Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Contact! Tire and inner fender liner

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 03:14 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Contact! Tire and inner fender liner

I've been having this problem for awhile. I'm running clapped out supra struts with stock springs and trimmed bumpstops. the front wheels rub this liner to the point that I have wires showing underneath!!! I'm starting to freak because I have a problem where my park lights stay on after i leave the car and will not turn off. I think this has to do with the wires being rubbed. Also i noticed a yellow covered conduit, which is probably airbags, so i really have to fix this soon, could get ugly fast.

I have struts to replace but my problem is my lca's are shot too, and I dont want the worn lca's to **** up my new koni's. What do you guys think i should do?
Old 09-08-04, 03:51 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Geez doesn't sound pretty at all

I'd get replacement inner fender linings (that's what I'm planning to do as well) as I get a bit of rubbing on the inner edge of the tyre, but definitely replace the shocks ASAP! Also, what's wrong with your LCA?
Old 09-08-04, 04:47 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yikes!

I just mentioned this could happen in the other thread where paco was asking about 20's lol...

Anyway YES your electrical problems are due to this and YES the airbag is the yellow wire. The airbag will deploy if those two wires make contact so PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.

The airbag going off is a violent explosion and may very well cause an accident if it goes off while you're cruising.

Do what you need to do to raise the car or replace the shocks. The suspension travel is obviously too much and causing nasty damage.

Good luck, man.
Old 09-09-04, 04:48 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem. Does it rub on normal driving or when you hit bumps. mine did it when i hit bumps due to cutting the bumpstops. Supra shocks just don't have enought travel...put in new bumpstops and the rubbing stopped.
Old 09-09-04, 01:06 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I really notice it around 80+mph... The car leans so much during the sweaping turns that it takes a lot of the suspension travel out of the picture, look out... you know it's comming... you see the bump,,, you get ready for the horrible crunch noise,,, then you hit the bump and promptly appoligise to your car. Stiffer sway bars might help this, we'll soon see, as i will be installing them the same time as the konis.

Also get contact on staight roads at speed when I hit really sharp bumps.

I despise the feeling of taking turns riding on the bumpstops; so I trimmed mine. In hindsight I'd rather have left the bump stops in. Hopefully the eibachs and koni's will be much stiffer to compensate for the loss in suspension travel. If I had my choice of springs, I'd go with 12K in the front and 10K in the back with jic coilovers. But i dont have money to burn.
Old 09-13-04, 01:03 AM
Jc4dint
Driver

I had some scrubbing issues like you did, but not to a point of completely wearing the lining.

Now that i have much bigger wheels. I simply removed the lining and moved all the wiring up and away from making contact with the tire. You do have to pull on the wires a bit, just long enough to bring it up, then I zip tied them. Out of the way means out of mind.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-04, 03:38 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

JC4dint, got pics at all? Might be a project for me tomorrow... as well as my window regulator
Old 09-13-04, 05:50 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Jc4dint
I had some scrubbing issues like you did, but not to a point of completely wearing the lining.

Now that i have much bigger wheels. I simply removed the lining and moved all the wiring up and away from making contact with the tire. You do have to pull on the wires a bit, just long enough to bring it up, then I zip tied them. Out of the way means out of mind.

Good luck.
I was having a similar problem with my 20's rubbing away at my inner liner since I installed my tein coilovers..I did the same solution..Remove the tire and the inner liner (whats left of it) and simply move the wires out of the way, by using zip ties..Most of the wires are wrapped in black wire loom.Simply detach and move away from where the tire is scrubbing..So far it has worked well for me..
Old 09-13-04, 09:30 PM
Jc4dint
Driver

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
JC4dint, got pics at all? Might be a project for me tomorrow... as well as my window regulator
Well when you remove the lining, you'll see the wiring. They're held by those plastic tab things, remove them. Then you'd have to tug on the wiring and cable to be able to bring it up and over. If you look up, you'll see a space to tuck them into, the existing plastic things that the screw goes in to helps you hold the wires up. Simply secure them with zip ties.
CAUTION though, there's this piece of metal that protrudes down, it's three layers of metals thick. I bent them up and flat so that I wouldn't rip my tires. I used a dremel to trim the outer two metal pieces, then banged away until it was flat. Another caution, to prevent your hammer from hitting the fender, either put some padding inside the fender or remove it completely. I currently have three little dents on the fender.
Another thing I personally did, since I removed the fender lining. You end up with the exposed metal and your cars paint. So I bought some Bondo brand under carriage spray or something, this stuff is thick so you don't need the rubberized one. I simply sprayed it in a container and painted it on, use some cheap brush, that's all you need. DO NOT get it on your paint, it has some sort of thinner in it. MAKE SURE you have a MASK as well, this stuff is strong. And good ventilation, trust me.

I hope that helps and good luck