Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

toms 6 piece

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 04:28 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default toms 6 piece

just a quick question

is anyone running the toms 6 piece rear link set by itself without the toms rear lower control brace ..

and to those who did the 6 piece link vs the lower control brace which provided more of a correction to the rear end jiggle , walk dance etc
Old 04-18-04, 08:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I may have responded to a PM on this, can't remember.

If I recall the order correctly (it was a while back and I haven't had any coffee this am) I had the Tom's LCB in before I added the six link. Added it in addition to TRD blue rear sways and Tom's rear STB. I actually liked the feel of the GS rear before I added the LCB. Felt a bit looser with it added. However, when I put on the six link it 'all came together' back into synch and feels very controlled.

I can't comment on the six link before the LCB, but I'd guess I would have liked that better.

My recommendation is to do the six link first, then the LCB, or to do them both at the same time.
Old 04-18-04, 05:04 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's funny Dave because when I had only the TRD FLCB and Blue sways, the rear end was pretty bad. I actually lost confidence in the car. When I added the RLCB, things were good again. I added the 6-link for completeness, but did not feel it was as a significant change as introducing the RLCB to my setup was. At the time I did not have STBs on so the difference in our setup is your STBs.

I remember from awhile back that there were members who added the 6-links alone and liked them. Based on those threads, I assumed that one or the other would be beneficial. Adding the other (depending on what you put on first) would be a slight incremental boost. My adding the 6-links did not make the ride/handling worse (as far as the rear goes which was the case when I added the TRD Blues) so thatnk goodness for that.

One issue that came up which I don't ever remember reading is that one the 6-links makes contact with the RMM exhaust. It does this with both mine and RMMGS4's. I had to do some shimming of the hangers to eliminate the contact. I am not sure how the links interact with other exhausts but I just wanted to give a heads up.
Old 04-20-04, 10:20 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Like the 6 link

I added the 6 link after doing some research, over the option of adding the RLCB. I was more interested in keeping the suspension in line and stiff than I was in stiffening the chassis. I liked the result.

Never put on the RLCB after the 6 link, thought it was overkill for me.

I would recommend the 6 lin kit. I would also recommend Tom's drop the price of the RLCB from 300+ if they want to sell some, or sell them as a combo at some dicsount (not that they are listening)

Also, I installed the Toms RSTB before I did the 6 link. It was a minimal effect. 6 link did the most.
Old 04-21-04, 05:17 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

thanks nudder and neo , and nudder i agree with ya on the lower control bar , price is almost cost prohibitive..

after closely looking at manarays pics and write up about the 6 piece vs the lower control brace i have concluded that the 6 link kit will and does keep the rear subframe from moving independant of each other which is pretty much how bmw designs their multilink rear end ..the attachment points are very secure it seems to me that the lower control brace would tie it all in together but to me seems like useful in extreme conditions

anyway 6 piece on order
Old 04-22-04, 09:06 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up me too

I have to completely agree with Dan.( nuddergs) Im put the 6-peice on first too. I sold the RLCB. The 6-peice does the job.

Paul
Old 04-22-04, 11:09 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the RLCB and still do, but I added the 6 piece and let me tell ya, it tightened the rear of the car up big time. I would definitely agree with the gang here, 6 piece is the way to go.
Old 04-23-04, 05:16 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

thanks guys , after studying manrays pics showing the actual mounting points it easy to conclude that the links would do more in keeping the subframe from moving around as well as the control arms from shifting around creating that famous rear jiggle or walk

i will install mine next week when i get it and this should complete my suspension
Old 04-27-04, 08:32 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by lexforlife
after closely looking at manarays pics and write up about the 6 piece vs the lower control brace i have concluded that the 6 link kit will and does keep the rear subframe from moving independant of each other
hey, can someone post the link to manarays write up b/c im about to order this and would like to see his write up... thanks.
Old 04-27-04, 08:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally posted by varcity64
hey, can someone post the link to manarays write up b/c im about to order this and would like to see his write up... thanks.
Use search . I just put in six link' in the search field and 'manaray' in the member field and pointed it at the GS forum. Fourth one down... Not all that hard

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=six+link

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-27-04 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 08:48 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Use search . I just put in six link' in the search field and 'manaray' in the member field and pointed it at the GS forum. Fourth one down... Not all that hard

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=six+link
well, thats why ur the man!!!... i know about the advanced search but TOTALLY didnt think about it. i was going through it, page by page