Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Owner, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 06:25 AM
Thal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner, got some questions

I recently purchased a gs430, and while I enjoy almost everything about it, there is one thing I hope I can fix. To me, it seems the stock GS has a bit too much body roll during turns, and it almost seems floaty at highway speeds. From what I have seen, changing out the sway bars would be the best place to start. I have been browsing through previous threads, and it seems to me that daizens seem to be the consensus for those that want improved handling, but not a full blown race setup.

Here is some background that may help. I live in the Chicago suburbs, drive about 100 miles a day on a combo highway, interstate route. My previous car was a 97 Thunderbird with the sport package. (thicker sway bar, polyurathane bushings instead of rubber, slightly firmer shocks/springs, 225/60 16's from factory). This car was comprable to the SuperCoupe in handling, and I loved it. It was surefooted, cornered on rails, had a firm, but not stiff or punishing ride, with good road feel. The BMW 3 series was the other car I was seriously considering when I deciding on a car. While it had the ride I was looking for, the size was just a bit small for my liking, and factoring in the cost to maintain and reliability concerns going with the price, I decided on the GS.

I am currently running Mich. MXV4's (16s) for winter use, and will put the stock 17s back on in the spring. When they wear out, I will be putting Mich. Pilot A/S tires, and switch to true snows for winter.

While I do not want to lower the car, if I need to replace the springs, the max drop I will be able to tolerate is about 1-1.5 inches. (to much lower and my knees hurt too much getting in and out of the car).

The goal is to lose most of the body roll, and floaty feeling in the car. From what I have read, one path would be daizens, Toms Rear link set, and a front STB (I need my trunk too much to install a rear STB unless it has only a slight reduction in trunkspace. A bar in the middle of the trunk is not really doable for me.) Would a rear chasis brace be a good sub, or would it diminish the ride quality too much?

Any help/advice is appreciated, and if you need any more information, just ask.

Thal
2004 Blue Marlin GS 430, currently stock

EDIT: I need the car to remain comfortable for distance driving since my back was injured in the accident that totaled the T'Bird (rear ended), and it needs to be able to continue to handle Chicago winters/roads.

Last edited by Thal; 01-20-04 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-20-04, 06:52 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

imo

do the ltuned shocks/springs , almost oem comfort spring rate is 25% stiffer then stock , will lower about 11/4 in in front and just under 1 in in rear but very comfy ride

as far as sways , the daizens will give you equal to or a tad better cornering and lane changing vs the trd blues . the trd are greta heavy stiff stuff just too stiff for real world road conditions , not very compliant under road irreg so therefore would hamper perf instead of enhance.. on the track with all the other bracing they are great but thats what they were designed for

the Daizens on the other hand were designed to maintain comfort while working with the susp setup in harmony to acheive the objective which is flat cornering.. they use polyurethene bushings which offer maxium deflection as opposed to hard rubber which will not offer amx deflection so they rely more on the bars design or stiffer design to do the job

i have all the other bracing and 19in stagg setup with daizens and my ride is comfortable , sporty not stiff or jarring but firm and well balanced on controlled in fact abit too comfortable for the way i drive so i am getting ready to swap out my ltuned setup for bilsteins pss coilover set up and then my susp setup will be complete to handle anything at any speed
Old 01-21-04, 01:01 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Medium upgrade and keeping stock like ride- L-tuned shocks and springs with Dazens Sway

Best uprgade -slightly firmer ride - adjustable Coilovers i.e TEINS, with TRD blue race sways

Possible additions: Tom's rear STB, front STB, LCB, and rear chassis brace, 6 piece links. Let's not foget the L-tuned Steering ECU upgrade....which will firm up the steering.

I felt the same way when I bought my car. Honestly, i was very concerned about keeping the stock ride. But the body roll was just too much for me. I went the best uprade route with all possible additions....and I am quite happy. Car feels safer and sticks to the roads like glue.