Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lowering with eibach

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 03:00 PM
twankys
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering with eibach

my eibach springs will arive first of next week but my twentys wont be in until beginning of next month...is it ok to put my eibachs on before my wheels or should i wait in case i have any problems i can still return the eibachs? but i think they said it only had a 14 day return period..... i ordered them at optionimprorts.com and paid 210 plus shipping.......wheels are 20x8.5 with 45 offset

thanks
Old 03-21-04, 06:15 AM
legendary
Racer

It is fine to install them now. It will save you money in the long run if you replace BOTH springs and shocks vs. just springs as you will have to pay for labor x2 if and when a shock goes bad.

You should not have any problems with lowering at that height as the Eibach drop is a mild 1" all around.
I would suggest if you did not get something like Tokico Illumina shocks, that you at least get the OEM replacement or equivalent. The Tokico's are not too pricey if that is a concern for you.

Hope this helps
Old 03-21-04, 07:19 AM
twankys
Driver

Default shocks

so the tokico is a good shock to go with....what are some others?....i heard something about the kyb i think?

thanks
Old 03-21-04, 07:43 AM
legendary
Racer

Default Re: shocks

Originally posted by twankys
so the tokico is a good shock to go with....what are some others?....i heard something about the kyb i think?

thanks
SUSPENSION: The Lexus SC300/400 uses a strut-spring suspension assembly. Any time you purchase suspension lowering parts such as lowering springs or coilovers, you are in effect reducing the suspension travel. The positive effects of this are a lower center of gravity, more even weight distribution in the tires, stiffer handling, improved stability at speed, reduce wheel gap, and sportier look. The negative effects may include a rougher ride quality, eccentric camber, increased wear on other suspension parts, and reduced ground clearance, which effects your approach to some types of terrain you drive over (steep driveways, high speed bumps).

Lowering Springs are aftermarket springs that lower the car's profile and stiffen the ride quality slightly. Eibach makes Prokit springs for the SC300 and SC400 that will drop the ride height about 1 inch all the way around. These are the only springs that function within manufacturer's alignment specifications. The 1-inch drop is, in my opinion, what the stock ride height should be. If you want a sportier, modified look, you should lower the car a bit more. However all springs that lower over 1 inch will operate slightly outside of manufacturer's camber specifications (by one degree negative camber or less), which creates a negligible inside tire wear. This gives you use of about 90 - 95% of the tire's total lifespan.

The following springs fall into that category: Espelir makes springs that drop the ride height 1.5 inches in the front and rear. Intrax makes springs that drop the ride height 1.5 inches in the front and 1.3 inches in the rear. Tanabe makes various springs that drop the ride height about 2-2.5 inches all the way around. Eibach Prokits designed for the JZA80/MKIV Toyota Supra are also compatible with the SC300 and SC400. The Eibach Supra NA Prokits drop the ride height 1.5 inches in the front and 1-inch in the rear. The Eibach Supra TT Prokits drop the ride height 1.3 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear. OEM Supra NA and Supra TT springs lower the SC about 0.5 inch but require Supra strut shocks. See more details on Supra suspension here.

Shocks (Struts) help stiffen the strut spring assembly by reducing bounce and recoil from a compressed spring. Tokico makes a variety of gas shocks for the SC300 and SC400. KYB makes the AGX stiffness adjustable shocks for the SC300 and SC400. Bilstein makes gas shocks for the SC as well. OEM Supra shocks, also made by Tokico, work as well. OEM Supra shocks made for the Supra NA are slightly stiffer than OEM shocks made for the Supra TT. Note that the rear perch heights on both Supra NA and TT shocks are higher than the OEM Lexus SC shocks'. You are required to buy OEM or aftermarket springs designed for the JZA80/MKIV Supra when using these. OEM Lexus SC shocks, made by KYB, also function well with moderately lowered (1-1.5-inch) springs.

Coilover Suspension replaces the strut-spring suspension with added flexibility of ride height and stiffness control. They are considerably more expensive than the strut-spring alternative, but quality, lifespan, and control are substantially greater. Tein makes 4-way adjustable coilovers for the SC300 and SC400. Tein coilovers are optionally controlled by the Tein EDFC controller. The Tein HA is the stiffest coilover, the Tein CS is the softest coilover, and the Tein FLEX is a middle ground between the two. JIC makes two coilover systems for the SC coupe. The JIC SF-1 coilovers are the entry level coilovers, more street-friendly ride quality. The JIC FLT-A2 coilovers are their high end coilovers, more suitable for track and auto-crossing. Both JIC coilovers compliment the JIC strut tower bars because of their lengthened strut studs. HKS makes the DRAG and Hipermax Damper II coilovers that also work with the SC coupe. AB Flug makes ECS-I Scoot Tune coilovers designed for the SC coupe. Additionally, any coilover system made for the JZA80/MKIV Supra will work well with the Lexus SC coupe.

Air Ride Suspension uses individual air cans in place of the strut-springs and two larger air tanks to control suspension properties. This system offers active control over ride height in a similar nature to hydrolic suspension. Canover makes an air can suspenion for the SC300 and SC400. This system is similar to the air ride suspension offered in the Toyota Soarer GT.

Sway Bars act to reduce body roll and improve the handling capabilities of the SC. If you want to retain the OEM Lexus sway bar and increase stiffness, Daizen offers high performance bushings that replace the rubber ones with polyurethane. If you want to increase stiffness, Toyota Supra sway bars can be used, but only in conjunction with the Toyota Supra end link mounts. TRD Supra sway bars further increase stiffness from the stock Supra bars, but again require the Supra end link mounts. Daizen sway bars made for the Lexus SC are the stiffest replacement option offering the thickest bar and polyurethane bushings.

Strut Tower Bars increase the stiffness of the chassis and improves the car's handling properties. Any front strut tower bar made for the Supra with a flattened cross bar (non-tubular) will physically fit the Lexus SC300/400s with safe engine clearance and safe hood clearance. In order for the strut tower bar to clear the top of the motor's intake manifold, you must purchase and install four additional strut brace reinforcements (OEM spacers) (part no: 53723-24010). Another condition necessary for safety is to replace the strut-springs with suspension components that offer longer strut studs (such as the JIC SF-1 coilover). This requirement is due to the added space the strut brace reinforcements create and the need to fully thread the strut brace nuts. It is highly recommended that you do not attempt to install strut tower bars without using lengthened screw studs. With that said, Cusco and JIC both make polished and carbon fiber front strut tower bars for the SC300/400.

Control Arms are located at the ends of each axle behind each wheel and are responsible for isolating and cushioning the car's chassis. Daizen Sport Tuning makes polyurethane control arm bushings and sway bar bushings that replace the stock rubber bushings. This eliminates squeaks and roughness you may have in an older, worn suspension system and tightens road feel and response by abosorbing higher torsional loads. The control arm bushings also have a longer lifespan and help combat negative camber (tire wear) issues. Todd Matsubara at TM Engineering is the premiere dealer and installer for Daizen products and is able to answer any more specific questions about them. Polyurethane does not deteriorate like rubber; However, it does require regreasing approximately every four years or as needed.

Camber Correction Kits remedy otherwise unfixable negative wheel camber associated with suspension lowering. Anytime you lower the SC suspension beyond one-inch, the factory alignment bolts are unable to fully compensate and you are left with negative camber. Negative camber causes uneven inner-outer tire wear, reduced braking response, and reduced handling performance. Daizen Sport Tuning has developed a camber kit for the SC300/400, which corrects for up to 1.5-degrees of negative camber by using an offset polyurethane bushing design. Todd Matsubara at TM Engineering is the premiere dealer and installer for Daizen products and is able to answer any more specific questions about them.

Taken from:
http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#028
Old 03-21-04, 01:14 PM
twankys
Driver

Default need opinions

ok here is what i am doing putting 20x8.5 with 245/35 nittont555 with a 45 offset on a 97 sc300. putting on eibach pro kit for the sc so i will get a one inch drop.....what shocks do you guys recommend for keeping the closest to factory ride? dont care about racing just want as nice a ride i can get with twentys.......kyb,bilsteins,tokico, whatever else there is.....pleae help me out as to where i can get some shocks as well......how long a life will i get out of the shocks and springs? are the kyb adjustable as to ride firmness/softness....the post above is very informative so thank you, just curious as to what you guys recommend for me

thanks again
Old 03-21-04, 01:17 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

KYB = harsh ride. Go with the Tokicos or the Bilsteins.
Old 03-24-04, 01:12 PM
twankys
Driver

Default tokico

i am gettin the tokico struts with eibach springs for the sc....now i need to know should i get the adjustable tokico or just the regular ones......i just want as close to factory ride as i can get.....so is there a need for the adjustables? will the regular ones give me what i want? also where can i get these from? how much am i looking to pay....i havent put the eibachs on yet wanted to do it all at once to save money
thanks for the help
Old 03-26-04, 08:14 PM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

Default Re: lowering with eibach

Originally posted by twankys
my eibach springs will arive first of next week but my twentys wont be in until beginning of next month...is it ok to put my eibachs on before my wheels or should i wait in case i have any problems i can still return the eibachs? but i think they said it only had a 14 day return period..... i ordered them at optionimprorts.com and paid 210 plus shipping.......wheels are 20x8.5 with 45 offset

thanks
when you've put on your rims and suspension, are you rubbing on the driver's side???? I'm running 245-30-20 with NITTOS and i rub! good thing i have coilovers, but if the gap is too much, then i'm selling the 20's....
Old 03-27-04, 02:02 PM
twankys
Driver

i dont know wont get it done till end of next week but everyone ive talked to said i shouldnt have trouble......mjames had the same setup and offset as i am gettting and he siad it only rubbed on really tight turns.......what is your offset and you have any photos?