Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

air bag kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 11:53 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension

how you doing i have a question i have a 02 gs 430 and i was thinking bout gettin a air bag kit for it but i heard that accessive use * everyday driving* may take a toll on your frame i would like to know if thats true and just for a opinion i want to get the air bag kit for shows and for speed bumps and going up and down drive ways but i want to know how the ride is i want to keep the same smoothness and handling of my car but if there is a chance that it will change i don't want to chance it and whut type of springs are go and how much should i drop it wit 20" rims and a body kit

sorry if it don't make since but i try

thanks all

Last edited by Gs Dreams; 04-05-04 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 11:56 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

I think if u excessively use your fast air bags then it can cause damage. I dont see why slow bags will mess up your car so much? Just gotta maintain the suspension like u do your motor I believe.

I have been told that a majority of the air suspensions on our cars ride pretty much like stock? I dunno, but I will find out personally in a few weeks how it rides

Last edited by JunctionGS; 04-06-04 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-05-04, 11:59 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

thanks i would like to be the first to know and another question under high speeds u think it can hold up just as good as springs?
Old 04-06-04, 05:46 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default well

i asked a airbag maker @ a show once for a gs kit, he said he had one on a 1st gen and it went over a bump doing 60 or so and the bags exploded and he did a body job hard..lol...destroyed his entire aero kit
Old 04-06-04, 06:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally posted by Gs Dreams
thanks i would like to be the first to know and another question under high speeds u think it can hold up just as good as springs?
No, it won't.
Old 04-06-04, 06:37 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air bags/air cylinders

I had an airride system on my 93 gs300 a little over 2 1/2 years ago and to tell you the truth it rode pretty damn good.I currently have eibach springs on my car and and the air cylinders rode better.They ride close to stock, but like the stock suspension it doesn't give the ability to take corners at 70-80 miles an hour.As for riding on the highway and everyday use it wasn't bad but I had 20's with an offset that made my car scrub alot and thats the reason I took them off.If your purpose is for show and cruising, I would say go for it.But if your a performance minded individual, I would strongly recommend coilovers.And if your curious about how much drop you can get with air cylinders and 20's heres a pic..

Last edited by johnee78; 04-06-04 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-07-04, 12:23 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default airbags

thanks for all or your opinons and yea im trying to keep straight proformance because i love to highway race i just can't get it out of my system so i guess i would go with a good set of coilovers but i just like the concept of the air bags (convenience reason)but i want to hug turns tight plus i don't like how a bag can just "pop" on you dangerous to kits and rims but thanks again im gonna go wit coilovers
Old 04-08-04, 01:57 AM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: well

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
i asked a airbag maker @ a show once for a gs kit, he said he had one on a 1st gen and it went over a bump doing 60 or so and the bags exploded and he did a body job hard..lol...destroyed his entire aero kit
Aren't some of the LS, GX, RX, and LX on some sort of air suspension setup? I mean, if you hit a bump on one of those at 60 MPH then their air bags would burst too right? Hmm, I wonder...

For me, I don't drive my car fast anymore anyways. My car is still a grocery getter but I don't drive that damn thing hard. I kinda baby it when I drive it. Oh well. In about a week or so, I will have my car back, with the air suspension on.
Old 04-08-04, 07:32 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

The air ride suspension out for the lexus vehicle are in 2 versions.One is the air cylinder which is the most common, and the other is the a ruber (bag) version in the same shape as the cylinder.I have never seen a cylinder burst and I would not recommend the rubber version for the reasons you stated.But, you shouldn't be taking speed bumps at 60mph!! I know that systems available in japan have installed an adjustment on the cylinder similar to coilovers.To adjust the stiffness of the ride.I myself haven't had any experiance with these systems, but maybe junction gs can help us out with that.. In about a week or so....
Old 04-08-04, 09:58 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default airbag

junciton gs are you doing air cylinder or airbags???? i forgot
Old 04-08-04, 10:06 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

car was dropped off today. will be done in about a week or so

air cylinders
Old 04-08-04, 10:08 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default air ride

how much *kit/labor and who makes the kit
Old 04-08-04, 10:15 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

all being kept confidential for the time being. when the work is done I will let you guys know. sorry. still working out the minor details
Old 04-09-04, 03:32 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

b4 I purchased My GS4 this is one of the mods I wanted to do.... but after a little while at CL I no longer wanted to do this, since I started getting more interested in performance than looks, and due to knowing how bad some of these set ups can be. I had many friends with these system when air suspensions were first out and many things went wrong and didnt work properly. but know that I see junction doing something like this and I beleive junction wouldnt put just anything on his car if he didnt think it was a good product, the door has reopened for me I look frwd to seeing your set up and details
Old 04-09-04, 04:06 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

I've gotten the chance to speak with a lot people who's cars are on air. Even Junction Produce Japan advised me in my choices to get on air. I am taking a chance, but for me, I don't drive my car hard, I don't take those corners all hard. My car has become a cruiser. I think of my car at a level right before a TRAILER Queen, but I still want to drive this to the mall and what not. I began to hate cranking the coilovers for events and then cranking it back up to drive it around. I'd much rather lower it with air at a show and thats about it. Leave it at a decent level for daily driving.

I was just warned not to lock up the suspension (raise the car to its highest point) The more air that you have the less suspension travel you will have. I was also told that at a good height, your ride will be almost like stock, if not softer?

I will find out in about a week or so when my GS is done.. I am taking a chance out there cause most ClubLexus owners are against air because of those people who treat them like hydros. I just want to save 2 hours of my time at shows and events when I lower and raise the car. :X

Quick Reply: air bag kit