Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

will it take the beating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-01, 02:17 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im assuming that many of the people here drive their gs's hard sometimes, if not most of the time. I for one, take my gs300 to the limit at least once a week, and drive it hard the rest of the days. It has almost never seen 'normal' driving, other than the first 1k miles I put on it. So compared to other cars, do you guys think the gs could take the hard driving conditions? Or was the gs built more to cruise in. And whats likely to go wrong in long run by putting it under this constant pressure?

this is a nice new topic to be articulated about -=)

Old 05-03-01, 02:31 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Fierce,

Welcome to the board. Regarding driving the GS hard-

I used to drive my GS very hard day in and day out, until my brakes went out @ 10,000 miles. After that I cut back on the hard driving, and it seems to be going well. I think if you're going to drive it hard often, you need to make the necessary modifications. I'm slowly doing so, and I think you ought to as well. By the way, a great way to start off is to get a front strut bar, will help on the cornering a lot.

Old 05-03-01, 06:06 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Yes, the GS can be driven hard, as long as you don't go off-roading!

Michael Kilty and I both track our GS's on road courses. Other members track their IS300's. And don't forget Scott in his SC. I believe we have post pics in the Racing Gallery.

I don't think you can drive harder on the street than on the track, at least for most people.

Oh, welcome to ClubLexus.
Old 05-03-01, 09:37 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Calvin, do you have a pix of ur car w/the Dazz Matiz? love those rims.
Old 05-03-01, 09:45 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

thanx for the welcome guys -=)

stwo, what kinda necessary modifications do u have in mind..other than the strut bar? i got a tanabe hypermedallion exhaust as far as performance goes..think i should get the rmm intake? Ive been reading the boards, and i hear that you get some pinging because the computer is already at its max air.fuel ratio...so im kinda thinking against it..and it might void some small warranties here and there...whats your point of view?

thanks
Old 05-04-01, 12:17 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

fierce gs - Welcome to our community! I really have no comment about your thread but was wondering about your clear tail lights.

Where did you get em or did you do it yourself? And once again welcome.
Old 05-04-01, 08:04 AM
sTWO
Rookie

Default fierce

Hey fierce,

Definitely get the RMM front strut bar, and if you feel like it, get a rear strut bar too (RMM doesn't make one to my knowledge unfortunately). You may want to go with a different company that makes both sets so that you won't have mismatching bars, but that's just a personal preference.

I have avoided the RMM Intake for some of the reasons you stated, and the fact that I think there are better buys out there for the GS. For example, after being dissatisfied with how loose my steering is, I'm going to follow the recommendation of some others on this board and get the ECU. That's a $125 change that will impact how I drive the car every second. To me, that's a worthwhile upgrade. Also in the process of shopping around for a rear strut bar.

Lastly, I've just ordered RMM stainless steel brakelines and brake fluid for a better braking feel. I'll post the impact they have once I get them in and have a chance to test out their effectiveness.

My advice is to first add the upgrades that give you a better feel for everyday driving, then I would go with suff like intakes, etc.

Old 05-04-01, 09:56 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

1niceride,
the center ones you could get shipped from japan. from my understanding, those are pretty normal down there. the corner ones are actually still being custom made for me, and they are not on my car yet. It has taken 3 months so far, and I think it will take another 2-4 weeks. Pefection takes time, and nothing but perfect goes on my lex -=)

Both sets were hooked up by a friend of mine, but Im sure if you looked around you could easily find some companies that sell them..especially the center ones..

hope that helps
Old 05-04-01, 08:15 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

fierce gs - Yeah i knew about the center lights but they cost 400 last time i checked. I have never heard of the outer tail lights being cleared so i was kinda wondering.

I thought there was a place that i missed when i was looking. So how much is it costing to get them custom done?

Wow 3 months already and counting huh. So you must have another set of tail lights to mess with.
Old 05-04-01, 10:11 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

both sets came out to a toal of $700. this is without using my existing lights tho. so basically at the end, ill have the cleared ones installed, and my stock ones in a box in the corner of my closet.. -=)

it would have been kinda ackward driving around without tail lights for a few months, wouldnt it have?
lol

nite
Old 05-04-01, 11:05 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by disc108
Calvin, do you have a pix of ur car w/the Dazz Matiz? love those rims.
Here's an older pic with the Eibach/Bilstein combo, b4 the Teins.
Attached Thumbnails will it take the beating?-calsgs.jpg  
Old 05-05-01, 01:13 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up love the AP brakes !

I love the brakes and like the rims.

Fierce thanks for the info.

Last edited by 1niceride; 05-05-01 at 01:22 AM.