Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pads and Rotor Recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-01, 05:16 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what and where to get aftermarket brakepads for the GS400? Are there slotted rotors that are direct replacement for the stock rotors? Is it worth it to replace the stock rotors with aftermarket slotted or drilled ones? Thanks for any info.

Brent
Old 03-30-01, 05:28 PM
dzman
Driver School Candidate

www.gtautosports.com has a good selection of brake items.

My opinion is that unless you are going to road race stock rotors are fine. When you change rotors you also need to think about:

ABS impact
caliper change
adequacy of stock master cylinder
upgrading lines to stainless

I would try better pads first and see if you notice any difference.

DZMAN
Old 03-30-01, 05:29 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Brake Rotors

Brent - Call Muhammad @ Swift - he can get ya some slotted/cross-drilled factory sized rotors that R direct replacements for the factory ones. I wanted one of the numerous brake upgrades available but none would fit behind my already-purchased 18" Zenettis so I just went for the cosmetic effect. Not improved braking that I've noticed nor any shorter stoppages measured with my G-Tech. Might check with Steve Ganz ( gonzo4u@earthlink.net ) at Carson Toyota about some improved brake pads but I just put on some pads from RMM & installed their stainless steel brake lines in lieu of the complete upgrade which, as I said, wouldn't fit .
Old 03-30-01, 05:36 PM
gs4power
Driver

Default TRD Metallic pads

Hi Brent,

I have the TRD Japan metallic front brake pads. The stopping power of the stock brakes increased dramatically, I would recommend them if you wan't more confidence inspiring braking. However, brake dust is horrible and in my case, the pads make a tiny bit of rubbing noise after releasing the brakes when cold (after the discs heat up the noise disappears). Also, the TRD's lack the pad wear indicators, but that's not a problem if you make regular visual inspections. In spite of the downsides I'm very happy with the TRD pads. I got them from David at GT Autosports. David can also find you OEM replacement slotted discs.

Old 03-30-01, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: Brake Rotors

Originally posted by Mean Gene
... I just put on some pads from RMM & installed their stainless steel brake lines ...
Did you notice any difference in brake feel going to the stainless steel brake lines? One of the only things I dislike about the GS is the stock brake feel (mushy).

Old 03-30-01, 07:22 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Seems Firmer

Bit - Now that U mention it, the pedal feel did firm up somewhat. Guess it's because of the improved integrity of the S/S lines over the factory composite ones.
Old 03-31-01, 02:07 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: TRD Metallic pads

Originally posted by gs4power
Hi Brent,

I have the TRD Japan metallic front brake pads. The stopping power of the stock brakes increased dramatically, I would recommend them if you wan't more confidence inspiring braking. However, brake dust is horrible and in my case, the pads make a tiny bit of rubbing noise after releasing the brakes when cold (after the discs heat up the noise disappears). Also, the TRD's lack the pad wear indicators, but that's not a problem if you make regular visual inspections. In spite of the downsides I'm very happy with the TRD pads. I got them from David at GT Autosports. David can also find you OEM replacement slotted discs.

Does the TRD pads kill the rotor fast? I'm considering those but don't want to have to replace my rotors this early.
Old 03-31-01, 07:29 AM
gs4power
Driver

Default Rotors

Globe,

The higher friction will inevitably wear the rotors faster. But in my case, the wear has been negligible (visually speaking). Don't worry, the stock rotors are pretty thick, there's plenty of cast-iron to wear off!
Old 03-31-01, 10:34 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rotors

Globe,

The higher friction will inevitably wear the rotors faster. But in my case, the wear has been negligible (visually speaking). Don't worry, the stock rotors are pretty thick, there's plenty of cast-iron to wear off!

hhaaha cool then, thanks alot.
Old 03-31-01, 08:06 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Default Endless

I'm currently using Endless (type NA-Y) brake pad with stock rotor. The initial response is a lot better. Since I don't race, NA-Y is good enough for me. Check the link below.

http://www.endlessusa.com/pads/pads.html
Old 03-31-01, 11:16 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Question how much and where; MGS4

would you kindly tell me where did you buy your endless break pads?

thanks
Old 04-01-01, 10:52 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: AP Brakes

I have the TRD Japan metallic front brake pads. The stopping power of the stock brakes increased dramatically, I would recommend them if you wan't more confidence inspiring braking.

Miguel, I thought you were getting AP Racing brakes? What happened?
Old 04-01-01, 02:48 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: how much and where; MGS4

Originally posted by gs4will
would you kindly tell me where did you buy your endless break pads?

thanks
I live in Vancouver and I got the (NA-Y) pads from local performance shop. They're $150 CAD (around $120 USD) for the front set and about the same price for the rear. The cheapest pads Endless offers is VITA Nuova. Cost $130 CAD for a set of either front or rear.
Old 04-01-01, 04:41 PM
gs4power
Driver

Default AP Brakes

Calvin,

I've had the TRD pads for more than a year, I got them as a step-up before getting the APs.

The thing is, I'm ready to buy the AP brakes, but David is not responding to my emails and fax, three weeks running. I'm starting to get worried, since David has always responded promptly to my messages. What happened to David??!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-01, 06:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: AP Brakes

gs4power - how do you like your Toyos? Can you describe the ride, sound, handling, diff. from stock, etc.? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Brake pads and Rotor Recommendations...