Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A few newby (to coilovers) questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-04, 06:29 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few newby (to coilovers) questions

Hey guys, the one bad thing about that damn cover was, I could not ask for info before I took it off! So if you see me posting questions like a newb, you know why!! I guess Tein owners should answer on 3, 4 and 5 but 1 and 2 are fair game for all coilover users!

1. What anti-seize product do you use on your threads?
2. How often do you lube your threads?
3. How many fingers (i have skinny fingers) does a few threads equal (ie, i have 1finger in the front now, if I
wanted it to be 0 finger, but not tucked, how many threads would I turn it?)
4. How many threads are on the left vs the right?- no car sits perfectly even, so I would imagine you guys
must have different heights for the opposing sides!

5. *IMPORTANT*- Spring seating- I need to see a few pics of your springs when they are properly
seated in the perch, to know what it should look like. I know that improperly seated springs are the
cause of the dreaded "clunk, clunk" noise.
Old 03-12-04, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) wd40 is all i need, done that many times, work like a charm
2) maybe twice a yr? that's with cali weather. if you are in snow area, you should be ultra careful during winter. the HA isn't aluminum, so it WILL rust (unless flex and cs which are both aluminum). make sure you clean the coilover from time to time. also, don't just lube the thread, but also turn them back and forth a bit. and for those without edfc (to myself), turn the **** at the top twice a yr too just to make sure it still turns
3) you should crank down the coilover a bit less than what you want. for example, if you want to lower it by 1", crank down the threads by about 3/4", at least on my flex and cs that was a pretty good rule of thumb. might not be perfect but you have a reference there i think. i forgot about my HA already since it's been too long ago
4) i really don't know this. i know they are off by quite a bit. something like 4 to 6 threads difference. yes it's a lot, but that's how unbalanced our cars are, left and right
5) man this is a tough one, that means i have to take off my wheels, which is kinda unwilling man (i hate jacking up the car @_@ i will see what i can do, maybe i haev some pics of my old HA, but probably from far away anyway. why, you have noise now?
Old 03-13-04, 04:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 198 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for posting up those questions Derrick!
Old 03-13-04, 05:08 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

good inquiry...keep those inquiries coming!
Old 03-13-04, 07:24 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Rom, when I got the coils installed, I had a clunking noise especially from the rear, that's why I took it back (also to raise it) thursday night when I left the shop, there was no noise. Yesterday I took my car to have the exhaust re-aligned, I pulled one off the hanger (don't ask), and when it came off the lift a slight noise is back. This leads me to believe that spring seating is the culprit!!

Also I want to count threads man, damn the inch measurements!! C'mon man ur da pro, help us lowly newbs out!!. I'm pretty happy with the rear (maybe just a smidge lower) but I want to take a finger out of the front!
Old 03-13-04, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Maybe it's your exhaust clunking and not the coilover?
Old 03-13-04, 09:52 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Maybe it's your exhaust clunking and not the coilover?
I wish it was, that's easy!! I got the coils installed about 2-3 weeks ago, and the exhaust just this week, so I know this clunk all too well now. It is a lot better than before, but after the lift unloaded the spring, then loaded it again, I think it may have shifted slightly!!
Old 03-13-04, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Hmmm... no probs here, and my car's been lifted since I had them installed (for alignment and high speed on car balance).
Old 03-14-04, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Rom, when I got the coils installed, I had a clunking noise especially from the rear, that's why I took it back (also to raise it) thursday night when I left the shop, there was no noise. Yesterday I took my car to have the exhaust re-aligned, I pulled one off the hanger (don't ask), and when it came off the lift a slight noise is back. This leads me to believe that spring seating is the culprit!!

Also I want to count threads man, damn the inch measurements!! C'mon man ur da pro, help us lowly newbs out!!. I'm pretty happy with the rear (maybe just a smidge lower) but I want to take a finger out of the front!
that's weird about the sound, i don't recall having much noise with the HA. now after having the CS for a while i do recall hearing some noise on the flex but that seems to be the case for most flex owners. but the HA it's pretty simple setup, it's surprising if the springs aren't sitting right. you hear the noise when going over bumps?

damn i really forgot about the threads thing. i used to have a pretty accurate conversion, something like almost 1/4" every thread? don't count me on that, i gave up long time ago after i started using a ruler to measure stuff.

now one thing i can think of, if say you want to lower another finger, how about you put your finger against the threads and see how many threads you can count, and then times that by around 3/4 and get the number of threads you have to do? so say you put your finger on that and it's 4 fingers, then try to turn down another 3?