Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunk from the rear over rough roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 12:37 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk from the rear over rough roads

Hi,

As some of you may know, I just purchased a 99 GS400. I've noticed that on rougher roads (manhole covers, potholes, etc.), the car makes a clunking noise. I can't really describe the noise. It sounds like a solid "clunk" or a solid "bunk" from the rear of the car. I think it's coming from the rear left wheel.

Has anyone heard or experienced anything similar? Just to let you know, I'm 100% stock right now with 16s.

I don't know much about cars.....well, I don't much about the mechanics of a car. But I've been told by friends that it may be a mount or a bushing.

I've tried searching and the only similar thread was this one

I'm going to take it in the shop and see what they say. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if anyone has any info for me.

Thanks,
Cadd

Last edited by Cadd; 04-28-04 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-28-04, 03:23 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i see you are in new york but you failed to mention the milage .. being that you are in ny with the roads and cycling of hot to cold weather , i would say it sounds like strut mount bushings in the rear or the rubber mounts for the subframe have loosened up somewhat
Old 04-28-04, 06:17 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS has approx 46k miles.

When I purchased the car, the strut/spring seem fine when I pressed down at each corner.

But when I did it again today (after 2 weeks of owning this car), the rear left gives me a funny sound. Can't really describe the sound, but it's not a tick or a clunk. Maybe more like a moaning sound? Maybe the car likes it when I push its bumpers hard huh?

Well I guess that'll be a good enough reason for me to look into Tein CS coilovers