Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front STB on 430

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 10:13 PM
presto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front STB on 430

A front STB will not fit a 430 with the engine cover on. I was thinking...what if the back 1/3 of the cover is cut off. The bolts that hold the cover in place would still hold the front 2/3 of the cover in place. Then there would be space for the front Strut tower brace to fit over the engine, just like on the 400. And I would still have 2/3 of the original cover, including all of the Lexus logo and lettering.

Question #1 - Could this work?
Question #2 - Where do I go for the cover to be cut clean, without looking like a hack job?
Question #3 - Which STB...TRD, RMM or whatever?

I'm L-tuned with shocks, springs, steering chip, tightened steering rack and TRD LSD.
Let me know guys.
Old 06-01-04, 03:00 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Default GS430 engine cover & Front STB

Hi Presto,
Why cut out the engine cover if you do not need to ?
Check the "RVM STB" issue if you can find a solution to keep the engine cover
in one piece.
Old 06-12-04, 09:28 AM
presto
Driver School Candidate

I installed the TRD strut tower brace on my '03 430. The engine cover was trimmed and the result is awesome. The drive on curving mountain roads is superior. I already had an L-tuned suspension and a TRD limited slip diff. With the engine cover trimmed, it actually looks like it was meant to look like this.

Since I'm a little dense with computers, I'm having a problem getting the photo on this thread.
But...the photo of my new and improved engine area can be located in the gallery section of club lexus. It is in the GS 430 section and posted by Presto. At least I take good photos.
Old 06-12-04, 09:36 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by presto
Since I'm a little dense with computers, I'm having a problem getting the photo on this thread.
But...the photo of my new and improved engine area can be located in the gallery section of club lexus. It is in the GS 430 section and posted by Presto. At least I take good photos.
Here ya go.

Old 06-12-04, 11:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, who the hell did it.....
Old 06-12-04, 03:42 PM
presto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Neo for moving the picture to this thread!!

I had Bell Lexus in Phoenix install the Strut tower brace with the cover off . Then...I had a cabinet maker cut the cover with one of his table saws. We measured it carefully, and it was the exact size. He said the plastic was a little brittle and sometimes splintered. He sanded it down and even cleaned the cover.
Bell Lexus always gives me a steam cleaning when I come in. (I have 20 k miles).

I like the cover better in this new racing , mini configuration. Absolutely no difference in noise. It looks real cool. And I'm not joking...the car feels more solid and really, really handles alot better. A friend with a new M3 has given an enthusiastic thumbs up.
Old 06-12-04, 04:08 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Presto where did you get the TRD LSD, I have had two different people tell me that TRD does not make a LSD. Sewell is one of them.
Old 06-12-04, 04:20 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by morris
Presto where did you get the TRD LSD, I have had two different people tell me that TRD does not make a LSD. Sewell is one of them.
PM Steve from Carson Toyota (SupraTRD) The part # is 41301-JS401 all it is is a Supra rear end with 3.76 gears.
Old 06-12-04, 04:22 PM
presto
Driver School Candidate

Morris - I got the TRD LSD from Carson Toyota in L.A.
Ask for Gordon or Bobby in the parts dept. You will save about 200 bucks compared to Rod Millen. Have your local Lexus dealer install it and you'll save another 100 bucks eating their food and drinking their gourmet coffees.

You will notice better low end throttle response and it will respond better at autobahn speeds, too.
Old 06-12-04, 05:52 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yea I saw that one on the carson site for 799, I was beginning to think that maybe it wasnt a TRD unit. Was yours at 800 or was it less?

Edit*************

I also wanted to stay with the stock gears since I am about to be blown, I really dont need anymore lowend torque.

Last edited by morris; 06-12-04 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 01:22 PM
pat14lee
Pole Position

Will the RMM STB fit the 430 without modification?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 06-18-04, 10:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Clarification on LSDs...

The TRD one is the unit inside the pumpkin and is stock gear ratio. Some say it's trickier to install because the pumpkin must be opened.

The Supra Torsen diff has higher ring gear for a 3.76 (vs 3.26 or 3.23 stock - can't remember) final ratio. The Supra Torsen diff is a complete replacement for the factory diff.

If you're not going with forced induction I can tell ya the Supra Torsen diff is AWESOME (I have it).

The TRD is great either way too, because eliminating the VSC interference is a whole lot more fun. The Supra one though is more fun for NA cars because the shorter gearing just makes the car move quicker. But they're hard to find, or you pay a bundle from RMM.
Old 06-19-04, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Clarification on LSDs...

The TRD one is the unit inside the pumpkin and is stock gear ratio. Some say it's trickier to install because the pumpkin must be opened.

The Supra Torsen diff has higher ring gear for a 3.76 (vs 3.26 or 3.23 stock - can't remember) final ratio. The Supra Torsen diff is a complete replacement for the factory diff.

If you're not going with forced induction I can tell ya the Supra Torsen diff is AWESOME (I have it).

The TRD is great either way too, because eliminating the VSC interference is a whole lot more fun. The Supra one though is more fun for NA cars because the shorter gearing just makes the car move quicker. But they're hard to find, or you pay a bundle from RMM.
yes, and the trd is clutch unit, and it can handle more hp than the torsen type. also, if you have FI, like bitkahuna said, stay with trd is better option, the supra one has too high of a gear ratio

install of the supra unit is a lot cheaper since it's bolt on. install of the trd unit is a lot harder and more precise, the installer needs to know what they are doing, and it's going to be a lot more expensive.
Old 06-20-04, 01:22 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

STB looks awesome!! How much was just the bar?

I noticed that on the L-tuned site also that you can get front & rear "braces" that go under the car. Can someone explain what the purpose(s) of these if you already have the STB? or are they not necessary?

Also, are they just "bolt on" parts or are there any significant modifications that are needed before you install them? Finally do they make any "significant" difference in bracing the car as they are fairly expensive?(I know you can get just the front brace only) & do they improve the ride or make the car more "harsh" when driving?

I currently own a 01 ES but down the road I would seriously consider the GS as it is a georgous car and am very courious to these mods. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-20-04, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Lexusfreak, each of the bars and braces increases overall rigidity, which is a good thing from a handling perspective.

Quick Reply: Front STB on 430