Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Repack berrings when getting new rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 07:58 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repack berrings when getting new rotors?

I have 105K miles on my GS and the TRD slotted rotors are badly warped. I had them flipped once 2 years ago and it happened again soon after. I've been driving with them warped for a LONG time, and now they are vibrarting even when I hit the brakes while driving slowly. It's time to replace.

I am curious if I should have the berrings repacked at the same time with the mileage that I have. The car is still very quiet but I would think it would make sense while everything is apart. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-05, 01:53 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Well there are things to consider. If cash is an issue, and the bearings are still good, leave them. If you have the few extra bucks, go ahead and change them. Lexus generally uses top notch components that last a long time. I'd expect the bearings to be no different..
Old 01-01-05, 02:30 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

one major problem with aftermarket rotors, especially drileld/slotted ones is they warp. A good way to avoid this is when tightening the rims, tighten them by hand and count each turn of the nuton the wheel and tighten all 5 nuts evenly on each wheel
Old 01-01-05, 06:03 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
I have 105K miles on my GS and the TRD slotted rotors are badly warped. I had them flipped once 2 years ago and it happened again soon after. I've been driving with them warped for a LONG time, and now they are vibrarting even when I hit the brakes while driving slowly. It's time to replace.

I am curious if I should have the berrings repacked at the same time with the mileage that I have. The car is still very quiet but I would think it would make sense while everything is apart. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm a firm believer in "if its not broke dont fix it"

im going to assume when you say "flipped" you had them on a brake lathe

it is possible that who ever did this didnt do it right

i would go get them cut or turned on the brake lathe again to see if this helps

this should be less than $60

good luck and happy new year
Old 01-01-05, 11:18 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
...i would go get them cut or turned on the brake lathe again to see if this helps

this should be less than $60....
I'm new to Lexus cars, please bear with me. I have a similar issue on my "new to me" 02 GS430. Does it make sense to cut old rotors when I can buy new ones off e-bay for less than $60 each? Are the ebay rotors ok to use? (I like everything to be right on my car, and I don't like to waste money on OEM if if it's not needed.)

On my other cars I never have cut the rotors, I just buy new pads until the rotors wear out (~two sets of pads for one rotor). In the past I used to cut rotors, half the time, the cut rotor warped with a few months and I was redoing the brake job and buying a new rotor anyway.
Old 01-01-05, 03:33 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
I'm new to Lexus cars, please bear with me. I have a similar issue on my "new to me" 02 GS430. Does it make sense to cut old rotors when I can buy new ones off e-bay for less than $60 each? Are the ebay rotors ok to use? (I like everything to be right on my car, and I don't like to waste money on OEM if if it's not needed.)

On my other cars I never have cut the rotors, I just buy new pads until the rotors wear out (~two sets of pads for one rotor). In the past I used to cut rotors, half the time, the cut rotor warped with a few months and I was redoing the brake job and buying a new rotor anyway.
One reason you "cut the rotors is because they have warped
(i used to work for a mechanic and everytine we did brakes i "cut" the rotors )
ii have never used Ebay rotors so i cant comment on them

but its my understanding that OEM is the way to go because its made for that car

im not saying not to buy aftermarket rotors just becareful which ones you choose to go with
Old 01-02-05, 06:28 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
One reason you "cut the rotors is because they have warped
So you've cut rotors and gotten good life after cutting 'em?

FWIW, I've never had any luck, every warped rotor I've cut has warped with a few weeks of driving. Also, I've cut non-warped rotors and had them warp within a few weeks of driving. That's why i don't cut rotors anymore. I just slap in a new set of pads and let them seat on the non-cut rotors. Saves me $20 and I don't have to wait for the machining. I know lots of people that do it this way.
Old 01-03-05, 09:23 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my GS430 used w/22K miles, the rotors were warped and pulsated bigtime at speed. The dealer cut them via warranty and they have been fine since.