Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I have stock GS4 brakes... bad pedal feel, noisey, grinding, etc... help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 09:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question I have stock GS4 brakes... bad pedal feel, noisey, grinding, etc... help!

Well I bought my 99 GS4 at 30k miles. I've now had it for 53k miles. When I first got it I thought something major was wrong with the brakes because:

-Almost every time it rains I guess my rotors rust a bit, which is normal for a lot of cars, but what's not normal is that when I'm braking in reverse after they have rusted over a bit (usually takes at least 4-5 hours of rain or dew while my car is parked), I get a horrible loud noise that sounds like my whole car is riding on a brake rotor rather than a wheel... the whole car shudders. It's so loud that anyone within 100 feet will immediately turn and look at me like 'WTF is a late model lexus doing making that kind of noise!?'

-The brake pedal feel of this car SUCKS. I don't know how to describe it, but it just take too much effort to get the car to stop and nearly ever stop feels like a panic stop in most other cars even though technically its nowhere near.
Furthermore, it gives a slight sensation of something 'grinding'... like the pedal feel of the rotors almost feels 'gritty' if I could describe it like that.

-The brakes are somewhat noisey when stopping... it used to be very apparent with my older cheaper tires, but now with my Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs its 80% gone... still though, with an engine so silent, and interior so quite, the brakes are definitely the noisiest thing in the car when I need to stop.

So is this normal or if not what is wrong with my brakes? I took my car to the local Lexus dealer with all of those complaints and all they came back to me with was the front brake pads needed to be replaced (not badly, but they were within their replaceable limits)... they replaced 'em and nothing changed really.

Help!
Old 03-06-04, 10:06 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I have stock GS4 brakes... bad pedal feel, noisey, grinding, etc... help!

Originally posted by Threxx
-Almost every time it rains I guess my rotors rust a bit, which is normal for a lot of cars, but what's not normal is that when I'm braking in reverse after they have rusted over a bit (usually takes at least 4-5 hours of rain or dew while my car is parked), I get a horrible loud noise that sounds like my whole car is riding on a brake rotor rather than a wheel... the whole car shudders. It's so loud that anyone within 100 feet will immediately turn and look at me like 'WTF is a late model lexus doing making that kind of noise!?'
I have my car in my garage so I don't get this as much. It does happen when I wash my car though. I always attribute it to the pads not making good enough contact because of the rust. Once it wears down the rust, then eveything is OK again. After I clean my car, I usually take it for a ride around the block to get rid of the rust. I brake periodically to let the system get rid of the rust. Although it is a pain, I think this is normal. If it is not, someone please say otherwise.

Originally posted by Threxx

-The brake pedal feel of this car SUCKS. I don't know how to describe it, but it just take too much effort to get the car to stop and nearly ever stop feels like a panic stop in most other cars even though technically its nowhere near.
The GS brake system is one of the best stock ones out there. I agree about the feel/feedback though. What people have found is that replacing the brake lines with SS ones to reduce flex improves the feel tremendously.
Old 03-06-04, 10:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I had a big response typed up but lost it

In short.

Upgrade brake lines to stainless steel. I did mine a few years ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=22934

Consider new cadmium plated rotors (or similar) that will be rust resistant which will help get rid of the rust / sound issue when they're wet.
Old 03-06-04, 10:59 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Okay... I did some searching on stainless steel brake lines. Is RMM's stainless steel lines the best choice out there or does it really make a difference?

Also, I read a bit about 'Motul 600' brake fluid... would this benefit me at all if I don't really do any hard braking or racing? I mean, for 100% daily driving use and moderate/easy braking would it results in any better braking feel, longer life of by braking system, longer period of time inbetween brake system flushes, etc??
Old 03-06-04, 11:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

From what I understand, the Motul won't help your situation at all. It has a higher resistance to heat than regular brake fluid (the high fluid heat/boiling contributes significantly to brake fade when you're on a track or have repeated hard braking). Don't think you're running into that problem.

It's very good fluid and if you're going to have your system flushed / filled you might want to consider using it... but it won't treat any of the symptoms you've written about here.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-06-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-06-04, 11:28 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What Dave said about the Motul fluid.

As for the lines, I have not seen any one complain about the different manufacturers. I believe it is still a rubber hose inside. The SS wraps the outside to prevent flex when pressure is in the hose giving you a more linear feel.

Goodridge, StopTech, Rotora are some of the other companies that make the lines for our car. I have the StopTech ones although they are not installed yet.
Old 03-06-04, 02:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Threxx, I know how you feel about brake feel in general. I don't know if you're running stock rims, but with bigger rims the feel will be even worse. I eventually upgraded the fronts to 14" StopTechs, performance pads and steel lines, and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY. If you ever make it down to Atlanta, I'll let you check it out.

As far as the shuddering when the brakes are wet, this happens if I drive the car right after washing it. It's no biggie - it goes away after a few seconds as water is flushed out. You might try using a leaf blower on your rims after it rains if it really bugs ya.
Old 03-07-04, 02:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

braking feel on my car was very bad. i upgraded my brake system as a whole but i am sure if you want better feeling the ss line is going to help. rmm just uses goodridge lines anyway, i would just get goodridge lines for cheaper. they are very good to begin with

and baout the fluid, i have heard that if you go with ss lines, it's better to use synthetic fluids, such as the motul 600. i changed to motul 600 when i got my ap racing, it's just about 10 bucks each and you need 3 bottles so it's not that bad
Old 03-07-04, 04:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I stuck with Lexus brake fluid and my brakes still rock but certainly nothing wrong with going with Motul.
Old 03-08-04, 11:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

OK, I've got the SS brake lines ordered...

What about the excessive noise when braking normally? Almost kind of a howl or whine. It used to be really bad on my old cheap tires, but it's gotten much better with my new Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs... still, none the less, it's there, and it's a lot louder than on any other car I've driven. Which is weird to have something on a Lexus that's louder than the average car half its price.

Also... the 'grinding' sensation I get when I apply the brakes. It almost seems as though the griding feel and the noise might be related. But the Lexus dealer has checked my brakes before and said there's nothing wrong with them... so do GS4s just have rough/noisey braking in addition to the other issues I mentioned?

That's so strange for a Lexus of all vehicles, especially considering how much time they obviously spent engineering the brakes since they stop the car faster than a lot of sports cars out there!

Last edited by Threxx; 03-08-04 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 03:52 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yo Threxx, I had same problem. (The rust usually scrapes off after a few seconds of braking.) You could get crazy with a lot of mods, and they will all help, but I changed my pads to EBC Greenstuff with the stock rotors, and there's a night and day difference in stopping power and feel. The only thing that sucks is that they produce way more brake dust than the stock pads ever did, at least the set that I have (they're supposed to be low brake dust !). No fade WHATSOEVER. I've been afraid somebody's going to hit me in the rear 'cause they can't stop nearly as well as I can. There have also been reports of these pads wearing down the stock rotors prematurely, so search the threads for more info. You definitely should switch from using stock pads if you're having this problem, which brand is your choice. There are other good choices other than EBC.