Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein FLex...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 05:32 PM
bLingIn3o0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein FLex Vs. CS...

Just out of curiousity, why are there so many people, like 3, selling their Tein Flex Coilovers after a short time after purchasing... Read some threads about noise ... Is this an issue for the Flex ? I cant seem to get my hands on the Tein CS so I was going to try the Flex but all these recent sales of Flex is making me rethink this and just wait for the CS... I've got some info about the coilovers, but has anyone "FELT" both coilovers ??? Which would be better for a daily driver with pothoLes everywhere and uneven roads.... with 19's people so drive is harsher regardless of Flex or CS but which would be easier on the rims and those in the cabin of perfection....

....I KNOW THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED SOMEWHERE SOMETIME BEFORE, SO SORRY 4 THE FLASHBACK & REPITITION.....

Last edited by bLingIn3o0; 01-07-04 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well i have had flex for over 1/2 yr and i can tell you i don't have any noise on my car at all it's funny coz' i always see these coilover sales like waves. i remember a while ago i saw a lot of tein HA posts too but there isn't anything wrong with it imho. i love my flex
Old 01-07-04, 11:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I am one of the ones selling my Flex. I cannot speak for the others but I love my Flex. It helps make the car handle like a dream. ( I also have a bunch of bracing, but I digress. ) Also, it is the only Tein coilover (of the street ones that are popular) that you can adjust the height and spring preload independently.

The only reason I am changing it is to appease my wife. (She did not ask me to, though. This is my way of doing something nice for her.) When we go places, I like to take my car. I love driving my car. She, however, is hesitant since the ride has changed. She also goes out of her way also to not drive the car (maybe that's a good thing ) but that is mostly because of the clearance issues. She is used to taking her SUV anywhere without having to worry about potholes, steep driveways, parking bumps, driving bumps, ...

Still, I'd like to be able to enjoy my car regardless of whether my family is in it or not. Therefore, I am trying to fix this situation.

I think that everyone's opinion of ride quality is different. A ride could be soft for one person and harsh for another. I have not had the Flex on by itself so I cannot speak to how it feels on its own. I have upper (STBs) and lower braces (sways, LCBs, 6-link) so all that adds to the "tightening" of the car. Most ride issues only come up when going over bumpy roads. Obviously on nice roads, the car will be smooth. I have driven with the car in the softest setting and I did not like it. It was too soft/cushy/bouncy for my taste. This is the setting when the family is in the car. It is still not enough for her. I am switching out for the ability to go even softer. Of course, I will not be driving at that soft position when I am by myself.

The only person who will know your tolerances is you. If you come from driving cars with sport suspensions and like that, the Flex at the lower settings could be too soft for you. Who knows? The best thing to do is to gather info (like you are doing now) and then try to find local members to see if you can get a ride in their car. The latter is the real eye opener of what your tolerances are.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-04, 08:22 AM
bLingIn3o0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks .. I've only been in a GS with the Bilstein PSS coilovers and at the time, my friend had his 16's on instead 19's. And to my amazement, it felt great but that was due to the 16's... But thanks for the input, and hope others can give me some more of their perspective....
Old 01-11-04, 12:28 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

See my other thread. I miss my Flex's already. Noise is an issue if you keep the ride height high as the threads remaining in the tube is less and this allows more play. However if you plan of lowering your car as most that purchase coilovers do anyhow, then this is no issue.