Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big Brake Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-01, 12:48 PM
GSAristo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Everyone,

From what I've heard and read about there are at least 5 possible big brake upgrades for the 98+ GS:

1) AP Racing
2) Brembo
3) RMM (supposedly based on the Supra TT brakes)
4) TRD (supposed based on the Supra TT brakes also)
5) Supra TT brake conversion

My questions are:

1) If I go with 1 or 2, then I won't be able to use my stock spare 16" wheel, right?
2) If I go with 3, 4, or 5, then can I still use my stock spare 16" wheel?
3) If 3, 4, and 5 are essentially the same (maybe different rotors), wouldn't #5 be most cost efficient (i.e. not pay for the name)?
4) Can I use brembo rotors with the Supra TT calipers?
5) Do any of these brake upgrades use special brackets so that the calipers bolt on to the stock calipers mounts?

The reason I ask these questions is that my car is a daily driver, rolling on 19" wheels. I would like to upgrade the performance (and looks) of the brakes. But one of my main concerns is that I will not be able to use the stock spare 16" wheel when in an emergency. I would really appreciate any feedback from those of you with big brake upgrades.

Thanks,
Old 04-21-01, 03:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Consider trying to get a Lexus 17" spare or another inexpensive big wheel spare.
Old 04-21-01, 05:38 PM
gs4power
Driver

Smile

Hi Allan,

Those are pretty much all the brake kits options for the GS, except for the the L-sportline kit (basically same as 3,4,5)

Options 1 and 2 won’t fit diameter-wise inside a 16” rim, that's for sure.

On the other options, the 16” wheel might fit diameter-wise, I’m not sure about this though. If it does, a wheel spacer must be used to clear the calipers. You could find the answer to this question at the Supra forums.

Something to think about: the stock rim size of the Supra TT is 17”, so the Supra-TT brakes based options (3,4,5) could be a tight fit diameter-wise inside a 16” rim.

If you decide to go for the Toyota based options, you can’t go wrong with # 5. Same design, same performance, and MUCH cheaper. You would only give up a little in looks.

Good luck in your brake selection!
Old 04-23-01, 10:36 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Question Supra TT Brakes

What has to be done to install the Supra TT Brakes?
Old 04-23-01, 11:56 PM
GSAristo
Driver

Question

Thanks for the reply bitkahuna and gs4power!

I think I'm leaning towards a combination actually. How does this sound...

Supra TT calipers in front
Brembo cross-drilled rotors in front (same size as Supra TT)
Brembo cross-drilled rotors in rear (same size as stock)
stainless lines front and rear
semi-metalic pads

Do you think this will work? Like David GS400 asked, will I need anything else? For example, will I need some adaptors/mounting brackets for the Supra TT calipers - or do they just bolt on to the stock location? I heard that the Supra TT rotors are 1 inch larger than the stock GS rotors.

Thanks again guys,

Old 04-24-01, 06:40 AM
gs4power
Driver

Cool

Hi Allan,

Sounds great! But make sure Brembo actually makes the Supra direct replacement rotors.

I while back there was a guy trying to sell Brembo rotors for the GS4 here at clublexus. But thanks to Steve’s inquiries with Brembo, we all concluded it was a fraud. Ask Brembo about the Supra rotors. On the rear rotors, ask Muhammad at Swiftracing.com about their drilled / slotted OEM repalcement discs.

It is my understanding the Supra TT rotors / calipers are direct replacements (bolt-on), not requiring custom work or special adapters . However, you might have to get the Supra mounting brackets in addition to the calipers. Most likely the mounting brackets aren’t the same, not sure on this though.
Old 04-24-01, 06:53 AM
JacobT

Supra TT brakes are direct bolt-on. The only thing you'll need to do is to either trim the back dust plate or remove it since the calipers are bigger than stock ones.

Here's the installed TT brakes on my GS4.

Attached Thumbnails Big Brake Upgrade Questions-brake3.jpg  
Old 04-24-01, 08:51 AM
RacingAristo

Could anyone give me an approximation of Supra TT brake and where I can get it? From Steve?
Old 04-24-01, 09:59 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to RA

Dennis,

get the supra tt breaks from steve @ carson. they costs ~$700 i think.

i was even thinking of just the pads, i read the pads along are quite effective. if you decide to get the whole set, verify the return policy with steve, because of the fact you have the 18"s, and the supra caliper is biggger.
will
Old 04-26-01, 01:12 PM
GSAristo
Driver

Question

JacobT,

Wow those look real nice. Are those the Supra TT rotors in the picture of your GS? Did you have them cross-drilled? I thought they only came slotted?

Also... just to confirm, no extra brackets are required to bolt on the calipers, right? Did you also do anything to your rear brakes? Did you do it yourself and if so, how long did it take to do the conversion? How much more of a difference was it in braking performance as compared to stock brakes?

Thanks for the info.,

Old 04-26-01, 02:19 PM
JacobT

Actually my brake setup was the RMM brake upgrade. The early version of RMM bake came with cross-drilled and slotted rotors. Now they only come with slotted ones.

YES. It's direct bolt on, no extra brackets are needed. It took me about one hour to do the conversion on each side. I left the rear brakes untouched.

After the installation, you can definitely tell the difference. The padel feeling is solid and it takes less effort to brake hard. If you really brake hard, you'll feel that strong stopping power for sure.

There's only one thing you'll need to watch out. I don't think the Supra TT brake upgrade will fit the stock 17" wheels.
Old 04-26-01, 04:27 PM
RacingAristo

If I purchase the Supra TT brake, where could I install the system in Southern California area? I need a trustworthy place since I need to trim the thing and don't want nobody to mess around. Thanks!
Old 04-26-01, 09:19 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default to RA

Dennis,

steve ffrom carson recommended me to go to Speed Pride Engineering in rowland hts, they do alot of supra and other luxury cars. ask for JOHN, and tell me WIll from diamond bar and steve from carson send you, he will give you a quote. 626-333-5398

may be you acn also talk to TODD at TM, and see if he can tackle the job and how much.

william
Old 04-26-01, 09:45 PM
RacingAristo

Thanks, Will.

I will upgrade to Supra TT brake probably next year 'til the current brakes are worn out.
Old 04-26-01, 10:08 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up that is wise

Dennis,

i would do the same too; unless you are really not satisfied with the stock set-ups.
actually i would probably just go for either TOMS, TRD, or ENDLESS pads, if i like and satisfied withsuch slight change, i probably just use diff pads. though the Supra TT pkg for the entire break is not bad of a price.

will

Quick Reply: Big Brake Upgrade Questions