Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Yet another L-Tuned vs. Bilstein Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 12:51 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yet another L-Tuned vs. Bilstein Thread...

I KNOW this topic has been discussed more than Kerry's Vietnam record, but...(and yes, I've looked at all the prior posts)
I have L-Tuned springs and shocks. The suspension seems a bit uncomposed only when going over short, quick bumps, in other words, an impulse-like disturbance (for you engineers). The suspension is left bouncing after the bump has disappeared, like it is under-damped, really is irritating me. Doesn't seem to absorb the initial hit of the short bump well (too stiff), and then once the bump is gone, it doesn't regain control very well (too soft). Otherwise, it's reasonable. My question is whether changing the shocks and putting in Bilstein Sports will make the suspension more controlled?, or less?, over these types of bumps. Don't mind stiff, but don't want bouncy due to overly stiff either.
What's the word? Thanks.
Old 09-22-04, 01:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

My Bilsteins were never what I'd describe as 'bouncy', BUT it sounds like you are keeping the L-tuned springs which are different from the Eibach's I paired mine with. I *think* somebody has that combo can't remember who.
Old 09-22-04, 01:54 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
My Bilsteins were never what I'd describe as 'bouncy', BUT it sounds like you are keeping the L-tuned springs which are different from the Eibach's I paired mine with. I *think* somebody has that combo can't remember who.

man dave out of sight out of mind

i had them before dave twisted my arms and legs to get the coilovers i just sold the ltuned springs and bilstein sports shocks to corkycal .. his name is calvin pm him so he can assist you with his feelings on the setup being that he does not have all the bracing and sways that i have
Old 09-22-04, 02:01 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Will do. For that matter, I only have the TRD Front STB and no braces underneath, so may be a good comparison, thanks. I plan on getting the Daizen sways soon, but I wouldn't expect them to affect the control of the suspension on straightaways.
Old 09-25-04, 08:54 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my l-tune and bilstein from ed.

they are a bit more stiff compared to stock. the dampening is much better. way better, no float.

for your comment on quick bumps and rebound, yes the bilstein dampens very quickly and you don't get the continued bounce. i need to get sway bars for my set up but it's not priority.

you will not be dissapointed with bilstein sports. some people complain that it may be a bit stiff.
in my opinion, they are about 40% stiffer compared to stock.

i've heard that l-tune shock blow out fairly quick so bilstein are the way to go with their life time warranty.

good luck.

Last edited by corkycal; 09-25-04 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 05:12 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have eibach pro-kit and bilstein sports

suspension is near stock quality, with little float, but there still is SOME float, as I cannot say in good conscience that it all left entirely.

the ride is near stock-but a tad stiffer and I'm on lighter L-Tuned OZ 17's.

I just ordered the TRD STB and TRD control brace to hopefully rid myself of the faint shaking I have in the wheel.

It seems that when you put upgraded suspensions in these cars, the steering becomes ultra sensitive and everything flexes more. I hope this stuff stiffens it a bit