Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-01, 08:17 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the H&R Springs and Bilstein combo but am interested in maybe swapping out the springs for some others that will give me more of a drop like 2.5"

The H&R springs give about 1.4 or 1.5"

Do you know of any good springs that will achieve this amount of drop?

Any coilovers that cost under $700?

Thanks.

ted920
Old 04-05-01, 11:09 AM
Risk3233
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's tough.

Springs that tend to drop more than 2" put a lot of strain on shocks and their components. The reason being that unless the shock is designed around a shorter piston and adjustments made to is damping system, a standard length shock operating under such a low drop will be constantly under pressure. This will affect the shocks performance and longevity.

If you really want to go that low, you have may to go w/coilovers. Coilovers allow dramatic drop rates; 2-4" by using a shortened shock body to begin with. Moreover, the threaded bodies allow the suspension to be threaded and unthreaded to allow raising and lowering while maintaining appropriate suspension travel.
Old 05-02-01, 11:53 PM
aggeeess
Rookie

ted920,
side question for you. I'm interested in getting new springs and shocks. I'm considering H&Rs or Eibach or the L-tuned with Bilsteins. Why did you originally choose the H&Rs? Did you have it with the stock GS300 16" wheels or only after you put on your new wheels?
Just looking for feedback from a gs3 owner...
Old 05-03-01, 12:07 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AGGEEESS:

if you want Eibachs/Bilstein but alittle bit more comfortable just go with L-Tuned springs/shocks. It's also the most cost effective way.
Old 05-03-01, 09:29 PM
jbuster

Exclamation

Aggeeess,

I just had Todd at tmengineering install the Eibach Pro Kit and Bilstein Sport Shocks on my '98 GS 300 last week. The ride is not that different from the stock set- up running on 16" rims. I have 19" rims and tires on order and expect the ride to stiffen up a bit once they are installed.
Old 05-05-01, 04:01 PM
aggeeess
Rookie

jbuster,
Was the suspension upgrade worthwhile?
Is the Eibach Pro Kit the coil set up that drops the car 1.25"?
Because right now, I'm interested in either the Eibach springs or the H&R springs (1.4" drop), but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-05-01, 10:38 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default the bilsteins

Ag,

many members claim that Eibach prokit springs is the L-tune springs. the eibach drop is ~1.25"-good look and effective. HR is a little more drop and cost a lillte more too, depends on your taste.

if you decide to go for the bilsteins sports shocks and need a good price, let me know by Private Message. i have placed several orders for fellow members.

william
Old 05-06-01, 07:00 AM
jbuster

Thumbs up

Aggeeess,

I believe the upgrade was worth it... The ride really did not change that much. You feel the small bumps more but it's still smoother than BMWs I've been in. From the look I like the drop. I wanted a balance between ride, comfort, handling and looks that's why I selected the Eibach/Bilstein combination.

Old 05-06-01, 07:56 PM
RacingAristo

If you are looking for Eibach/Bilstein, I may have one used set for sale. Please email me at RacingAristo@clublexus.com
Old 05-24-01, 09:14 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Eibachs/Bilstein and front inside tire wear

I have a GS4 with Eibachs/Bilstein combo on 18" with Dunlops sp9000. I'm running 40psi in the fronts.

My question is this. I see some of you guys post that you are getting like 20K miles tread wear on your tires.

HOW?!

I am almost done with my fronts at 7K miles.

I'm not that aggresive around corners and the milage has been 50/50 HWY/CITY.

Gene, You have the 18" Nittos and lowered springs.
How the hell do you get 20K miles from your fronts.

I went to the Tire shop and had them remount/swap the left and right tires. This should give me another 7K miles or so. The inside is bald the outside looks new.

When I originaly did the alignment the guy told me that the car will never be in spec. No warranty.

The lowering springs with even a one inch drop and max camber still wears the inside of the fronts like a son of a gun.

The guy at the tire shop sugested that I look into a camber kit, like they have for BMW cars.

Does anybody know if a camber kit exists for a GS4?

How does TTE sell lowered cars from the dealer in Europe. What the Europeans don't complain that their tires go bold on one side after 10K miles?

A lot of folks on the board have been very kind and actually posted their alignment sheets.
I have found my alingment printout and it very similar to most with the HR or Eibach springs.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I don't think realinging the car would fix the problem.
I do not wish to put the stock springs back in.
I will probably get the Nittos when the Dunlops give up.
Old 05-24-01, 10:59 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Just Lucky???

Alex - Really can't say why I'm at 20k + & still going strong unless it's because the wife drives the GS 90% of the time & she's NOT an aggressive driver. I keep my Nittos at 42 psi & rotate front to back ( dumb directional tires!! ) every 5k or so. I only align it every 6 months or so to the factory specs as well. Might try those new Pole Position tires alot of the members R using. Of course, if U're wearing out the Dunlops every 7-8k, jump to the Nittos because, while they may not stick like your Dunlops, they R very reasonably priced & U can better afford to replace them frequently.
Old 05-28-01, 11:30 PM
aggeeess
Rookie

Question

jbuster,
do you have digital pictures of your GS3 before and after putting on your 19s? If so, can you email me?

Old 05-29-01, 01:36 PM
jbuster

Aggeeess,

I need to post a picture of my GS with my new rims/tires after being lowered but I'm having too much fun driving now..... I'll remember to e-mail a copy to you.

jbuster