Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

EDFC and CS install twoo weeks ago - problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 09:15 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDFC and CS install twoo weeks ago - problem!

About two weeks ago I swapped out my L-tuned shocks and springs and had the Tein Cs and edfc installed. I have 17" wheels and when I came to pick up my car right after the install it was really dropped low. I just asked to have the front raised because of my tte lip but after the adjustment it was too high in the front. I was in a rush so I didn't want to wait for another adjustment. I wanted to drive the car for a while to let the suspension settle and than do the final adjustments before I got an alignment done. Everything seemed to be operating accordingly. However yesterday my car hesitated twice on starting and finally when I was leaving the office in the day the car didn't start. I called road service and they charged the battery and it started no problem. I drove the car later to fully charge it but when I came home and tried to start it again it didn't work. My next service appointment at the dealer is this Wednesday coming up so I will have them check things out as well. In the meantime I called the installer and asked how he did the wiring for the EDFC because I thought he might have not done the wiring properly. He said he grounded the black wire, used the dimmer wire for the cluster lighting for the green illumination wire of the EDFC, and he set he used a 12v for the yellow wire (which is constant power for the memory setting of the EDFC) and finally for the red he couldn't get to the ignition wire but found another for the power (he couldn't tell me which one exactly). I called TEIN and they said this seems to be correct as long as he didn't connect the red to the same wire as the yellow or to one that also draws constant power. Does anybody have any advice? My other question relates to my UGO strut bar which clears the EDFC except that it touches only one of the top corners of each rubber cover over the EDFC motor. I called Bobby at Carson Toyota and he said that that was o.k. I thought that the bar wasn't supposed to touch anything? Any help would be appreciated. I will be going back to examine personally with the installer how the EDFC was wired. I am wondering whether that is where the problem lies.

Thank you in advance.

PS I turned the power off completely for the EDFC after having the car charged.
Old 06-12-04, 11:00 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the red wire is hooked up correctly, the EDFC should not have the LCD indicators lit up when the ignition key is off . You should not be able to turn the EDFC on & off the with the ignition switch off. That would mean the unit is drawing current even with the key out and it will kill your battery over a day or two without driving the car.

You should not (repeat) should not be required to manually switch the EDFC off and on each time you drive your car. It should be no different then how your radio operates.

If this is happening, then the red wire needs to be connected to a switched circuit.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-12-04 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-12-04, 11:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Just guessing but it does sound like the EDFC is constantly powered (draining the battery) - was the EDFC control unit on all the time or only when the car was running?
Old 06-12-04, 06:53 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by RMMGS4
If the red wire is hooked up correctly, the EDFC should not have the LCD indicators lit up when the ignition key is off . You should not be able to turn the EDFC on & off the with the ignition switch off. That would mean the unit is drawing current even with the key out and it will kill your battery over a day or two without driving the car.

You should not (repeat) should not be required to manually switch the EDFC off and on each time you drive your car. It should be no different then how your radio operates.

If this is happening, then the red wire needs to be connected to a switched circuit.
When the ignition key is off the EDFC did NOT have the LCD indicators on. I didn't however try turning the power on or off on the EDFC unit when the ignition switch was off. I didn't have to manually switch the edfc unit on or off everytime I got in the car (it worked automatically). The system worked perfect for about two weeks. I only manually switched off the power to the EDFC at the end when I was having trouble with the battery - at least until I could visit my installer again. I realize the unit should work just like the radio presets and again it did that for two weeks and then the problem (I am puzzled).
Old 06-12-04, 06:55 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Just guessing but it does sound like the EDFC is constantly powered (draining the battery) - was the EDFC control unit on all the time or only when the car was running?
The EDFC unit was only ON when the car was running.
Old 06-13-04, 05:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

This might just be a pure coincidence that your battery is starting to fail right after the CS and EDFC install.

How old is your battery? Is it the original battery that came with your car? If it is, the battery probably just needs replacing (assuming the EDFC is hooked up properly - which from the sounds of it, it appears so).

My local Lexus dealer replaced mine (the original battery) last summer (which means it was about 4.5 years old) for FREE! Even though the warranty had run out, I was surprised that they did that. Excellent dealer.

My battery failed soon after I had my fogs upgraded to HID's. I was leaving the fogs and the main beam HID's on and then turning off the engine. On startup all four HID's were drawing more current than the battery could handle and I think that was the final straw on the camels back (figuratively speaking) and the battery gave up. After putting in the new battery, I stopped leaving the lights on when turning off the engine.

We need to hookup so that I can compare your CS to my Flex and check out your EDFC! I have not been able to install my EDFC yet as the money pit of the new house is sucking up any and all money in it's path.

Last edited by Hameed; 06-13-04 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-13-04, 06:06 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Hameed

I hope it is just coincidence. I am going to the dealer this Wednesday and then to the EDFC installer on Saturday and I hope to get the situation resolved. Next time you are down this way for your business meeting stop by and we'll go for a ride.
Old 06-14-04, 06:22 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Ya I was thinking the same thing Hameed. It is probaly just a coincidence that this is happening after you had the edfc installed. The only way it would kill your battery is if the power was on constantly, if not it will not drain your battery. Good Luck bro.