Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber adjustment for GS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 08:27 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Camber adjustment for GS!!

I went into an alignment shop yesterday to see about getting one on my car and mentioned that I was waiting for a camber kit to come out so I could adjust the camber and not have too much negative and eat my tires.
Their best alignment guy looked up the GS on his computer and showed me that they DO have some camber adjustment built into the suspension- both front AND rear! In fact he even had a computer video clip of a guy adjusting the camber adjustment bolts!
Maybe some of you knew this, but I was under the impression that there was NO camber adjustment of any kind.
The factory camber settings listed (at least for '98-00 GS4) was about 1/4 to 1/3 degree negative front, and about 3/4 degree negative rear. I will take mine in on Monday to see where it is sitting now and how close to factory settings we can get it with the stock adjustment capability.
May not need a kit after all...
Old 01-28-04, 10:11 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you are confusing camber adjustment with camber kit.

Yes....generally all vehicles allow for camber adjustments....but not all cars have a camber kit available (ie: our GS').

My alignment guy adjusted my camber to the max after my drop....and its still a bit off from spec. That's why you need the camber kit....to get it within spec.

You are right...if your alignment guy can get your camber within spec....you will be one of the lucky ones.

Pete
Old 01-28-04, 10:52 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by PHML
I think you are confusing camber adjustment with camber kit.
Old 01-28-04, 11:31 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drop the GS between 1 - 1.4", there's a good chance that a good alignment shop can bring it back to spec. But if you drop more than that, you'll need a camber kit to reduce the negative camber.
Old 01-28-04, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you are confused. the gs has camber settings, and it can be adjusted. it's very clear once you jacked up the car, on the lower control arm. however it's not too flexible, and if you are lowered, chances are even if the settings are maxed out, you are still out of spec. that's why you need camber kit. camber kit is there not to "enable" camber adjustment, but it's there to allow MORE camber adjustment than the stock
The following users liked this post:
samsonn25 (09-24-19)
Old 01-28-04, 02:14 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, I really do understand the difference between a camber kit and camber adjustment (I have been modding cars- including suspension -for decades )
I was, however, under the impression based on many of the threads here on CL that the GS did not have camber adjustment available on the suspension components! I thought that sounded strange-but based on all the talk about excessive negative camber and kits etc. it seemed to be the case. I should have realized that Lexus would not design a suspension without some way to accomodate camber adjustment.
Anyway, I think I will be OK with the stock adjustment getting me within (or at least near) the factory specs. With no tire rotation available, I am hoping I can get pretty close (those Goodyears are EXPEN$IVE!)
Thanks for not flaming me for my misconception!
Old 01-28-04, 06:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well you can get pretty close. on my 19s and i dropped it to 1 finger gap, i was out of spec by only .1 degrees or so. so there you go. but keep in mind though, within spec doesn't mean it will be even wear

come to think about it, i need to do alignment.... i havent' done it after i got 20s
Old 01-28-04, 10:00 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

My car is lower by 1.5 inches and if I can get close to spec and make sure the toe setting is right on-I'll call it good enough I think. Can't see spending money on a camber kit install just to gain a few tenths of a degree more although some times that's all it takes to wear tires quicker. I'll find out on Mon. or Tue. how far off I am and take it from there. I have always faithfully rotated my tires every 5k miles and that has helped on past cars, but that is not an option now so...I did see where Daizen is supposed to have their camber kit ready by May.

Originally posted by rominl
well you can get pretty close. on my 19s and i dropped it to 1 finger gap, i was out of spec by only .1 degrees or so. so there you go. but keep in mind though, within spec doesn't mean it will be even wear

come to think about it, i need to do alignment.... i havent' done it after i got 20s

Last edited by FutureGS400; 01-28-04 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-28-04, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well just keep in mind even if the car is within spec, tha doesn't mean the wear would be even. i guarantee you, if your car is at the most negative within spec value, you will have more inside wear
Old 08-24-04, 01:30 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I installed my Eibach/Bilstein combo myself.....so, I guess that means, I should bring it to a good alignment shop to put it back in spec right?

I did notice that there's a rear camber adjustment ****. When I was tightening the lower control arm of the rears, I noticed that there's a plate (a washer type of thing with hash marks on it). I remember saying to myself "ah crap, I didn't check to see its position before taking off the bolt.....now, how am I supposed to know how much camber is right?"

So, all I did was just guessed and put tightened the bolt back on.

For the front, I don't recall a seeing a camber adjustment bolt. Maybe I didn't have to touch it when I installed the struts/springs????

I checked the owner's manual. I didn't catch where it tells you what the proper specs for camber is. Where do you guys get this type of info?

Now, what the hell are toe & caster adjustments?

Last edited by Cadd; 08-24-04 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 01:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Cadd
I installed my Eibach/Bilstein combo myself.....so, I guess that means, I should bring it to a good alignment shop to put it back in spec right?

I did notice that there's a rear camber adjustment ****. When I was tightening the lower control arm of the rears, I noticed that there's a plate (a washer type of thing with hash marks on it). I remember saying to myself "ah crap, I didn't check to see its position before taking off the bolt.....now, how am I supposed to know how much camber is right?"

So, all I did was just guessed and put tightened the bolt back on.

For the front, I don't recall a seeing a camber adjustment bolt. Maybe I didn't have to touch it when I installed the struts/springs????

I checked the owner's manual. I didn't catch where it tells you what the proper specs for camber is. Where do you guys get this type of info?

Now, what the hell are toe & caster adjustments?
yeah you should definitely get it aligned. there is camber and toe alignment for both fron and back i believe. caster is the only thing you can't adjust on the gs i think.