Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How low to go with 18s

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-04, 06:00 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How low to go with 18s

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a GS300 and am looking forward to modding her. I have 18x8 w/ 225/40/18's and understand that there is a huge gap that I desperately need to get rid of. I've searched and found both negative and positive things about various springs/shocks/coils combinations.

I want a nice subtle look, not low enough where I must concern myself w/ driving constantly but yet eliminate the float. I still want to maintain the lexus ride.

I've mostly read about the shock/springs combo's and I dont think anything really suits me. If i pay more for coils.... which ones would suit me? And yea, i'd get the EDFC to go along with it.

btw does anybody know where I can order the inner lining for the front 2 wheel wells and the under body panel? I'm guessing Steve at carsoN?
Old 04-07-04, 06:55 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How low to go with 18s

Originally posted by UptownGS
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a GS300 and am looking forward to modding her. I have 18x8 w/ 225/40/18's and understand that there is a huge gap that I desperately need to get rid of. I've searched and found both negative and positive things about various springs/shocks/coils combinations.

I want a nice subtle look, not low enough where I must concern myself w/ driving constantly but yet eliminate the float. I still want to maintain the lexus ride.

If i pay more for coils.... which ones would suit me? And yea, i'd get the EDFC to go along with it.
If you are already talking about EDFC and stock Lexus ride, you've just limited yourself to the Tein CS. Tein because the EDFC will only work with certain Tein products and CS for the smoothest ride possible.

This is off topic but the other thing to keep an eye on is your wheel outside diameter. It is a little small. When you get around to changing tires, you should opt for 235/40s or even 245/40s. This will get you closer back to spec. This will also allow you to reduce the fender gap with less problems with body clearance.
Old 04-07-04, 08:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Uptown, welcome to ClubLexus!

I highly suggest you make your way out to one of the meets and get together with some of the other GS folks and take a ride in their car before purchasing. Will give you a much better idea of the options available and what they'll do to your GS.
Old 04-07-04, 08:52 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Definitely!!! I own an IS300 but never made it out to the Club Lexus meets. I still haven't recieved the GS300 yet but I'm expecting it Tuesday. Couldn't move away too far.... I love the silky 2JZ!!!

I'm just making out my budget to know how much I need to get the car up to my liking ASAP. I'd love to get some rides in some other suspension setups.

And thanks for letting me know that the EDFC wasn't compatible w/ many coils. I'll definitely read up and do some more research. It's always fun starting over on a new toy!!!

Isn't the UPS meet coming up soon???
Old 04-07-04, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

where in cali are you in? you can definitely check out some member's ride around here

and yes, if you want ride, tein CS hands down
Old 04-07-04, 10:23 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

I'm in OC. Allright, seems as though the Tein CS is definitely the way to go.... I've had Tein's before and from my experience I have been very happy w/ their parts. Okay where is the best prices for the Tein CS and EDFC combo?
Old 04-07-04, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by UptownGS
I'm in OC. Allright, seems as though the Tein CS is definitely the way to go.... I've had Tein's before and from my experience I have been very happy w/ their parts. Okay where is the best prices for the Tein CS and EDFC combo?
email todd at todd@tmengineering.net and tell him henry refers you. tell him what you want and he will get you a good price. i got the best price from him (i have had 3 sets of teins on my car). he's in carson so you can just swing by and get it installed perfect
Old 04-08-04, 01:54 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you would be happy with the CS coilovers! TM Engineeting is a great place to do business
I agree with Neo on the tires though-225/40 is too small both in width and diameter. Go with 245/40 at least (I have that size on my front) for the correct O.D. and better width too.
Old 04-08-04, 02:30 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by FutureGS400
I agree with Neo on the tires though-225/40 is too small both in width and diameter. Go with 245/40 at least (I have that size on my front) for the correct O.D. and better width too.
I would actually say to go with 245/40 at the most. I only added the 235s since his wheels are 18x8. 245s would work fine too but I think they'd be more comfortable on a x8.5 rim. I have 18x8s and am going from 235s to 245s. Even though there should be no problem, I still would have preferred to have the 8.5 width.
Old 04-08-04, 04:29 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Neo
I would actually say to go with 245/40 at the most. I only added the 235s since his wheels are 18x8. 245s would work fine too but I think they'd be more comfortable on a x8.5 rim. I have 18x8s and am going from 235s to 245s. Even though there should be no problem, I still would have preferred to have the 8.5 width.
Good point! The 245s should work just fine on an 8 inch wheel, but 8.5 is ideal. Good chance for me to put in a plug for the Goodyear GS-D3 tires if you are undecided on your next tires. Easily the best performance tire I've owned...
Old 04-08-04, 05:28 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

I totally understand. I originally bought a set of rims that were 18x7.5 and so ran 225/40's. While driving along not more than 3 days after I got the wheels I ran into a guy that had a set of these 18x8 TRD chromies for sale. So I bought them because by chance there was a guy at the same store who wanted my rims. He couldn't afford to buy my wheels/tires combo so I took them off and just threw them on these 18x8's. Yea I can visually see that the tires are a little too narrow for the wheels but it works for the time being. I didn't want to lose out too much on the tires so I just kept them until I'm ready to swap out.

Well its time to swap out. The GS has so much more room to play with in the wheel well.

Thanks guys for the referral. I emailed TOdd but he hasn't returned my email yet. As soon as I pick up the car I would like to drop by his place to get this all done!!! The mod bug has struck again!!!

whens the next socal meet?

btw: how do I clear out the lights? There is this circular part of the headlight with an amber lens. I've opend up plenty of IS300 headlights via oven, so I'm not afraid of opening up the GS headlight. But I've read that some people just crack the amber lens without opening it. Is there a sticky I can find anywhere?

below is a picture of my wheels. How do you think these 18's will look on the GS
Attached Thumbnails How low to go with 18s-pictures102.jpg  
Old 04-08-04, 07:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hey you in socal, can you do blackout housing for my is3 then?

yeah just take the headlights for the GS out and crack the lens from behind and shake out the glass, very easy.

and if you wonder, it's www.tmengineering.net

you can always try your luck
Old 04-08-04, 08:54 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
hey you in socal, can you do blackout housing for my is3 then?

yeah just take the headlights for the GS out and crack the lens from behind and shake out the glass, very easy.

and if you wonder, it's www.tmengineering.net

you can always try your luck
Damn I knew someone was gonna ask me for that!!! I've really tried to stay away from the whole headlight painting business as you can probably find out on is300.net .... It's sort of time consuming and honestly a Pain in the ****.

Since you seem like a pretty well knowledged member I guess I can help you out. PM me. Just remember when I need some help on the GS!!!
Old 04-13-04, 09:53 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

Hey UptownGS

Just wanted to say welcome aboard. Great name selection!

DT
Old 04-14-04, 07:52 PM
ddarbs55
Lead Lap

you guys crack me up - Uptown in SoCal & Downtown way up in Canada.
crack me up.

Welcome to GS CL UptownGS. i think another guy has those wheels on his GS, or at
least something similar. they looked great on his car IMO.

Originally posted by Downtown
Hey UptownGS

Just wanted to say welcome aboard. Great name selection!

DT

Quick Reply: How low to go with 18s