Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

buying a used gs300, question about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 08:50 AM
fog80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a used gs300, question about lowering

hey guys.

i recently was in a accident and totaled my es300, im going to be getting a gs300/400 this time......now i will be getting some rims this time probably like 18's or 19's.

now ive never had rims before but after some reading on here i see that getting rims without lowering your car is the cardinal sin.

now i will not be doing any other mods to this car at all.....i dont race or anything. this is a get to work, go out, go home car for me.

what brands/parts should i buy to get the car lowered, how low will the car go? and will the ride be bumpier now?

thanks.

(ps. i did search but ended up confused with all the coilover vs springs talk)
Old 03-10-04, 03:19 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean but I think I am getting a handle on all the terms and what is what on the subject. From what I have learned, you will be giving up a small amount of ride comfort. Not a major amount, and some people don't even notice any loss of ride comfort. You will though have uneven wear on your inner tires with lowering any car.

How low the car goes will depend on the springs and shocks you choose. There is a set in the members classified section for sale that I am looking at as well. From what I understand, it's a great deal.
Old 03-10-04, 04:38 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I said the same thing..."i dont race or anything. this is a get to work, go out, go home car for me" and now I have full suspension bracing, sways, coilovers, body kit, wheels, intake, etc... LOL! It's an '02 with 7,500 miles on it...most of miles are from picking up new parts LOL!

You can get rims without lowering the car, but if you look closely at the gap between the tires and the fender you will see that it is rather large in comparison to other cars (Audi, BMW, Mercedes)...hence, to make it appear more in line with the appearance you were after with the addition of the new wheels.

The whole look will come together with a slight drop vs. stock. There arae many combination of springs/shocks and coilovers that can give you the desired look and quality ride you are looking for...essentially, all of these options will improve the handling capabilites of your car with some not diminishing the ride quality at all...I would look into L-Tuned (which are considered OEM parts), or bilstein or KYB for shocks...eibach, L-Tuned, H&R, Tanabe, Daizen for springs.

All these have their own individual advantages/disadvantages as it reltes to you own preferences...I would just continue to read into the boards, use the search function to find old posts and research which combination seems right for you...and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck...