Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Serious Brake Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-04, 09:33 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Brake Help Needed

Here's the problem:

I bought my wheels used from a member here awhile back. I was TOLD they would fit a big brake setup with no problem. I am beginning to believe that's total crap.

The member swore by good fitment but didn't know the offset. The wheels were still a good deal but now that I want to invest in a BBK, I need to know what, if anything, will fit.

I was reading around and read something about 2.75 needed between the rotor and the wheel. I have included a picture of a trusty ruler and the amount of space between the rotor and the wheel at 2.1 or 2.2. I may be measuring from the wrong spot though and was looking for some clarification from anyone who knew a bit or two on the subject.

Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited by Captain Bone; 09-11-04 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-11-04, 09:37 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

The pic sucks but you can see the ruler start at the rotor and extend 2.1 to the spoke.
Attached Thumbnails Serious Brake Help Needed-dscn0261.jpg  
Old 09-11-04, 09:38 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

A good shot of my fingers fitting between the spoke and caliper if that means anything?

-Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Serious Brake Help Needed-dscn0262.jpg  
Old 09-11-04, 09:44 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try to get some more info on the Rotora BBK.

The Rotora has one of the 'thinnest' calipers. I do not have any information about the GS kit, but I remember that i saw IS300 cars with standard 17" and 18" wheels using this kit.
Old 09-11-04, 09:49 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by HKGS300
You can try to get some more info on the Rotora BBK.

The Rotora has one of the 'thinnest' calipers. I do not have any information about the GS kit, but I remember that i saw IS300 cars with standard 17" and 18" wheels using this kit.
I agree that rotora would be your best bet...try contacting steve and see if he can help..
Old 09-11-04, 11:27 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yah...ask Steve....but anyone here got Rotora BBK? Ask them to measure it for you....from the rotors to the most outer pt of the BB caliper.

Good luck bro.
Old 09-11-04, 01:13 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Anthony,

If it is easy to take off your front wheel, the quickest thing to do is to try the StopTech templates:

http://www.stoptech.com/wheelfitchart/lexus.htm

Pick the kit you are considering or try them both since you already have the wheels off. Unless they changed it recently, the Rotora 4-piston template was not as accurate for me and I had to play with the pdf scaling to get it to the right size. If the StopTechs fit, then the Rotoras will fit. There is a couple of mms difference. If the StopTechs do not fit, then you'll need to play with the Rotora template. Steve has them. I'm not sure if I have mine anymore or else I'd send it to you.

If the StopTechs do fit and there seems to be a lot more space left, then you can try the templates from AP Racing and Brembo if you are considering them. The TTs will need AT LEAST the APs and Brembos. Also on the Rotoras, unless they have a new template, the prelim one for the 6-pot they sent me (which was very rough) required even more space than the APs/Brembos so they are big calipers.

Good luck. Post back or email me if you need more help.
Old 09-11-04, 03:08 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

LOL, the wheels aren't off and it isn't easy to do at the present time. I wish things were easier. lol

Thanks for all the advice anyways though. I sent Steve a PM.

Another thought I was thinking about was that my front's are 19x8 and the rears are 19x9.5. I don't think the other member would of gone with such a small figure (x8) if not for BBK clearence. Ah so confusing. (

-Anthony

Last edited by Captain Bone; 09-11-04 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 04:04 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Captain Bone
Another thought I was thinking about was that my front's are 19x8 and the rears are 19x9.5. I don't think the other member would of gone with such a small figure (x8) if not for BBK clearence. Ah so confusing. (

-Anthony
Sorry Anthony but that number will not determine BBK clearance at all.
Old 09-11-04, 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

A good shot of my fingers fitting between the spoke and caliper if that means anything?

-Anthony
If you can only fit one finger width between your spoke the stock caliper you have no chance of fitting a big brake upgrade. With my HREs I could get almost 3 finger widths between my spokes and the stock calipers.

But as Neo said, the StopTech template is definitely a good thing to use. And they have two templates, one if the car isn't going to be lowered much (like L-Tuned) which would fit more rims, and one if the car is going to be able to be lowered more which needs more clearance.
Old 09-11-04, 09:16 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
If you can only fit one finger width between your spoke the stock caliper you have no chance of fitting a big brake upgrade. With my HREs I could get almost 3 finger widths between my spokes and the stock calipers.

But as Neo said, the StopTech template is definitely a good thing to use. And they have two templates, one if the car isn't going to be lowered much (like L-Tuned) which would fit more rims, and one if the car is going to be able to be lowered more which needs more clearance.
Well that solves it. No BBK for me then because I just tried and can barely fit two fingers in between the caliper and the spoke.

Ah well, all is well that ends well I guess.

I'll just use the money for Sways and Strut Bars

Thanks guys,
Anthony
Old 09-12-04, 08:43 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, the wheels aren't off and it isn't easy to do at the present time. I wish things were easier. lol

Thanks for all the advice anyways though. I sent Steve a PM.

-Anthony
Anthony, do have specs on your wheels like the offset. Also, do you know if your front wheel is a high disk setup?
Old 09-12-04, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Anthony, do have specs on your wheels like the offset. Also, do you know if your front wheel is a high disk setup?
That's a good point - a spacer can get the space you need, Captain.
Old 09-12-04, 11:41 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

This is my major problem. The original owner could provide no offset or disk information.

-Anthony
Old 09-12-04, 02:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

This is my major problem. The original owner could provide no offset or disk information.
You might be able to actually measure the offset (center bore hole to outer edge of lip or something?).

As for disk fitment, that's fairly easy to see. Why don't you post pictures of the front rim? Looking along the car, and show lip, spoke angles, etc. I'd say generally if the spokes don't curve out from the center a fair bit before going back into the edge of the rim, they're probably not very high clearance.

Also, do you know the brand and rim size/width (I asume you do) - if so, maybe you can find the offsets the rim was/is offered in (I'm assuming it wasn't a custom rim).

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-12-04 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Serious Brake Help Needed