Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/

Old 01-03-05, 09:47 AM
xGSxDUBZx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/

I have a 98GS300 and the lower ball joint came off while I was driving it and good thing it didn't happen on the freeway. Now, the suspension lights are on (VCS or VSC and ABS lights) WHAT DO I DO to get rid of it? Bring it to the dealers or can I just reset it myself? Thanks!
Old 01-03-05, 10:11 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xGSxDUBZx
I have a 98GS300 and the lower ball joint came off while I was driving it and good thing it didn't happen on the freeway. Now, the suspension lights are on (VCS or VSC and ABS lights) WHAT DO I DO to get rid of it? Bring it to the dealers or can I just reset it myself? Thanks!

too late....abs, yaw and another sensor are blown...... time to go to the dealer for $855 in parts...
Old 01-03-05, 12:24 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

HOLY S&#^%T!!! The same exact thing happened to me and I called everyone from CL I knew who has a GS3 98-99 years to check out there ball joints....I was pulling out of my parking space at work to head home and as I pull off my whole right front end drops to the floor!!!! Thank God it didnt happen on the HIghway!! I would probably not be writing this if it did....see my car already has a 2" drop on the front so when the front dropped it locked the wheel in the fender and the lower ball joint fell into my 20x9 wheel. It just would not move for anything...I couldnt even get it onto a flat bed to tow the car to a mechanic. I was lucky that my car didn't sustain any damage either only the ball joint....I ordered BOTH sides instead of just one from Paul at Carson and had them overnite it to a mechanic by my job who put both sides i for $100...even Paul said it shouldnt cost anymore than $30 each side to put in.....as far as my VSC lights and all...they never went off...I would got to Autozone and have them check the codes and see if they will reset...if not you may have to take the car into the Stealership for service....Thank God you are okay and I recommend everyone with a 98-2000 GS to check theres out and have them replaced....just a precautionary method...

Take care!!!

Danny
Old 01-03-05, 01:03 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

I had same problem last year.
I had noise from the front suspension, and took the car to the dealer.
The dealer kept the car for one whole day, and told me there is nothing wrong with the car.
I took my car to Midas next day, and they found both front lower ball joint cracked and loose.
It took them 5 min to find the problem.
I took the car back to the dealer to replace them under warranty.

Is there ball joint in the rear? If so, I need to check those as well.
Old 01-03-05, 03:43 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post VSC/ABS lights are on.

You might have damaged the speed sensor in the knuckle assembly. Have it checked.
Good luck and sorry to hear about your trouble with the GS.
Will
Old 01-03-05, 06:10 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

How many miles do you have on your car when the ball joints started having problems?
I have a 99 GS300 with about 105k miles on it....Guess i should go have em checked?
Old 01-03-05, 06:29 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lyrical
How many miles do you have on your car when the ball joints started having problems?
I have a 99 GS300 with about 105k miles on it....Guess i should go have em checked?
It would be otherwise time to replace the balljoints anyway... the balljoints are a maintenance part and need to replace after a certain period.

After the replacement your car's steering will feel so much better
Old 01-03-05, 07:39 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone take picture of this ball joints? Thanks
Old 01-03-05, 09:02 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you're ok Bro. Now I'm worried, I have a 98 GS4 with 20's it seems like it wants to "float" a little at 85+ MPH, maybe thats the problem.
Old 01-04-05, 09:02 AM
xGSxDUBZx
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by HKGS300
It would be otherwise time to replace the balljoints anyway... the balljoints are a maintenance part and need to replace after a certain period.

After the replacement your car's steering will feel so much better
After I replaced the balljoint if feel's a little better. However, I don't feel safe driving it anymore. The car has about 105k miles and I've never thought that I would have this problem with a lexus. I almost hit the curb, front and side kit cracked and the front rim 20's was also damaged. And it took us almost 4 hours to load the car on the flatbed cause the car was too low and stupid tow truck driver damaged my rear bumper while loading it on the trailer
Old 01-04-05, 07:37 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I replaced the balljoint if feel's a little better. However, I don't feel safe driving it anymore. The car has about 105k miles and I've never thought that I would have this problem with a lexus.

welll to be honest rollin on 20's puts stress on parts Lexus never intended there to be stress on

you went a 105k miles on OEm balljoints thats pretty good ...t

you have to remember its a Lexus parts do break .......things do happen

when you change the original design
Old 01-05-05, 03:17 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

Now i'm afraid to drive my car

Is there any where else to order these ball joints? And also how long would the install take? Could it be a DIY kinda thing?
Old 01-05-05, 03:31 PM
xGSxDUBZx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lyrical
Now i'm afraid to drive my car

Is there any where else to order these ball joints? And also how long would the install take? Could it be a DIY kinda thing?

You can go to the lexus dealership or Kragen store and order the parts. It will tak you about 30 mins. to an hour to install it if you have the right tools....Now, to me lexus is a P.O.S.
Old 01-05-05, 03:36 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yikes, we had a dealer check our car out before we bought ours and he said 'keep an eye out on the ball joints' -
I'm going to get them replaced ASAP

Here's some info I found on what they are/do from a napa web site

http://www.autobizweb.com/partsdeptnapa/ball_joint.htm
Old 01-05-05, 06:33 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=xGSxDUBZx....Now, to me lexus is a P.O.S. [/QUOTE]

Can i ask what car you drove before this ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/