Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to adjust ride height w/ Tein Flex

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 09:22 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust ride height w/ Tein Flex

I did a search here but didn't come up with anything that was clear about adjusting the ride height with the Tein Flex Coils. From what I understand you need to loosen the bottom ring of the 3 rings then adjust the height with the top ring and leave the 2nd ring alone? Then lock the 3rd ring back down? I just want to be clear before I start this weekends project.

Thanks
Old 03-24-04, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

NONONOONONONONO. the flex is different coz' it has 3 lock rings, opposed to 2 for the HA, CS, etc...

personally i will NOT touch the lowest one (let's call that 3rd). if you loosen that one, yes you can just turn the whole shock and the car will lower, but i have heard bad stories about that, so don't touch that imho. that's another story.

for for the flex, you turn the 2nd ring and loosen it up, then you turn the 1st ring to adjust the height. afte ryou are done, turn the 2nd ring back up and tighten them together
Old 03-24-04, 02:00 PM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Oh ok, thank you for clearing that up for me. So when you turn the 1st ring up is that mean it is lowering or raising? I am assuming it is lowering but just want to make sure.
Old 03-24-04, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nop, the other way. you move the first ring up, you raise the car. you move it down, you lower the car
Old 03-25-04, 08:46 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
NONONOONONONONO. the flex is different coz' it has 3 lock rings, opposed to 2 for the HA, CS, etc...

personally i will NOT touch the lowest one (let's call that 3rd). if you loosen that one, yes you can just turn the whole shock and the car will lower, but i have heard bad stories about that, so don't touch that imho. that's another story.

for for the flex, you turn the 2nd ring and loosen it up, then you turn the 1st ring to adjust the height. afte ryou are done, turn the 2nd ring back up and tighten them together
By adjusting the 3rd ring, you could change ride height without affecting the spring rate.
Old 03-25-04, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by rodel
By adjusting the 3rd ring, you could change ride height without affecting the spring rate.
that's exactly the problem. so you can make the car ride really low but yet at a very low spring rate. i will let you guys think what the problem is. and YES, i have seen the consequences already
Old 03-31-04, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha damn, no one even try to think what the problem is?
Old 04-01-04, 08:12 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Old 04-01-04, 12:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well here's the answer for those who might want to know.

in general, for normal coilovers, the lower you go, the stiffer the setup become, which makes sense if you know the physics behind shocks and springs. now the flex allows you to adjust height using the top two locks to your feelings and when you get the right comfort, you can lower the car by using the third lock.

well, that pose a problem. of course most people who do this would want a good ride and yet low, right? so that means you make the overall spring rate low (thus soft), but you lower the car more and more.

what happens is you end up with a LOW car and SOFT suspension, whereas if you do the "traditional" type of lowering, it would be LOW and STIFF.

now imaigne if you are making a right turn fast and bam you high a bump / dip, or you go up a drive way fast.

the soft suspension will compress MORE, making it MORE possible that the wheel will catch on the fender tab, and BOOM it blows the whole fender. with the stiff suspension, at least you have less chance of that happening.

so yes, the flex is good in the aspect that you can lower the car without affecting spring rate, but practically that might not be a good idea, at all. if you only go straight line, drive slow, etc... it might work for you. but otherwise, i only tell people to adjust the flex using ONLY the top two locks.

oh and yes, i have seen 2 cases of this type of failure