Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

99 GS300 Control Arm rattle/Ball joints Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-04, 03:29 PM
amaghazi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 99 GS300 Control Arm rattle/Ball joints Question

My first message on the board!

Thank you guys for your amazing inputs. I enjoyed reading the Forums.
I was wondering if you could help me with the following problem.

I have a 1999 GS300 stock. Went yesterday for the 60K service at the dealer's and they said the following
1- Lower Ball joints going bad (quote $435)
2- Front Control Arm starting to rattle (quote to change $1600)

I don't have any problem driving except for some vibration when I stop at Red lights on D, vibration sound stops when I move the gear to N or P, or when I drive. That's all.

So my questions are:
1- When do I have to replace the ball joint s and the lower arm. They don't bother me at all. But will they affect any other parts if I don't replace them?
2- Quote. Do you think it's too much? Can I get the parts from some other place and have the dealer install them? and if so, how much would that be?

$2000 is too much for me right now! the 60K costs around $900. and I just got new set of tires. So I don't have any money to spend on suspension.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-07-04, 03:42 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that sounds to be pretty expensive. I do not think these items go bad at 60k miles. I would get a second opinion as Lexus dealers always are more expensive to get things fixed. If it does need replacing, get the oem parts and then get it installed by another mechanic.
Welcome to the board.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 04-07-04 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 05:00 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have stock wheels and tires? 60K sounds way too soon to need this kind of work unless there is something else going on or has gone on in the past (i.e. an accident that was properly repaired).
Old 04-07-04, 05:30 PM
amaghazi
Driver

I do hace stock wheels (16 Chrom) and tires 215. And the car has never been in an accident!
So I am not sure.
I will try to go for a second opinion.
Old 04-07-04, 06:48 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this a city car...where there are lots of bumps and pot holes?
Old 04-08-04, 12:05 PM
amaghazi
Driver

Yes, it was. I lived in NYC for 3 years. and you know how bad the roads are in NY! But is it bad to that extent? It's weird.
Anyway for now, DO you guys think I should change these items now or wait till I have problems. ANd If I have to change them, Where can I buy them from? ANd can I go to a mechanic to install them or do you suggest the dealer?

Thanks
Old 04-08-04, 02:50 PM
rotorhead
Driver School Candidate

HI,
I might be wrong but they are probably talking about a complete replacement of the front control arm, it is more then likely the bushings that are going, Daizen have replacements in the pipeline for just the bushings, circa $100 i believe, However there is no set time of release on this product it has been coming soon for ever. If you can hold fire this might be a more cost effective approach to the control arm problem.

Regards,
Matthew

Last edited by rotorhead; 04-09-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-28-04, 06:20 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Hey dude, I'm in NYC also.

I have a clicking noise whenever I turn my wheels. When they're straight...it's no problem. Are those the same symptoms that you are experiencing?
Old 04-29-04, 05:15 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that price is a rip!!! All that should not cost in the vicinity of that price. If you were in California I could recommend you a shop that would do that for much cheaper. Search around your area though..... I'm no mechanic but all that should not cost more then $800 ....and thats a little on the steep side. I just had my transmission mount and a series of components under the body replaced on a car that was squeeking and rattling..... all with other mechanical works that i dont care to mention for $1000.

I believe ball joints should only cost approx 180 w/ install .....I dont know about the control arm but that cannot possibly cost that much Sorry I cant help you much.... all I can say is go to private shops. I have been going to the same shop for years and they are so helpful with me. Alot of free tuneups etc etc.... in the end its so much less hassle then dealing with the dealerships.

on my IS300 sometimes while still under warranty I would rather take it to my mechanic because he was alot more knowledgeable then the Lexus mechs. Those guys usually graduate to open up their own shops. The smart ones do anyways..... goodluck.... and if your CV joints are bad... i'd replace it first. I'm not sure about the control arm though.
Old 05-01-04, 12:25 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I just had the same thing happen to me. At 60,000, the Lexus service manager told me my ball joints were starting to go. They cost was not anywhere near $800 to replace them, though. I believe it was a total of $400 installed.

On a related note, does anyone know if new ball joints will affect ride quality? The car seems to be riding a lot stiffer since the replacement.

e-man
Old 05-01-04, 01:05 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by e-man
I just had the same thing happen to me. At 60,000, the Lexus service manager told me my ball joints were starting to go. They cost was not anywhere near $800 to replace them, though. I believe it was a total of $400 installed.

On a related note, does anyone know if new ball joints will affect ride quality? The car seems to be riding a lot stiffer since the replacement.

e-man
even $400 is steep but that sounds like a correct price to be had at a dealership. Still at 60k you shouldn't even need to even think about ball joints.
Old 05-10-04, 07:58 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it may be your axles.

Originally posted by rotorhead
HI,
I might be wrong but they are probably talking about a complete replacement of the front control arm, it is more then likely the bushings that are going, Daizen have replacements in the pipeline for just the bushings, circa $100 i believe, However there is no set time of release on this product it has been coming soon for ever. If you can hold fire this might be a more cost effective approach to the control arm problem.

Regards,
Matthew
Old 05-18-04, 01:16 PM
XYZLexus1
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your ball joints are sealed assemblies. Lexus was to cheap to put in a .50 cent zerk fitting so you could grease at regular intervals. If you grease boot is not damaged than I think someone is blowing smoke. I will bet my left n*** there is nothing wrong with your car, run in the oppositie direction. I have had cars with over 200K miles and the ball joints were still good. A ball joint is what it sounds like, a ball enclosed in steel to make a socket like a hip joint in your body. A little play is nothing the weight of the car forces no play, jack up the front of your car, take off the wheel, grab the studs and try to move your assembly, if your ball joints are worn you will feel some play. As far as the bushings, same thing run in the opposite direction.

If you have a clicking sound while going over bumps it is because the coil spring needs some padding at the base. There was a TSB issued on this and has nothing to do with your ball joints or bushings.

A ball joint for an American car runs about $15.00, so even if your double for a foreign it would be $30, but you do not need them, drive your car and forget about it. I once had a dealer tell me mine were bad and it was not safe to drive, 85K miles later I sold the car.
Old 05-18-04, 01:24 PM
XYZLexus1
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your ball joints are sealed assemblies. Lexus was to cheap to put in a .50 cent zerk fitting so you could grease at regular intervals. If you grease boot is not damaged than I think someone is blowing smoke. I will bet my left n*** there is nothing wrong with your car, run in the oppositie direction. I have had cars with over 200K miles and the ball joints were still good. A ball joint is what it sounds like, a ball enclosed in steel to make a socket like a hip joint in your body. A little play is nothing the weight of the car forces no play, jack up the front of your car, take off the wheel, grab the studs and try to move your assembly, if your ball joints are worn you will feel some play. As far as the bushings, same thing run in the opposite direction.

If you have a clicking sound while going over bumps it is because the coil spring needs some padding at the base. There was a TSB issued on this and has nothing to do with your ball joints or bushings.

A ball joint for an American car runs about $15.00, so even if your double for a foreign it would be $30, but you do not need them, drive your car and forget about it. I once had a dealer tell me mine were bad and it was not safe to drive, 85K miles later I sold the car.
Old 05-18-04, 02:30 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey XYZ Lexus 1. You seem to know a lot about the subject, so let me ask you this. Let's assume that it's a complete waste of money to install new ball joints. Could it possibly have a detrimental effect on ride quality? The reason I ask is because ever since they replaced mine, the ride seems to be much more stiff (not necessarily in a good way). One should have nothing to do with the other, right?

Quick Reply: 99 GS300 Control Arm rattle/Ball joints Question