Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

NEED HELP!!! ABS & VSC ON after L-Tuned upgrade. (Updated)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-04, 12:47 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Question NEED HELP!!! ABS & VSC ON after L-Tuned upgrade.

Well... To make a long story short... A friend and I swapped out the factory shocks and springs for my L-Tuned peices that came in from Carson...

Easy as pie with the right tools... Did not have to remove the front Calipers by the way...

However, when driving off after the first set of bumps in the road... ABS and VSC lights came on... WTF!

Are the ABS speed sensors so sensitive that when we took them off for the install they were damaged? We even changed the O-rings to new ones and made sure to torque the bolts back to 69in pounds of pressure.

The guy at the shop couldn't get the codes reset with his trusty $4K computer...

After using the search feature I did find this thread about reseting the DTS codes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+vsc+lights+on

Go to the DLC1 connector under the hood (that's the connector with "DIAGNOSTIC" marked on top next to one of the Fuse/Relay box.
1- Connect (jump) the terminals marked "Tc" and "E1" (diagram is under cap)
2-Remove the SHORT PIN in the DIAGNOSIC connector
3-Turn ignition ON
4- Pump the BRAKE pedal 8 times within 5 seconds... this will clear the DTC code stored in the ECM
5-Remove the "Jump " wire used and reconnect the Shot Pin.
I will try this this afternoon ... I will report if it works.
I'm including the DIAGNOSTICS DI-412 pdf file from the factory repair manual, hope it helps...
but the thread was never finished and pjvarino never stated if this worked or not.

I am not so sure i want to jumper Tc and E1 to each other and risk frying the ECU unless more than a couple of people have had luck with this...

The guy at the shop said that what he was doing should have cleared the codes but that there must still be some issue making the stay on... we rechecked everything and couldn't find anything wrong.

The wires probably bend a little more since there is a 1in drop now but i can't imagine that is the problem. Anyone else have this happen when installing new suspension and be able to fix without a trip to Lexus dealer?

How much should I expect to pay at Lexus for the repair?

Thanks In Advance guys... I am starting to get a little fed up of the DIY Saturdays...

Last edited by CinFulxgs; 06-19-04 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-19-04, 02:31 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Diagnostic mode you listed does work. You can clear the ABS error back to normal his way. So after you do that, it should blink on and off normally and should not show you error codes. If you did unbolt the abs sensor, you should be okay, it's just two wires with an inductor. so unless you pulled on it somehow or strained it, it should be fine. Check the error code using the blinking codes to figure out the problem.
Old 06-19-04, 03:37 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally posted by gsnav
Check the error code using the blinking codes to figure out the problem.
Where can I find what these are?
Old 06-20-04, 05:34 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Bump
Old 06-20-04, 06:59 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Part of the codes are shown in that link you have on yoru first post, check out that pdf. Let me know if those blinking codes aren't on there. I had 43 has a code which is the front right speed sensor, let me know what your code is found out to be.
Old 06-20-04, 07:29 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Thanks Gsnav
Old 06-20-04, 09:55 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

any problems PM me
Old 06-21-04, 06:28 PM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive had this same problem for quite some time now. It started with me right after I ran the power wire for my stereo through the firewall. Checked the codes and came up with the front right wheel sensor. Any ideas where I might be able to get a good deal on one to replace for myself?
Old 06-21-04, 07:45 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

I took mine to Lexus today... let them figure it out. I will let everybody know whats up when i find out but i can't beleive the sensors would break just from removing and reinstalling... we were carefull with them too....
Old 06-22-04, 12:57 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Default UPDATE - ABS & VSC ON after L-Tuned upgrade

Front ABS sensors are toast!

Lexus wants $834.00 for the repair. $270.00 per sensor and 3 hours of labor. They say both are showing up broken. They said that both should have been removed right after the wheel was removed in the Spring/Shock DIY (Which they were) and that even left hanging during the DIY should not have broken the wires inside (Which is what happened)...

Long story short, I am calling Carson and getting these at a more reasonable price and will install myself in about 30 minutes...

Bottom line is as long as the repair works I am looking at a total of $642.00 (includes the $108 to Lexus for the Diag) total cost for install which is only $100.00 shy of the initial quote from Lexus to do the swap...

Sometimes DIY doesn't pay.

Old 06-22-04, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

oh man that really sux.... so you saying that you took off the sensors before installing the suspension, but somehow the wirings inside still broke off for no reason?! that's wierd...
Old 06-22-04, 01:11 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Yeah, that's what I think too.

The tech at Lexus kept saying "when "they" did the install "they" didn't remove the sensors which put stress on the wires inside and they broke...

I then informed him he meant "me" since I was involved in the install and that I did take them off and set them on the inside of the wheel well so they wouldn't be hanging.

I guess the plus side is that as long as replacing the 2 front sensors solves my problem I still would have saved 100 bucks since I still enjoyed doing the work myself.

Of course, he says that there are 2 other error codes relating to the ABS and until the front sensors are replaced he won't know if they are related but I have to assume they are since the car was 100% before all this.

The biggest hassle out of all this was taking it to the dealer for the diag... I won't make that mistake again, I should have just listened to my buddy when he said it was the 2 front sensors... could have saved 100 bucks!

Old 06-22-04, 01:13 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

So everyone doing suspension work to your GS... BE UBER CAREFULL WITH THOSE SENSORS!!!

I recommend a gentle removal and zip tying them up and out of the way with no stress on them while you work!
Old 06-22-04, 01:31 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man that really sucks. At least you got the satisfaction of doing the work yourself
Old 06-22-04, 02:43 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Install the sensors yourself, it isn't difficult, just requires u to remove a few covers and about 8 screws, but its a plug and play thing. I did it myself, the diagnostic could be read by the blinking lights on your dash panel.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!! ABS & VSC ON after L-Tuned upgrade. (Updated)