Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ltuned suspension setup problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-01, 12:05 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys i just recently setup my Ltuned suspension, the car looks great as its lowered, but i found out that when i go over bumps, there it some weird sounds coming from the tire???dont know.....but with the stock suspension, i never heard the wierd sound....i thought thje sound is from the suspension....or maybe the tire??? is this normal???or ..????
Old 04-01-01, 10:58 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird sounds are never normal. Is it isolated to one corner? Could be the installation, or the L-Tuned parts.

Without knowing any details, swap parts from one corner to another and see if the sound follows. This will let you know if it's the install or parts.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-01, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

No noises on my L-Tuned setup.

Who did the install, a Lexus dealer?

If you went el cheapo aftermarket shop, I hate to state the obvious.
Old 04-01-01, 07:21 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know.....before GS430, i drove 94LS400, maybe the LS is just too soft...or it's because im not used to the stiffer ride of my GS430...?? well, it's like...sometimes when i go over bumps, the sound comes out but sometimes not, well.....i went to a performance shop in LA. any input?
Old 04-02-01, 10:59 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

If you search the site you will see numerous discussions about L-Tuned suspension installations.

I believe you'll see in the past posts that, although it doesn't appear to be complicated, if it's not done right symptoms such as yours can show up.

It's probably something like a bushing not aligned properly, but it's not supposed to make noise.

So either
1. Take it back to where you got the work done and have them do it right. If they are reputable they'll fix it. It shouldn't be a big deal. Just something they overlooked in the install.

2. Take it to the dealer (and pay more $$) for them to figure it out.
Old 04-04-01, 07:38 PM
Risk3233
Driver

Anytime you go from a factory suspension setup to one that is more "sporting" in design, you will feel more of the road and notice more of its irregularities in terms of ride feel and road noise.

Since you are switching from an LS model vehicle which is primarily designed to isolate the driver from the road, and going to a GS with aftermarket suspension upgrades, it is only natural that when you go to a more sporting suspension setup you give up some comfort.

Various things can be causing increased road noise and suspension noise. The GS has lower profile tires which can contribute to noisier passenger cabins. The stiffer spring rates and shock valve rates can increase rattles along the chasis.

Old 04-04-01, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Andrew, did you get a good alignment also?
Old 04-09-01, 08:58 PM
Grush
Rookie

Thumbs up Finally Fixed!!

I'm proud to report that TRD addressed the popping noises from my L-Tuned suspension directly. Thanks to Jomar and chief tech Bob for their professionalism and willingness to resolve the problem, all in typical Lexus quality/fashion. Both Longo and Tustin Service advised that they do not install the new stops due to the noise. Steve, Jomar and Bob were interested in all information I had been told and eager to resolve the issue.

Bob at TRD noted that the bump stops that originally came with my 2001 are a new improved design. They re-installed the factory stops in place of the L-Tuned free-floating stops. So far so good, with not even a peep (or a pop) in the 18 mile trip home.

Special thanks to Steve Ganz who inquired with TRD and opened that door, and then continued to follow up even on the day of the repair. Service and support such as this is commendable, and quite frankly, the reason Lexus will always keep me as a customer.

Thanks also to this forum's members for all the feedback. Just goes to show that the sharing of information can be invaluable.

Steve
Old 04-20-01, 03:56 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Default Tustin L-tuned

Hello, I just had Tustin Lexus doing all the L-tuned setup for me these couple of days, they sure charge a lot, but the result is fantasic. Dealer is the best.. and excellent service as well. I strongly recommand tustin Lexus dealer for every upgrades. = D

ps, wow some of you live so close to me!

=D
Old 06-27-01, 11:48 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Default Re: Tustin L-tuned

Originally posted by gsintensive
Hello, I just had Tustin Lexus doing all the L-tuned setup for me these couple of days, they sure charge a lot, but the result is fantasic. Dealer is the best.. and excellent service as well. I strongly recommand tustin Lexus dealer for every upgrades. = D

ps, wow some of you live so close to me!

=D
I just called Tustin, and they said that they will ONLY install parts that you purchase directly from them, so if I bought the parts from Steve, and bring them into Tustin, they will not install them and warranty them. any suggestions? or other dealers around the S. Cal area?

thanks,
Old 06-27-01, 12:19 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb longo

lex,

that is a bunch of policy BS.

go to LONGO-1800-92-longo , and ask for PERRY Roeder(my service advisor and long time bud), he quoted me the lowest dealer price(~$375) that i know. plus you know that longo is well known for its service. tell him william send you there.

if you decide not to have a dealer install, you could save some $$$, just a suggestion.

will
Old 06-27-01, 02:50 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: longo

Originally posted by gs4will
lex,

that is a bunch of policy BS.

go to LONGO-1800-92-longo , and ask for PERRY Roeder(my service advisor and long time bud), he quoted me the lowest dealer price(~$375) that i know. plus you know that longo is well known for its service. tell him william send you there.

will

Will,

Is Perry's car that Black GS with BBS wheels that's always parked at that underground entrance place?

Speaking of Tustin for L-Tuned, their parts department is great (I got my L-Tuned springs/shocks there for a REALLY good price, and my suspension was the 2nd set they've sold) but their service department is junk. I was quoted 750 for installation (BS) and I said no way. Then I talked to a tech working at Tustin, he's a friend of my cousin. He was going to install my springs/shocks for 200, and make me a receipt so I get the warranty.

The service manager found out, called me and said I have to pay 700 dollars and nothing lower. I said why don't you shine those shocks real nice, turn them side ways and watch SmackDown to find out the rest of it. Then I hanged up.

But ya go to Longo
Old 06-27-01, 03:33 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Default warranty

I wanted to see what you guys' opinions on the issues of having dealer install the L-Tuned stuff (spring/shock).

Being that it's a new car, and I worry about the what ifs, my take on the issue is that from a dealer install (~400 to 700) compare to outside shop (~200), the difference is 200 to 500, and over 4 year new car warranty that I have on the car, that works out to be ~50 to ~100 per year extra, and that seems to be reasonable to pay for the peace of mind.

what do you think? am i just wasting money? should I not worry so much about L-Tuned stuff? being that it's a lexus, and L-Tuned is factory stuff?

Last edited by lex430; 06-27-01 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-27-01, 04:46 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Globe,

no, the blk gs in the garage belongs to their gen. mgr guy-Tom Rudnai, a very cool gentleman. i guess that is why he mad longo sooo popular and successful.
lex corp gives him a new gs4 every year as a demo and he always fixed up mildly w/good taste(his gs has borla+bbs wheels, 2pcs.) this is the kind of place where we would go for service so that they do not give you a bunch of BS about mods.

lex,

i have never see the warranty issue w/l-tunes in that perspective. but it is quite reasonable now that you put it that way. the diff is ~$250 minimum, so if you amortise over 4 years, it is pennies/day.

just go to perry if you feel more comfortable that way. plus you get to drink as many bottled h2o and soda as you want to make it worth your while.

will
Old 06-28-01, 01:17 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

gs4will,

thanks for the great info, I just talked to Perry from Longo, VERY professional and friendly on the phone, as well as helpful, gave me a great quote on the install labor, and has no problem at all if I buy the parts from somewhere else,

one thing he said is that the GS430 does NOT need the steering ECU, he said it's the same as the L-Tuned already! looks like i am selling mine!

anyways, thanks for the referral!

Quick Reply: Ltuned suspension setup problems