Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

quick big brake question for the gurus

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 07:46 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default quick big brake question for the gurus

i have a quick big brake question for the big brake gurus..

i recently (upon heavy consultation with davegs and pearlpower thanks a bunch guys) upgraded and finally saw the light to some bilstein pss coilovers... i will post my impressions and some pics down the road showing how low i was able to get them

back on topic , since doing the swap over i realized that the new setup weighed in about 5lbs less per corner which translated into a much nimbler steering.. reaction and turn was much quicker due to less unsprung weight.. those of you who know me and better yet have driven with me know i am all about perf first looks second..so heres my question...

i have searched the forums high and low and dont see anyone trying this ,, i understand the supra caliper is about equal weight to stockers and a couple of pounds heavier then then the stoptechs (was about to pull the trigger yesterday for anew set) but i also noticed their was a huge weight diff in 1 piece supra sized rotors compared to stock and 2 piece supra sized rotors..

so understanding that weight savings in the arena for the calipers would help somehow just cant justify the 16oo investment to shave off a couple of pounds but if i could just get the 2 piece rotors that in itself should shave off about 5 to 10 lbs and also gain better heat dis..

only problem is where can i buy just the 2 piece rotors ?????any suggestions for i want to excercise the gs and put it on a little diet ..

Old 08-24-04, 09:09 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Theres atleast 1 jdm company that i can think of that makes 2 piece rotors. There called project MU I think. They only come in teal hats with slotted rotors. You can always repaint the hats. Let me see if i can dig up a pic. Whoa at $600 a pair you might as well get a new BBK kit

Last edited by GammaLex; 08-24-04 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 09:11 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotcha beat Gamma, but you're dead on correct.

Project Mu Rotors
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/projmu2piecb.html
Old 08-24-04, 09:16 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Quick Draw McGlenn eh If only you reply to my PMs that fast LOL

Last edited by GammaLex; 08-24-04 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 09:28 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HAHA OKOK

PM ya soon
Old 08-24-04, 10:45 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

thanks guys for the quick replies

question, do you think stop tech would sell me just the rotors or does brembo have a application that can be bought separate????
Old 08-24-04, 11:20 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

They can sell you just the rotors but you would need a custom bracket for your calipers to fit to rotor. Brembo doesnt make anything in 2 piece for a stock caliper. Your SOL bud. Try contacting RMM and ask them about different rotors. Maybe they might be designing something.
Old 08-24-04, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Just get the real deal - StopTech or Brembos. The two piece rotors are light, the calipers are lighter and smaller than the Supras, and StopTechs or Brembos just plain look better than Supras.
Old 08-24-04, 11:57 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DBA

I remember that DBA is selling 2-piece brakes for the Toyota Supra.
Old 08-24-04, 11:59 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

More info on the DBA

http://www.dba.com.au/dba_catalogue_2004/HTML/pdf/dba_4000_5000_21072004.pdf
Old 08-25-04, 01:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Just get the real deal - StopTech or Brembos. The two piece rotors are light, the calipers are lighter and smaller than the Supras, and StopTechs or Brembos just plain look better than Supras.
yeah i agree with bit, just get the stoptech once and for all man. getting brackets done, that's a real pain in the butt, plus you always risk the strength of the bracket if you do't know materials well. remember, that's a lot of stress on the bracket.

for the weight, 2 piece rotors are very very important imho. keep in mind, the rotors are constantly spinning. so the spinning unsprung weight is a lot more important than just unsprung weight hanging there.

if you are doing your brakes already and thinking about going to supra size (at least), and since performance is always your first priority, just get the stoptech. as fast as you go, you still need to stop, ed
Old 08-25-04, 10:56 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
if you are doing your brakes already and thinking about going to supra size (at least), and since performance is always your first priority, just get the stoptech. as fast as you go, you still need to stop, ed
I think Ed already has TTs. He's just exploring the possibility of lightening the weight of the rotors.
Old 08-25-04, 01:01 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Neo
I think Ed already has TTs. He's just exploring the possibility of lightening the weight of the rotors.
yes i do have the tt setup since last year .. they work great even for my missle type driving style .. they stop on the dime no problem but the addtional weight of the solid rotors can and should be shed.. i mean now that i have further realized the benefit to lighter unsprung weight with the wheels now even further with the coilovers so why not finsih off and maybe shed between 7-11lbs from the rotor and henry made a great point about not only unsprung but roational weight as well

hkgs300 , thank for the heads up on the dba thing , btw do you anyone who has used their product???
Old 08-25-04, 06:00 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Old 08-25-04, 07:18 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

DBA is a very good brand... in Asia and Europe/UK, they consider these rotors as one of the better brake discs, better than for example EBC.

Quick Reply: quick big brake question for the gurus