Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Strut Bar...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 11:57 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Strut Bar...

Yea, so check this out, I got it about a week ago and just got around to putting it on last night and guess what.... DOESN'T FIT!!

The hood won't close, and I was afraid to start the car with it on b/c it is soooooo close to the intake manifold. See pics:

Originally posted by Eric-GS300-
I think you got sold a supra TT strut bar, explains why it fits, but hood won't close. I got one for a supra TT just sitting around that I can't use also, went through all the trouble of making the front mounts too.
Looks like it has enough clearence to be safe to start, that's how mine was, under load a light throttle to full throttle jump while moving might make it hit, but driving with your hood open is ill advised lol.
Hadn't thought about that; that could very well be the case! Lexus Pros said it was brand new (although it came slightly damaged from shipping, bleh) and that they had "test fitted it on [their] own SC300 and Soarer". So I don't know what to do... I'm waiting for a reply from them. This is just a big let down, but oh well, **** happens.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 11-08-04 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 12:09 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

lexuspros is currently selling this on ebay. They have pics of their car w/the strut on, but not w/the hood closed.

Last edited by indelible; 11-08-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 01:01 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

That looks identical to mine although I havn't installed it yet. Oh this could be fun
Old 11-08-04, 08:32 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Hehe, yea I got mine from them off of e-bay.

They replied to me today:
E-mail from Lexus Pros
It looks like you're bar is higher than our test bar (I don't know how this is possible, but the hood on our model clears the bar by a few millimeters.) We've sold quite a few of these bars without any problems. But, if you do not want to keep the bar then please send it back to us...
We will credit you the full amount of the auction . Otherwise, you can try to tighten the bar to the bracket even further so the bar will be tighter and bend closer to the engine. Thank you,

LexusPros Team
Old 11-08-04, 11:02 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

tightening the bar any further would cause it to hit the intake manifold so i guess sending it back is your only option.
Old 11-08-04, 11:23 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by siaxazn
tightening the bar any further would cause it to hit the intake manifold so i guess sending it back is your only option.
Yep, exactly.... I've e-mailed the to ask if they can get me the "correct" bar, so we'll see what happens!

Has anyone else had this problem? I know reggiek has, but anyone else?
Old 11-13-04, 01:08 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

call me the next victim......hehhe
i too, purchased the bar and it does not fit!!!...i tried and tried and tried........but the damn bar just
wont fit. sure the holes lined up pretty well but the bar itself kisses the intake manifold check to cheek!!
there is no way this bar cud fit so i gave up!!!!!
Old 11-13-04, 10:50 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Guys,
My car was the test car and I was there for the test fitting, everything seemed fine, only thing that I dont like is (that it is harder to close your hood than usual; as there is some resistance) and second when you pop your hood up with the drivers controls, it comes up just a bit too happy.
All and all, This strut bar is ok and you guys should be getting your refunds in the full amount or a replacement bar when the manufacturer gets the fitments right.
Old 11-13-04, 01:58 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus Pros looked for about a week for a shorter bar for me, but couldn't find one, so I guess I'm gonna send mine back.

Calvin - If I REALLY wanted to I *think* I could completely close my hood, but there is no way I'm putting that kind of stress on the hood and latch. I forced it down enough to catch the latch, but to get it to un-latch I had to put a good bit of down pressure on it. It's clear that the bar doesn't fit as designed for one reason or another.
BTW, did you have that fire-smothering black stuff still attached to the underside of the hood? Maybe that is part of our problems....
Old 11-13-04, 08:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

rstspeed,

I completely agree with you, I do not like that type of stress on my hood either. and to your smoldering black stuff on the underside of the hood, nope!!
Old 11-14-04, 07:04 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Calvin L
...and to your smoldering black stuff on the underside of the hood, nope!!
AH HA!! Houston, I think we've found the problem...
Old 11-15-04, 12:13 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

wait..do you mean the Hood insulation? if it is a layered (cardboard-like material) it it supposed to be there, but if it isnt that...you maybe call houston and confirm your problem.
Old 11-15-04, 12:19 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Calvin L
wait..do you mean the Hood insulation? if it is a layered (cardboard-like material) it it supposed to be there, but if it isnt that...you maybe call houston and confirm your problem.
Hardy har har... lol, yea that's the stuff I'm talking about. Isn't that what you meant, too? Or did you think I meant grease or something? lol NASTY!!!
Old 11-15-04, 12:21 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Is that your car? If so, you've got the "cardboardy" stuff on there, so if it fit on your car then it should fit on my car now.... oh well.
Old 11-15-04, 04:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default strut bar

Some of you know I'm o for 2 with strut bars from lexuspros. First one was too low. Second was too tall. I've given up. Strut bar is not that important anyway. When I have some money to throw away, I'll get a JIC strut bar. Of course if anyone gets the right one from levuspros, let us all know.

Quick Reply: New Strut Bar...