Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My StopTech vacation (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-04, 12:51 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My StopTech vacation

Well, after a year of waiting, I was finally able to get the StopTechs onto my car. It was a year ago when I had plans to move forward with the brake upgrade. But I lost my job and a BBK was the least of my worries. With the help of a more stable financial situation (although I'm still at home ) and a very understanding wife, my dreams of a BBK has come to fruition. So when Todd at TMEngineering told me that my brakes are ready, I made plans during Spring Break for my family to visit the in-laws in SoCal while I head over to TMEngineering.

Through a situational opportunity (that I cannot go into here), I was offered a chance to visit StopTech and have my brakes installed there. Of course I said yes and asked when. I met a number of people on the staff including Bob Lee (Co-Founder and GM) and Matt Weiss (Co-Founder and Customer Service Manager). It was actually Matt who installed the BBK. I spent the afternoon there and during the install got a chance to talk to the guys there and their passion for what they do really comes through. Once the install was done, Matt took me out to bed the brakes. I'm not used to being a passenger so I actually got a little nausious from the series of 60-10 stops and the smell of brake pads and rubber. Although it was about getting off work time, Matt knew the route to take to minimize interruptions of the bedding process. Seems like he's done this before.

As for the brakes themselves, I like them a lot. They look great and feel great. I am sure I am not getting the optimal performance from them since I decided to go with a less aggressive brake pad, the Axxis Deluxe Plus. I did this because I knew the brakes would already feel better than stock. These pads would then minimize noise and dust and will wear less on the rotors. They don't need to warm up like the Ultimates do; so for me, it seems perfect for daily driving. So far, so good.

As an interesting note, I joked to them about not going to track the car since I don't have the Ultimates. They actually recommended NOT to use the Ultimates for tracking purposes as it is an aggressive street pad and not a race pad. They suggested that I get a set of race pads if I ever plan to track and so therefore, I did not lose out on this aspect by not going with the Ultimates.

Below are some of the pics I took of the brakes, the install, and of StopTech.

I'd like to thank Todd at TM Engineering for hooking me up with these brakes, StopTech for their hospitality and service, the NorCal guys for their support, and the rest of the CL members who share this disease with me.

Of course there is also my wife who has been very understanding of this affliction I have.

If you want to see more of the car itself, check out this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=118895

Last edited by Neo; 05-03-04 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 12:57 AM
Neo
The One

Caliper:

Front:

Rears:
Old 05-03-04, 01:02 AM
Neo
The One

Front dust shield's gotta go . Look at all that rust:

Fronts installed at StopTech:

Rears installed at TM Engineering:

I actually painted my rear calipers last year when I thought I was going to get the StopTechs. I've been driving around with rear painted caliper and stock fronts.
Old 05-03-04, 01:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man i love big rotors. i love the way the 14s fit under your 18s wheels and they fit so tight. my ap racing looks so loose under the 20s. but then i will never ever have the money to put 15" rotors under my 20s so i just have to deal with it

congrats again! glad that everything was ready for HIN!
Old 05-03-04, 01:06 AM
Neo
The One

My car at StopTech:

I can tell you what these does but then I'd have to kill you :

This is the corner where they make the SS lines:

Calipers anyone?

StopTech is actually expanding since this space is not big enough for them. I'm glad they are growing. It just means that they are a good company and will be around for awhile.
Old 05-03-04, 04:19 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now those are nice process pics, I wish I could visit a bbk manufacturer, hell I wish I had bbk period! LOL

Nice brakes enjoy, also given more time, please give an update on the Axxis Deluxe pads, I have the Ultimates and the dust is annoying.
Old 05-03-04, 04:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN CHRIS!!!

About time you did a write up!! My experience with the brakes is virtually identical! Very happy with them and would do this mod again in a heartbeat if I had to!

I have to bed mine for the second time soon and see if the feel and performance gets even better. How did yours feel after you had bedded them in the second time compared to the first time? Big difference or small?
Originally posted by DGOT20s
Nice brakes enjoy, also given more time, please give an update on the Axxis Deluxe pads, I have the Ultimates and the dust is annoying.
D, I have the same pads as Neo does and there is ZERO squealing and little to no dust at all! I love them!!
Old 05-03-04, 05:20 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Nice brakes ! Good job !
Old 05-03-04, 05:41 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Yup those sure are nice and it is awesome that they actually gave you the grand tour of the joint. Really makes you feel good when a company treats you like that huh? They look great congrats.
Old 05-03-04, 06:14 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Hameed

D, I have the same pads as Neo does and there is ZERO squealing and little to no dust at all! I love them!!
Thanks man i appreciate the feedback, I will keep these pads in mind
Old 05-03-04, 08:30 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My StopTech vacation

Originally posted by Neo
As an interesting note, I joked to them about not going to track the car since I don't have the Ultimates. They actually recommended NOT to use the Ultimates for tracking purposes as it is an aggressive street pad and not a race pad. They suggested that I get a set of race pads if I ever plan to track and so therefore, I did not lose out on this aspect by not going with the Ultimates.
Neo, congrats again on the upgrade. Regarding the pads, I have already "down-graded" from the axxis ultimates as I found them unlivable during day to day driving.
Old 05-03-04, 08:49 AM
Neo
The One

Thanks for the feedback guys. Hameed and redgs4, I'm surprised you guys are not running the Ultimates. It's not a reflection of your driving style. I just thought you installed what came with the kit. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has to weigh the daily drivability against top performance.

Hameed, the feel was better after the second bedding. I love them now. I actually get a little squeek now and then though but you can't hear it from inside with the windows up. I just happened to have the window down (at a drive thru ) and heard it. Otherwise, I would never have known. Dust has been minimal.

It's funny. Now that I have more feel/feedback, I just love stomping on them, although I have to make sure I don't surprise the car behind me.
Old 05-03-04, 10:13 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Great write up neo...Now you have given me more options to what BBK to go with..Damn you CL!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-04, 10:58 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Neo
...I can tell you what these does but then I'd have to kill you :
That looks like a CNC machine of some sort. Probably where they actually machine the rotors!

BTW, where is StopTech located? Are they NorCal or SoCal?
Old 05-03-04, 11:34 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by BuyERTS
That looks like a CNC machine of some sort. Probably where they actually machine the rotors!
I believe both rotors and calipers. They farm out the forging/casting of the calipers but they machine it in-house.

Originally posted by BuyERTS
BTW, where is StopTech located? Are they NorCal or SoCal?
Torrance, so SoCal.

Quick Reply: My StopTech vacation (PICS)