Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in having LS400 brakes on your 2nd Gen GS?
Yes, because it would be cheaper!!
55.56%
Yes, because I like the way LS400 brakes look.
22.22%
No, I still like Supra TT brakes better.
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 08:43 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpluxGS
oops...

I guess I stand corrected...my bad...

GO LS400 brakes!!!!

pimpluxGS
Does anybody know if ALL Supra TT rotors would have curved cooling vanes ?

What about the LS400 rotors ?
Attached Thumbnails LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!-rotor-with-curved-vanes.jpg  
Old 04-18-12, 08:53 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smooth0033
So thanks to member 5t341th, I was able to figure out what the problem was. I bought the LS4 calipers but I did not purchase the LS4 StopTech rotors. I was trying to mount the calipers on GS4 rotors. So I put an order in last week for some LS4 stoptech rotors and I should have them at will call today or tomorrow. I coulda got some OEM rotors for half the price but my rear rotors are also stop tech drilled and slotted and i wanted them to match. Thanks again to 5t341th.

As for rotation :
Which direction should the discs rotate?
It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

•Straight
•Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
•Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Hope this helps someone doing this mod.
1. Buy the RCA's for no problems, at least the front. (I bought Exact's)
2. Buy the Sumitomo LS4 Brake Calipers (year 1998-2000) (autozone has them and they are sumitomo)
3. Buy LS4 rotors. (year 1998-200 either OEM replacement of aftermarket)
Then your mod will be seamlessly and you will have no problems.
Are both the (Mk4) TT Supra rotors AND the (95-00) LS400 rotors Pillar Vanes ?

OR does one use Curved Vanes (2JZ-GTE Supra!?)

REAL curious about this... I love the curved vane rotors. (especially if the cost is similar!)
Old 04-19-12, 12:05 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It really depends on what brand rotors you buy. An easy way to find out is to just stick a straw down one of the vanes (careful not to drop it in LOL) and you'll know right away if they are straight or curved. If the vanes are straight and not cross drilled or slotted it doesnt matter which direction. But if they are cross drilled or slotted they are definitely directional regardless if the vanes are curved or not.

Old 04-19-12, 12:31 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Oh okay...gotcha. So if the rotors are cross-drilled and slotted, the slots and hole go different directions on each the Left and Right rotors then, right?

This (cheaper) set of cross-drilled has the holes going in the same direction on both rotors... I wonder if it matter with cross-drilled ONLY ?
Attached Thumbnails LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!-max_gold_cross_drilled_imego.png  
Old 04-19-12, 02:10 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most companies who do cross drilled or slotted are directional. The one in your pictures was probably just for photo purposes. They should point different directions when you actually get them. But I would confirm that with whichever company you buy them from just to be certain

Edit: after having a second look at that photo the two rotors are not he same. One has to holes than the other.

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 05-09-12 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 12:23 PM
bachde
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default looking for RCA

Hello friends...!!!

Would friends here show me where I can buy those RCA? Because I will put LS400 caliper into my GS400. Which size is the best... I'm using factory rims 18 inches.. from gs350.

Rotors... where I can buy good ls400 (LS400 95 up) white website... which brand name model etc...

I saw on ebay those centric 2 pieces look good... I wonder if they have the front size for ls400 (95 up)

Help please...

thanks

De
Old 07-06-12, 12:49 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bachde
Hello friends...!!!

Would friends here show me where I can buy those RCA? Because I will put LS400 caliper into my GS400. Which size is the best... I'm using factory rims 18 inches.. from gs350.

Rotors... where I can buy good ls400 (LS400 95 up) white website... which brand name model etc...

I saw on ebay those centric 2 pieces look good... I wonder if they have the front size for ls400 (95 up)

Help please...

thanks

De
Contact CL Vendor FIGS for 2GS RCAs.
Old 07-07-12, 08:03 PM
mikelips
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes fit or not!?

So im new on this topic, Which Supra brakes fit? and which ls400 brakes are we talking about? Can someone simplify it for me?
Old 07-10-12, 09:56 AM
bachde
Rookie

I believe the Supra twin turbo (93-98)
and the Lexus ls400 (95-200)

The Supra TT to my research it's a direct bolt on.

The LS400, we have to used the RCA (which it I"m going to find and use now).

De
Old 07-11-12, 11:14 AM
mikelips
Driver School Candidate

I believe the Supra twin turbo (93-98)
and the Lexus ls400 (95-200)

The Supra TT to my research it's a direct bolt on.

The LS400, we have to used the RCA (which it I"m going to find and use now).

De
So, which is a better and has more performance? Im guessing the Supra TT's, but that would look wierd with a lexus with brakes that say supra...lol to me atleast.
Old 07-12-12, 06:23 AM
bachde
Rookie

Yeah....

You can do some researches in this forum... there are some members who using Supra TT for GS400...

Performance... of course the Supra TT, but the LS400 4 pots is not far away from Supra TT.
The look... and you can put the lexus decal on the caliper after paint & clear top coated.
I think the LS400 is the best and cheaper too..

De

PS: I'm about to gather all the parts: rotors... RCA, brake line.... to do my GS400 with LS400 caliper.
Old 07-23-12, 02:00 PM
bachde
Rookie

Does any one do LS400 upgrade lately?
Especially with LS400 caliper decals

Where can I buy them, I've searched Ebay... but those are in UK too far...

thanks
Old 09-01-12, 06:01 PM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does any one do LS400 upgrade lately?
Especially with LS400 caliper decals

Where can I buy them, I've searched Ebay... but those are in UK too far...

thanks
I have done the upgrade recently.
Just make sure that the calipers are stripped down and re-built with new seals. Make sure you paint them with high temp black paint and forget the decals - any other colour than black on a GS300/GS400/Aristo looks stupid in my honest opinion. If you wanna put decals on the brakes, put a Sumitomo decal on them. LOL

Chris
Old 12-01-12, 01:16 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

I've read pages and pages of this "LS400" brake upgrade... I have yet to find any posts of performance difference between OEM GS brakes and the LS400 and/or the Supra TT brakes.. I don't know about you guys but the OEM brakes on GS are rock solid. at same time I'd love to see performance brake distance reduction numbers for teh LS and the TT.. I read someone was going to but haven't seen any details. If someone has or knows here would be good info..
Old 12-01-12, 02:59 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
I've read pages and pages of this "LS400" brake upgrade... I have yet to find any posts of performance difference between OEM GS brakes and the LS400 and/or the Supra TT brakes.. I don't know about you guys but the OEM brakes on GS are rock solid. at same time I'd love to see performance brake distance reduction numbers for teh LS and the TT.. I read someone was going to but haven't seen any details. If someone has or knows here would be good info..
i think you need to reread the pages then, alot of people talk about the advantages, larger rotor size, a fixed caliper with 4 pistons and increased breaking force resulting in shorter distances..

Quick Reply: LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!