Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Gotta a Problem (got coilovers, wife thinks too stiff)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 09:11 PM
mo98gs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gotta a Problem

I've had my gs for a few years and I've browsed the forums, but now I've done my first mod and the wife hates it. I put Bilstein PSS coilovers on and now she always wants to take her SUV! I think it made a world of improvement in the handling and 'feel' of the car and it is admittedly stiff, but better than my Corvette I used to drive. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to reduce the feedback without killing the handling of the coilovers? I've thought about adding sways and an STB, but I'm a not sure that will help the ride.
Old 03-01-04, 09:27 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha! Sorry. I just went through this whole issue too. I had Tein Flex (more performance) and swapped them out for Tein CS (more cruising). The CS are much better in terms of WAF and the handling is much improved from stock (although I think she still prefers stock ). The PSS are nice tight handling system but they are on the stiff side.

It really depends on how far you want to take the GS. If you want an all-out sport car, then you won't be able to retain that soft ride. Gotta give up something to get something. If you want a better handler than stock while retaining most of the stock feel, my suggestion is to go with the Tein CS/Daizen f/r sway bars combo. I also heard the HKS LS are pretty soft too but I've never rode or driven a car with it so I have no real life feedback.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-04, 11:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: Gotta a Problem

Originally posted by mo98gs4
I've had my gs for a few years and I've browsed the forums, but now I've done my first mod and the wife hates it. I put Bilstein PSS coilovers on and now she always wants to take her SUV! I think it made a world of improvement in the handling and 'feel' of the car and it is admittedly stiff, but better than my Corvette I used to drive. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to reduce the feedback without killing the handling of the coilovers? I've thought about adding sways and an STB, but I'm a not sure that will help the ride.
addy the stb and sways would only make it worse. you shoudl have gotten a softer coilover setup. the tein CS is one of the softest i have seen and i love it. i have had it on my car and i can't complain at all
Old 03-02-04, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

That's why I got the EDFC for the Tein Flex so I can set it to 12/12 (pretty soft damper setting) for wifey rides.
Old 03-02-04, 06:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

My girlfriend likes it stiffer / harder.

[edit: for all you folks with dirty minds, this means my girlfriend likes my Bilstein PSS coilovers. Get your filthy self out of the gutter if you read it any other way.]

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-05-04 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 06:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
So to speak.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-02-04 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 07:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
That's why I got the EDFC for the Tein Flex so I can set it to 12/12 (pretty soft damper setting) for wifey rides.
Couldn't agree more.
ROFL my head off!!!!!
Old 03-02-04, 07:53 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

And on our next episode of Mods gone wild..................

LOL good one Dave!
Old 03-02-04, 08:31 AM
roguenode
Pole Position

Not to hijack this thread, but I just got flex's and am about to have them installed. If I plan on eventually getting the EDFC, should I do it now with the Flex install, or is it not much extra trouble to have added later?

(Anyone have a edfc for sale? )
Old 03-02-04, 08:42 AM
mo98gs4
Driver School Candidate

Glad to provide a little humor during the work day!

I was curious if there are any CL members from the midwest area? I'm in St. Louis and before I purchase other suspension mods to later sell, a test ride would be worth my time. At least I could tell the wife that I experienced it before the purchase.
Old 03-02-04, 08:49 AM
roguenode
Pole Position

I'm in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois (a couple of hours North of you) and will have Tien Flex on soon (and possibly EDFC as well).
Old 03-02-04, 09:01 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aiyaiyai Dave...leave it up to you to come up with punchy one-liners....
Old 03-02-04, 12:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

So that Viagara really works, huh?
Old 03-02-04, 02:27 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL. With all the ride quality discussions, I'm surprised this comment has not come out already..

Originally posted by roguenode
Not to hijack this thread, but I just got flex's and am about to have them installed. If I plan on eventually getting the EDFC, should I do it now with the Flex install, or is it not much extra trouble to have added later?
Totally independent install. No need to do EDFC now unless you want the flexibility of on-the-fly settings, or even somewhat frequent settings change.
Old 03-02-04, 02:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

You guys and your dirty dirty minds . My post was certainly tounge in cheek (no pun intended there ) but I guess I'm lucky that she's into cars and handling.

I talked her OUT of getting coilovers for her NSX some time ago (she got Eibach / Bilstein instead) because I thought her car would be way too stiff with them. Since I traded up and got my coilovers I've never heard the end of it.

mo, I can't think of anything you can add to make the ride on your GS softer... pretty much everything you can add from this point forward will help it handle better, but the overall effect will be an even stiffer ride with more braces or even sways.

Just out of curiosity what wheels / tires do you have on your GS? A fat tire setup might help a bit?

Quick Reply: Gotta a Problem (got coilovers, wife thinks too stiff)