Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein CS vs Apexi World Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-04, 11:54 PM
chrisgs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein CS vs Apexi World Sport

I narrowed it down to Tein CS and Apexi WS. Range from 1-10. what would you choose/give each brand if you want to have a comfort (like stock) and good handling ride. i heard lots of good thing about Tein CS and Apexi WS but members choose to go with Tein CS. Please help. Thanks

Tein CS $1425
Apexi WS $1192
Old 03-15-04, 12:10 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So far, I've only read good things about the Apex'i. I have not driven or rode in a car with one so I can't really help in your decision. I only want to bring up EDFC. If you want to be able to electronically adjust the dampening, then you only have one choice. Otherwise, I'll let the other members chime in.
Old 03-15-04, 12:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i keep on forgetting but is the apexi both height and stiffness adjustable? neo has a good point on the edfc too

i have my cs and can't be happier
Old 03-15-04, 02:31 AM
altaf
Pole Position

I don't think you will easily find the Apexi WS anymore... I was told they were discontinued. Just for reference, the Apexi is height adjustable, but the dampening is not adjustable. I have the WS but have not installed them yet. I believe several other members have also purchased the WS through a Group Buy just recently, so they can share their results. From what I have read, Apexi WS has the best price vs. performance, which is why I purchased them.
Old 03-15-04, 02:56 AM
zenki300
Driver

Default I'd give Apexi an 8

If adjusting the dampening is not a concern for you, go with the Apexi WS system.

If you have the need to fine tune your suspension to "exactly" what you want, then go with the TEIN CS. Otherwise, if you're not going to even bother adjusting your dampeners again after you have them tuned... then it is up to you if you want to spend the extra couple hundred on that feature.

I can only speak about the Apexi's, since I personally have them and enjoy it much. With no other aftermarket suspension parts installed on my car yet besides these coilovers to affect my judgment on them, I have concluded that these are noticeably stiffer than stock, but it's not race-spec stiffness either. More like the suspension that you get from most sports cars off the dealer lot, maybe a tad bit stiffer. I found them to be very much like my old 1990 300zx suspension in stiffness and handling capability, or my brother's 1985 300zx tuned with the Adjustable Tokico Shocks set at the stiffest settings.
Also, if you happen to ride in vehicles with stiffer suspension all the time, then the change from stock GS suspension to the WS suspension won't be so hard to adjust to. On a side note, even though the WS suspension is preset, it dampers well all the bumps you encounter and no creaking whatsoever as long as everything is installed properly. Construction is sturdy on all the components, and if you examine closely, it is simply a basic coilover system (similar sized springs compared to stock, and shocks with a body threaded almost entirely). I would say it is like buying aftermarket shocks and springs in one nice and neat package without going through the hassle of trying to find the right components that work in unison. Well, enough babbling on my part, hopefully somebody with the CS will chime in with their opinions too.
Old 03-15-04, 05:52 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

if you go with the Apexi's, attempt to get a better price than 1200 dollars there as recently a group buy where they were 779 shipped!
Old 03-15-04, 07:42 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Love the CS

After driving on the Tein CS for about 7k miles now, I have to say I would rate them a 10! NO noise at all, excellent damping characteristics and, for me, perfect balance between ride comfort and handling ability. The Daizen sways compliment the CS perfectly, and besides that, they're beautiful too!

Last edited by FutureGS400; 03-15-04 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-15-04, 08:20 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

this is my first experience with coilovers and i must give these tein cs's a full scale 10!.. rides like stock and with the flick of a switch feels like it's ready to eat the track... just my 0.02 cents
Old 03-15-04, 08:50 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
this is my first experience with coilovers and i must give these tein cs's a full scale 10!.. rides like stock and with the flick of a switch feels like it's ready to eat the track... just my 0.02 cents
Then you have not driven in the "stiffer" setups. The handling in those are a step above. Still, I agree that the CS is a good compromise between handling and stock-quality ride. Unless you are hitting every turn hard and are tracking the car, you will be pretty happy with the CS.
Old 03-15-04, 09:19 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: Love the CS

Originally posted by FutureGS400
and besides that, they're beautiful too!

i second that, when I was getting my HA's installed, a shipment came in with some CS's and man that shiny gold is almost to nice to put UNDER the car!! LOL
Old 03-15-04, 06:08 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the prices u posted there must b retail? the apexis were going 4 like 780.00 just recently and the cs's were 1295.00 shipped from carson.....

i can't give an opinion on the apexis's cus i've never seen or driven on them but i can give u my feel on the cs's..........great !!!.....that about says it all......
Old 03-15-04, 10:11 PM
chrisgs
Driver

Guys, Thank you very very much for all of your opinions. One last question, where is the best place to buy Tein CS. Thanks again and good luck with yours mod.
Old 03-15-04, 10:28 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One last question, where is the best place to buy Tein CS.

Give steve at carson toyota a call.His prices and service can't be beat.BTW-The TEIN CS will be an excellent choice. The ride is controlled and comfortable..The best of both worlds.
Old 03-15-04, 10:30 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by chrisgs
Guys, Thank you very very much for all of your opinions. One last question, where is the best place to buy Tein CS. Thanks again and good luck with yours mod.
Try Steve at Carson or Todd at TMEngineering. Both great vendors.
Old 03-15-04, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by chrisgs
send an email to todd at todd@tmengineering.net and tell him henry refers you. i got the best price on all my teins from him

Quick Reply: Tein CS vs Apexi World Sport