Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help- Slotted Rotors EBC Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-04, 10:43 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help- Slotted Rotors EBC Pads

I have the slotted rotors and the ebc pads that Steve sold in a group buy about a year and a half ago. I have had them on for about 6 months now. When i first put them on, they made a wierd sound when I applied the brake, but braking was still smooth. Now when I brake, I get alot of feedback in the brake pedal. In the morning, when I first drive the car, braking is smooth. After the car warms up a bit, the feedback in the pedal gets worse. If I am going really fast on the freeway and half to brake hard, my steering wheel shakes. In the afternoon when coming home from work, when I brake to stop at a light, it feels like the rotors are grabbing, then letting go, then grabbing...and so forth. This would make me believe that the rotors are warped, but in the morning, it doesn't do this.

Oh yeah, when I brake, my brakes makes a loud flapping noise like when you put a baseball card in your spokes.

Is all this normal. The mechanic who installed them said that it might be because of the pads and I should try different ones. There are many people on this board running the same setup, have any of you had an issues like this. At first it was bearable, now I HAVE to get this fixed. It is really bugging me.

I was thinking of buy some bendex today, but then I thought, EBC pads should be better quality.

Last edited by mcgong; 01-09-04 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-09-04, 12:09 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Cong.
I had the same setup you were running as well. Had the ebc pads with the slotted rotors. I also experienced the same noise that you were referring too. I thought this was normal at first since this was my first brake upgrade. I kept on driving with them.....because the stock brake mushiness did go away, but under cold start and hard braking the noise was evident in the form of shaking. After a high speed encounter w/ my friends mustang GT on the NJ parkway I decided to change my setup because it was just too damm risky to run it like this. I have the SS brake lines as well.

Anyway, I got rid of this set up and got the ROTORA slotted rotors with the AXISS ulimate brake pads. Still kept the SS brake lines. I spoke to someone over at Rotora and this is the best setup you can get if you are not going the way of a big brake upgrade which they also offer.
Steve was doing a deal on this for cheap a while back but that wasn't really advertised. If I am correct, I think I am the only one on CL with the rotora slotted rotors with the e-coated hubs and the axiss ultimate brake pads.
My reviews.......One word "wow"
This is how I envisioned the braking setup for my car. No noise, no vibrations and most of all very quiet. The brakes are even more responsive and sensitive than before and feels like they stop the car in much shorter distances. Rotora makes a damm good product and is very evident when you see there stuff. The rotors are beautiful looking and machined to perfection.
The axiss pads are better than the EBC IMHO. The axiss pads are metal based vs the EBC which is not.

Another thing that you must keep in mind is with any new brake upgrade ....the most important thing you can do is the break them in for 1000 miles. No hard braking, gently braking so the rotors wear in correctly. If you dont do this....you will end up with hot spots and warpage on the rotors which will also cause what you were experiencing earlier.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-10-04, 10:44 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drew, I just sent you a pm. Thanks.
Old 01-16-04, 12:49 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went the same way as DrewGS4 as well. The EBC pads with the x-drilled/slotted rotors seemed to warp very quickly...only got about 12,000 miles out of them (and that's with re-surfacing the rotors once). I spoke to Steve about it, and it appears that you give up some longevity for stopping performance.
As for the Rotora/Axiss set-up...it's a definite thumbs up. As DrewGS4 said...much quieter and performs very well. I am sold on this set-up.
Old 01-19-04, 08:04 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the Axxis Ultimated together with standard rotors.
And yes, the pads have very good stopping power.

However, if you want to keep clean wheels, then you should not consider the Ultimates. These pads really now how to generate dust! One of my friends asked me if I had gun metal rims.

Also life of these pads is moderate.