Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

edfc lowering the car?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-04, 02:16 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by lexusondubs
NO WAY how far can you raise and lower it and does it affect tire wear ???
Correction: It adjusts the damping of the shocks. It DOES NOT raise or lower your cars ride height..

There is a set up available (not from Tein), that will raise or lower your car.

The system will be posted here by another member some time soon. Just got it installed this week. I'll let him tell you about it when he's ready.

Be on the lookout for it.
Old 04-16-04, 07:35 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't adjusting the dampening force also effect the ride height?
Old 04-16-04, 10:42 AM
RMMGS4

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope.

I see why you are asking, since the air systems used on cars such as lowriders do control the height by the amount of air in the shocks. In these cars, the shocks "are acting" as the springs, so you would be correct in assuming the shocks control the height, but these systems do not utilize "real" springs to support the weight / height of the car, as in a typical suspension.

Tein coilovers utilize a form of shock absorber, PLUS a spring mounted over (around) it. This configuration is defined as a coilover. So adjusting the shock pressure won't change the ride height in this set up. It is the spring that controls this.

You change the height on coilovers by adjusting the spring perch, which raises or lowers the spring, relative to the coilover body.

The perches are mounted to the threaded coilover body, which allows them to be rotated up or down, using spanner wrenches that are included when you purchase the coilovers.

The EDFC allows the driver to remotely control the rate of compression and rebound (i.e. damping force) of the shock from the drivers seat. Without the EDFC, you would have to physically adjust the valve **** located at the top of each coilover.

In simple terms, adjusting the EDFC affects the ride comfort, the stability of the car in turns and over bumps and allows the balance of the car to be fine tuned. When I say balance , I mean balancing the amount of oversteer or understeer.

Hope this helps.

BTW, this is way off topic from what the original post topic was about.

If you have more questions, we should start a new thread topic about it, or I will ask a moderator to move our discussion to a new thread.

Yo Henry !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-16-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-16-04, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is OT, so...
Old 04-16-04, 01:49 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Correction: It adjusts the damping of the shocks. It DOES NOT raise or lower your cars ride height..

There is a set up available (not from Tein), that will raise or lower your car.

The system will be posted here by another member some time soon. Just got it installed this week. I'll let him tell you about it when he's ready.

Be on the lookout for it.
I would like to know more about this prior to swapping out my L-tuned S/S for the Tein CS with the EDFC. Do you have any other hints or useful information. price and make would be a great start. Will this replace the shocks and springs or coilovers? Info, Info, PLEASE.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-04, 04:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SPORTS
I would like to know more about this prior to swapping out my L-tuned S/S for the Tein CS with the EDFC. Do you have any other hints or useful information. price and make would be a great start. Will this replace the shocks and springs or coilovers? Info, Info, PLEASE.

Thanks in advance.
it is not my tein at all. it's not even a coilover system i believe

oh and another hint, try to think of the ls430 ultra luxury edition

Last edited by rominl; 04-16-04 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-16-04, 10:54 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

one question... if i am runnin tein with edfc and what to make my car look like junctions produce's lex at shows (how low it is) how could i fo this?
Old 04-16-04, 11:54 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 00lexondub
one question... if i am runnin tein with edfc and what to make my car look like junctions produce's lex at shows (how low it is) how could i fo this?
Depending on which TEIN coilover you have will also depend on how low you go. The HA's which I used to have, go much lower than lets say the FLEX or CS. Be careful tho. Its pretty low when you lower your car on the HAs. IF you aren't prepared, you wont be able to get most floor jacks under the front jacking points. EDFC will have NOTHING to do with ride height what so ever. EDFC just adjusts your dampening rate of your TEIN suspension. Either Soft or Hard. That way you don't have to go crawl in your trunk to adjust it or go open you hood. You can fix your ride quality right there from the cockpit!

BTW, if you thought I was low at IAS? Wait til u see how low I can get now. MUCH MUCH LOWER than when I had the Tein HA's on. Here is a sneak peek. NOT THAT I WANT TO BE THIS LOW, but its kinda funny IMO.

Old 04-17-04, 12:35 AM
kirby122
Pole Position

i think tein came out with a set of coilovers with a system similar to the edfc... but instead of dampening, they will be for height adjustment... i believe it uses hydraulic oil or something to help the ring go up and down the thread of the coilover, so you will need the pumps to do it... they even have key fobs that you can adjust the height with... i figure that a set of these will be very expensive with all the necessary equipment needed for it to function... i'm not sure if these will be made for many cars... but i did see pictures somewhere on the web... i think these are it:

i apologize if i'm dead wrong... just remember reading about it somewhere...
Old 04-17-04, 07:15 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JunctionGS
Depending on which TEIN coilover you have will also depend on how low you go. The HA's which I used to have, go much lower than lets say the FLEX or CS. Be careful tho. Its pretty low when you lower your car on the HAs. IF you aren't prepared, you wont be able to get most floor jacks under the front jacking points. EDFC will have NOTHING to do with ride height what so ever. EDFC just adjusts your dampening rate of your TEIN suspension. Either Soft or Hard. That way you don't have to go crawl in your trunk to adjust it or go open you hood. You can fix your ride quality right there from the cockpit!

BTW, if you thought I was low at IAS? Wait til u see how low I can get now. MUCH MUCH LOWER than when I had the Tein HA's on. Here is a sneak peek. NOT THAT I WANT TO BE THIS LOW, but its kinda funny IMO.

John you suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Stop teasing us and show the front too.... I'm all excited and can't what to see your car just eat up those 19's I was just thinking, with your offset and tire set-up you could probably ride all the way down.. But you wouldn't be able to steer of coarse..Imagine the looks on peoples faces when they see that beautiful gs come through and all of a sudden they hear the valves release and your car is sitting about 2 inches off the ground and still rolling!!! I know you can't what John!! Keep us posted..
Old 04-17-04, 12:14 PM
Synergy

Rominl was telling me about the TEIN coilover that will raise and lower the car. I MUST HAVE THESE! I love slamming my car, but it is a pain in a$$ and takes waaay too much time. Besides, I can't get the jack out or back under the car with the skirt kit. Bunk!

I have contemplated airbags but they are somewhat unsafe from what I hear. Does anyone know when TEIN will release the height adjustable coilover kit?

Last edited by Synergy; 04-17-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 12:22 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

as of right now, that TEIN suspension that raises and lowers your car is only for wagons. They have not gone into production for other cars from what I know. I was trying to wait for that to come out b4 I went bought my current suspension set up. I couldn't wait any longer. I went to air

Air bags and air cylinders can be unsafe if used UNPROPERLY and UNSAFELY. I mean I think, like anything, if maintained and you kept an eye on everything, you should be pretty safe. Plus get a kit from a reputable company with a warranty if you think about it. Also, have the kit installed by someone WHO KNOWS what he is doing or done OUR GS b4. Well worth the money IMO to pay more for install.
Old 04-17-04, 12:23 PM
hawk
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
oh and another hint, try to think of the ls430 ultra luxury edition
i'm focusing on this sentence.......
Old 04-17-04, 12:47 PM
Synergy

Originally posted by JunctionGS
I couldn't wait any longer. I went to air
I can't wait to see this!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-04, 03:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, as far as i know the thing that adjust the height from inside the car, it's still not in production from tein yet

trust me, if it's out, that would be something i want on my car. i have adjusted enough coilovers in my life...

Quick Reply: edfc lowering the car?!