Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How important is front/rear brake bias in daily driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 10:12 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How important is front/rear brake bias in daily driving?

Hi guys,

I just wanted everyone's thoughts on this. The front and rear brake bias is a pretty important thing. Come on, this is stopping the car. If your brakes don't work well, you are putting yourself and your passenger in a life-threatening situation everytime in the car.

There is a balance between the stopping power of the front brakes and the rear brakes. Assuming the engineers at car manufacturers have done their research and put in the best brake for the cost, how does putting a Big Brake Kit (BBK) in front help if it potentially upsets this balance? What about upgrading the rear brakes? What about upgrading both at the same time? Upgrading both independently?

I realize in emergency situations, it is more critical but will anyone even notice in regular daily driving? The emergency alone would prompt me to get something that works but just wondering about other aspects of the changes in day-to-day usage.

This is an ongoing discussion with some of the NorCal guys. There is info and data being talked about but I wanted to get more members' experience on this topic. This will help pool more info as well as educate many who are not aware of this issue.

Last edited by Neo; 11-16-04 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-16-04, 07:20 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding of the situation is that wehn we do a front bbk the kit is designed to maintain the same bias. This is done by changing the number and size of piston in the caliper. This is supposed to keep the same bias.
Old 11-17-04, 09:13 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The StopTech guys know all about this- Steve Ruiz over there is a whiz, as smart a brake guy as you will ever find... I don't think they'd mind me posting this link.

StopTech brake bias article

The StopTech 355mm BBK continues to impress me on a daily basis!!!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 11-17-04 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-17-04, 11:23 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Bob. No need to sell me on StopTech since I have the same kit up front.

I brought this up only since I see some looking into put on a rear setup independent of the front kit manufacturer. For example, if I was to put Supra TT brakes on the rear. I think many are looking to increase the looks, especially with 20s, the rear rotors look dwarfed. I am curious to the tolerances of the different BBKs. From looking at the StopTech chart, it looks like the front only kit is a bit front biased. I am wondering if increasing the rear would help. The hard part is how to determine how much.

You can dial down the rear with a proportioning valve if the increased rotor and caliper/piston puts too much bias in the rear but testing this would be difficult for the average driver.
Old 11-17-04, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is an interesting topic. what i think is, if you talk about just normal daily use, probably brake bias isn't going to affect too much. it's only a factor when you do repeated hard braking as well as tracking.

and if you talk about emergency braking, i was talking to rmmgs4 the other day. our cars have independent abs system. now it seems like, if brakes really hard, the system will sense the 4 wheels independently and re apply the pressure. if that's the case, would that help/affect the brake balance?

that's something i dont' know...