Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

After sway bar install, rear suspension popping will NOT go away

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 10:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry After sway bar install, rear suspension popping will NOT go away despite many 'fixes'

Man I wish I'd never installed these Daizen sway bars. Heck... I didn't even install them myself, I had them "professionally" installed by a shop that does quite a bit of import modifications.

At first they tightened the bars up too much so the squeeked a bunch going over bumps. So I took it back and they loosened them up per the specs that I was given from this forum. They said that it seemed too loose, but we trusted the forum. I think the forum said something like 24ft-lb in the front, and 13 ft-lb in the rear. Well that worked for a couple of months and then I started to get a popping noise when turning into an incline slowly (driveway or whatever). I waited a few months because I was sick of dealing with this problem, but it got worse. So I took it back to the original shop and they tighetened everything back up to a compromise between the specs I was given on this board, and what they deemed 'normal' tightness.

Well the noise went away after that, but only a couple of weeks later, I went into a driveway and clipped the curb just a bit with the back right tire... nothing major at all, it was probably a 3 inch curb and I was going very slow (I always go slow into driveways and such). I heard a loud pop and all of a sudden ANYTHING I went over would make the popping noise. In other words, any time the body of the car shifted at all it would pop, and it was much louder.

This time I was so tired of taking my car to this performance place, especially because it's out of the way, has hours of operation only when I work, and obviously I can't get any sort of loaner car, so I took it to my local Lexus dealer.

The lexus tech said that the right rear bolt was stripped out entirely and that's what was making the popping noise, he used bolt cutters to get the bolt off and replaced it. I think he also said he replaced one of the sway bar end links as it was worn (the things that you can move around with your hand kind of like a shower head, apparently this one was particularly worn, and apparently there is a TSB for this on our cars?).

OK so the sound was gone again.

Here I am not even a week later, haven't hit any curbs or potholes or anything at all, just normal very cautious driving, and the popping sound has gradually come back slowly but surely. This time it's not as loud, but it does it constantly... taking corners, going over inclines, hitting bumps unevenly.

If it doesn't get fixed this time, I'm just gonna ask them to put my OEM sway bars and OEM bushings back on, and sell the diazen bars to the highest bidder to help pay for all of the troubleshooting labor I've paid for with these damn things.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Threxx; 10-18-04 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-18-04, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man maybe you should call todd and see what othe causes it could be. i have had the daizen sways for over a yr and it's been as quiet as i can ask for
Old 10-18-04, 02:39 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
man maybe you should call todd and see what othe causes it could be. i have had the daizen sways for over a yr and it's been as quiet as i can ask for
Todd is a guy at Daizen? I've tried to find a phone number everywhere on their website... even did a whois lookup on their domain name, searched this board as well as google for a phone number, etc, etc... no luck. I sent them an email but no response so far.
Old 10-18-04, 08:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Threxx
Todd is a guy at Daizen? I've tried to find a phone number everywhere on their website... even did a whois lookup on their domain name, searched this board as well as google for a phone number, etc, etc... no luck. I sent them an email but no response so far.
Todd is the Todd of TMEngineering. He installed mine as well and no problems yet.
Old 10-18-04, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

http://www.daizensporttuning.com/home.html

todd is the owner of tmengineering. i think they are the biggest seller of daizen stuff? you can email him at todd@tmengineering.net
Old 10-18-04, 09:11 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

todd is the owner of tmengineering. i think they are the biggest seller of daizen stuff? you can email him at todd@tmengineering.net
Yeah, I've been to the daizen website... there's no contact info there except for that email address which they haven't replied to.

I'd feel bad talking to todd since I didn't buy it from him, but now I wish I did because Sewell Lexus hasn't got a clue.. they couldn't even give me directions with the product or anything. I mean I guess that's to be expected when buying performance parts from a dealership, but I just didn't think I would need this kind of hand-holding for a simple mod.
Old 10-18-04, 10:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd feel bad talking to todd since I didn't buy it from him, but now I wish I did because Sewell Lexus hasn't got a clue..
Try and contact Todd. He is a nice guy and I'm sure he will help you out with some advice even though you did not buy the parts from him. He is very busy right now prepping for SEMA so you might not be able to get a hold of him right away. Try emailing at the address rominl posted.
Old 10-19-04, 09:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This may not be the bar but a symptom of some other suspension problem that the rigid sway bar brings out. How many miles on your car? Did they apply the lube to the bushings? Are all the bushings new?

By stiffening the suspension, any worn/wearing suspension bushings elsewhere will be subjected to added stresses as the bar tries to reduce body roll. That could be any number of other suspension bushings. Have a trusted mechanic examine the other suspension parts for wear. My suspicion is that the bar found a weak/worn part that needs to be replaced.

Last edited by RA40; 10-19-04 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 05:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

They're one and the same it seems. The internet record for Daizen Sport Tuning shows it's run by TM Engineering also.
Old 10-20-04, 11:43 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Threxx...

What other suspension mod have you done to your car (other those listed on your sig)? Springs/Shocks? Coilovers? etc...?

What about anything done to the brakes? brake pads? etc...?

Pete
Old 10-20-04, 12:04 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PHML
Threxx...

What other suspension mod have you done to your car (other those listed on your sig)? Springs/Shocks? Coilovers? etc...?

What about anything done to the brakes? brake pads? etc...?

Pete
No other suspension/performance mods.

After reading a thread in this same forum further down I see it mentions I should only use 15 ft-lb to torque the bolts on the sway bar but I should use lock tite to keep it from coming loose. Is this on both front and rear? I thought I remembered somebody saying the fronts should be a bit tighter?
Old 10-20-04, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bitkahuna
They're one and the same it seems. The internet record for Daizen Sport Tuning shows it's run by TM Engineering also.
if i remember right tm engineering help to setup the site for daizen. the owners know each other for a long time, but tm is in socal and daizen is in east coast. ended up tm help daizen to do a lot of the testing and r&d.
Old 10-20-04, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

if i remember right tm engineering help to setup the site for daizen. the owners know each other for a long time, but tm is in socal and daizen is in east coast. ended up tm help daizen to do a lot of the testing and r&d.
Hmm... it's no biggie to me, but if that's true, why does the whois record for diazensporttuning say the following:

-------------------------------------------
Registrant
Dominguez Enterprises
sales@daizensporttuning.com
1017 S. 1st St.
Las Vegas, NV 89101 US
+1.3106319979

Administrative
Dominguez Enterprises
TM Engineering
1017 S. 1st St.
Las Vegas, NV 89101 US
+1.3106319979

Billing
Dominguez Enterprises
TM Engineering
1017 S. 1st St.
Las Vegas, NV 89101 US
+1.3106319979

Technical
Dominguez Enterprises
TM Engineering
1017 S. 1st St.
Las Vegas, NV 89101 US
+1.3106319979
-------------------------------------------

Also, why is there no contact information on daizensporttuning.com about the business except an e-mail address? Where are they on the East coast? What's the number?

As I say, it's no biggie, it doesn't matter one bit to me if they're the same business. We're lucky to have the Daizen products available, they're excellent quality.
Old 10-20-04, 09:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's a funny addy, no idea where that is in LV. owner of daizen is fortune, he's in east, forgot exactly where but i think it's in NJ. i know lexforlife met him before, together with couple other people

now about the addy and the phone number, i have absolutely no idea though. i only talked to fortune once before
Old 10-21-04, 11:25 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bolt coming loose has nothing much to do with which sway bars you have. It has a slight increase in load, but I have seen those come loose on totally stock cars.

A tiny bit of blue loctite would be best, anything like the red might make it too hard to take off next time.

Hell if you want to blame those bars for making the end links come loose, the TRDs would have made things even worse. Just an example to show that the type of bar is not relevant really.

Quick Reply: After sway bar install, rear suspension popping will NOT go away