Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

NEW GS400 owner, which mods work??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01, 10:11 AM
Kerr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I just bought a Black /tan 98 GS400 for the better half to drive. The car will come with 18x8 and 18x10 Enkei Aigsus or maybe they are Aegis chromed wheels. The car also has a sports exhaust system on it but I'm not sure what kind. I'm will be adding more part in the near future and was wondering which ones are worth the money and which ones are not. So far this is what want to do.

1) Remove all Chrome trim, or have it painted black.
2) Swift racing ecu/intake
3) Unorthox? crank pulley
4) Rod millin 3:73 gear swap
5) spring to lower it about a inch to inch and half.
6) side skirts and l tuned grill

Any sugestion would be great.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 04-25-01, 10:52 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up welcome

Shawn,

these are the orders of mods i would do:

1. steering ecu from steve at carson toyota, only ~$125, better steering feel and feedback. the gs4 is too powerful for the stock ecu, too dangerous, imo. i am just afraid you mrs might complain it is too heavy, i only concern.

2.lower the car, especially you will have the 18' set up, you need to fill up the fender well better, for look and the important handling factor.

lt-tune, or eibach+bilsteins set up. i think the eibach would be better if you want more than 1". let me know if want the bilsteins, several members picked up from me at greta price.
if you not ready for the lowering, at least get the upper strut bar. for $225, is worth every penny.

3.gs does not have sooo much chrome like many domestic cars, so it does not bother me that much. with painting, you take the chances of fading or flaking in the future. just my thoughts.

4.torque conv or swift ecu- this is is tough choice for me too.

5.side skirt+grille: it all depends which is more important to you? looks or performance. i lean more towards performance issue. it is actually susupension, breaks, then performance. like i siad, the stock gs4 is plenty powerful, i like to tame those ponnies under control.
just my 2 CENTS.
will
Old 04-25-01, 11:49 AM
JacobT

Welcome on board,

1) Remove all Chrome trim, or have it painted black.

I used the black out tape and it worked out very well.

2) Swift racing ecu/intake

Torque convertor takes higher priority for me

3) Unorthox? crank pulley

Will do very little for the GS

4) Rod millin 3:73 gear swap

I went with the TRD LSD and keep the same 3.24 gear ratio

5) spring to lower it about a inch to inch and half.

H&R/Bilstein and TRD sway bars work perfectly

6) side skirts and l tuned grill

RMM body kits all the way around
Old 04-26-01, 06:48 AM
Kerr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thinks for the suggestion.

I haven't had the car delivered or even driven it. To tell you the truth i have only seen the car twice. One when it was new and about a year ago. However it was all stock then. I would actually like to do everything including the $15,000 super charger system that Swift offers but that is a lot of money in parts.

I also found the wheels that are on there. this is the link. http://www.enkei.com/setflash.asp?f=1 but they are chrome.

On the exhaust that everyone talks about are they just mufflers or does it replace the pipes aslo. I mean if the mufflers help out that much what would happen if you switched to 3' pipe from the cat back. Also what about headers and Y pipe?