Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just installed Apexi N1 WS dampers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 09:33 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Just installed Apexi N1 WS dampers...

I just installed the Apexi N1 WS dampers (GB from Carson Toyota) to replace my Eibach pro kit/Bilstein shock combo...initial thoughts are the ride is soooooo much smoother....like floating, but handles very crisp. The springs are probably the thickest/strongest spings Todd @ TM Engineering has ever seen for the GS! The shocks are a little less rigid then the Bilsteins...thus the combo really does make it feel more stock. I have also lowered it a bit more then the previous combo...right now it is sitting at about 1 finger height...I guess I will see where it settles in a week or so.

I also added the Tom's Rear Lower Chassis Brace...it's been raining so I haven't been able to test completely yet

I will follow up with some pics of the drop, etc... when the sun comes back out!
Old 02-23-04, 09:34 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your selling your old set up hit me up Im interested in the shocks
Old 02-23-04, 09:42 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by LEXISM
if your selling your old set up hit me up Im interested in the shocks
Hehe,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=111142
Old 02-23-04, 09:54 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Thanks NEO...

I could just sell you the shocks...but the whole setup works soooo well together. If interested, just reply to the marketplace post or shoot me a PM.
Old 02-23-04, 10:00 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Update - drove the car around some known turns between the spurts of rain...and let just say the only thing that is not making the car completely stick is the tires...otherwise, no noticeable roll...it's a very smooth ride, but still very responsive to the road...also the car has sunk another .25 -.50 inch...just to the top of the tire now...I did scrap something at a slight dip at high speed at this height
Old 02-23-04, 10:14 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by KVA
Update - drove the car around some known turns between the spurts of rain...and let just say the only thing that is not making the car completely stick is the tires...otherwise, no noticeable roll...it's a very smooth ride, but still very responsive to the road...also the car has sunk another .25 -.50 inch...just to the top of the tire now...I did scrap something at a slight dip at high speed at this height
Any dampening adjustments on these Apexi?
Old 02-23-04, 10:18 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by KVA
also the car has sunk another .25 -.50 inch...just to the top of the tire now...I did scrap something at a slight dip at high speed at this height
It does not take much. With every little bit you lower, you will have to relearn where you can and cannot drive (or at least drive differently).

I used to have 1 finger in front and less than that (almost 0 finger) in the rear. Driving around town was a pain. I was hitting my skirts coming down from speed bumps. I recently raised the car to about 2 finger in front and 1 in the rear and can move around town much more freely.

As a side note, I find it funny how we all talk about finger gaps but I know we all are different shapes and sizes. 1 finger is different for everyone and can be bigger for a 250lbs guy vs a 150lbs guy.
Old 02-23-04, 11:05 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

PHML - Nope no dampening adjustments (like Tein Flex) that i know of...just the ability to drop it to the floor...the shocks are threaded top to bottom

Neo - I hear ya...I can only guess that my fingers ARE bigger then yours...hahaha! I have always driven carefully with the drop...maybe a little more so now. The back is at the top of the wheel and the front is probably an 3/4 inch higher...Todd said you switched to CS? How is the ride? I will probably take it back to him to adjust it once it settles completely.
Old 02-23-04, 01:34 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by KVA
Neo - Todd said you switched to CS? How is the ride?
Much better than Flex. When I first got in, I felt I lost some road feedback and did not like the ride. I've since gotten used to how smooth it is and although I sometimes miss the Flex's handling capabilities, I prefer the CS for everyday driving now. Plus, with all the bracing I have, I'm still way ahead of the stock handling.
Old 02-23-04, 01:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update KVA, looking forward to a long term assesment on these babies!! LOL
Old 02-23-04, 01:42 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

I hear you...I was thinking stiffer, but the ride turned out pleasant...if you weren't inside driving you wouldn't know it was lowered. My wife wasn't too happy with me changing out the suspension, but I think when she rides in it she will like it much better...it rides very nice. I start to wonder without all the bracing how it would handle with just the coilovers? I may change out the TRD FLCB to the Tom's and add the 6 piece link kit to complete the suspension picture and kill any doubts I may have.
Old 02-23-04, 02:29 PM
kola
Driver

kva - did you kept the stock upper pillow mount? have u ridden any other car with different coilovers cuz i know that the apexi coilovers are rated softer than the CS.
Old 02-23-04, 02:29 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

KVA, small favor, if you have a second car, have your wife drive the GS down the road and let us know if the car has a soft bounce over humps, etc. I have seen many coilovers that are on a soft setting do this. its not the bunny rabbit bounce like chopped spirings, but more like a 'float' that cant be felt in the car, but seen from the outside!

Hope you know what I mean!
Old 02-23-04, 02:30 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Just looked at your sig, you do have a second car!
Old 02-23-04, 03:29 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

D - I can do that...unfortunately the wife doesn't get many opportunities to drive my car Last time she did I had to get rid of the Tanabe exhaust Hence, I may have to get someone else to try it out..LOL...or i'll be back to stock before you know it!

Quick Reply: Just installed Apexi N1 WS dampers...