Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

need some help w/ECU install...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 06:51 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question need some help w/ECU install...

whats up guys? i just ordered the l-tuned ECU and got it today... i was wondering if this is a DIY or should i take it to the dealer? is this simple plug and play as it looks or is there any programming that i need to know about?? also, where is the ECU?? if anyone that has done this can help me out and maybe post some pics, i would appreciate it... thanks!!!
Old 01-06-04, 08:34 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have installation instructions with the part...look in the box. Make sure to mark the new part with an "L" or something because you won't be able to distinguish the Ltuned from stock...you'll see what I mean. Don't worry if you don't have instructions because you only need to remove the bottom panel under the steering column...remove 2 phillips head screws, release clip in front and slide panel off tab near firewall. With your head down by the pedals you can easily look upwards and using a flashlight you will find the ECU under the instrument panel and towards the driver side door. Disconnect wire cable. Use a 10mm socket to remove the 1 bolt or I've read here where someone slid the ECU off the holding bracket. Reverse to put Ltuned ECU on....30 minutes max. Good luck.

Last edited by bmgs400; 01-06-04 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 10:01 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Default ??

"remove 2 screws a slide panel off tab near firewall"

can anyone elaborate on what is meant by this??... im not exactly sure what is being described or where... any help is appreciated.
Old 01-06-04, 10:14 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=102597
Old 01-06-04, 10:23 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Default Re: ??

Originally posted by varcity64

can anyone elaborate on what is meant by this??... im not exactly sure what is being described or where... any help is appreciated.
That should be "remove the 2 phillips head screws from the access panel below the steering column. Then release the clip and pull the panel down (clip is located on the panel edge under steering column). A metal tab holds the panel near the firewall.

Last edited by bmgs400; 01-06-04 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 02:52 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Don't worry. I was a bit intimidated at first, but a little patience will get you through it. If you follow the included instructions, there's no need to spend $$ on labor charges. I think there was one error in the instructions: they reference a 6mm bolt, when it's actually 10mm (if i recall correctly). The hardest part was screwing the ECU back into place; my hand got a bit scratched up digging through the wires and metal.
Old 01-09-04, 09:06 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Arrow Re: ??

As someone who just recently completed this, I have a couple of words of advice FWIW:

1. Don't expect a dramatic change in your steering feel! Be glad if you notice anything at all !

2 Here is a link to a thread that might be of some help to you :https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=102597

3. I didn't have to deal with any tab near the firewall on my car as much as the hidden clip that is not mentioned in the written intstructions that is directly below the steering column inside the panel. You MAY see a slight indentation on the panel where the clip is- I just gently slipped a small, thin screwdriver in and was able to release the clip. Once you do that (assuming you have already removed the Phillips head screws and visible clip, the panel should come off easily.

4. The FUN part is trying to find the right combo of extensions and flex joint/socket to reach the 10 mm bolt. I used a loooong extension and was able to reach it going throught the emergency brake release handle opening. Once you find the ECU and mounting bolt, you'll see what I mean. It can be reached that way if your extension and socket will fit through that opening. Mine did...

5. As mentioned by others, it's kind of tough getting the mounting bolt started again if (like me) you have large hands because it's pretty tight in there!

Don't mean to make this sound like a really difficult thing, just kind of a PITA to do for the (IMO) minimal results. Hope it goes OK for you!

Last edited by FutureGS400; 01-09-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-09-04, 09:34 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

varcity64,

So were you able to get it installed?
Old 01-09-04, 12:17 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Default thanks to all...

i just want to say thank you to everyone who has chimed in to help me out... i honestly love this forum and everyone here is GREAT. i love how everyone tries to help each other out, its just amazing. and NEO, as for the install... i ordered the part last week and didnt get it until tuesday. the problem is that i got back surgery on wed. morning and im unable to do anything for a little while (2-3 weeks). but i have this link saved and i feel that with everyone's help, i will be able to do this w/no problem when the time is right... THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!!!!
Old 01-09-04, 12:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Default Re: thanks to all...

i just want to say thank you to everyone who has chimed in to help me out... i honestly love this forum and everyone here is GREAT. i love how everyone tries to help each other out, its just amazing. and NEO, as for the install... i ordered the part last week and didnt get it until tuesday. the problem is that i got back surgery on wed. morning and im unable to do anything for a little while (2-3 weeks). but i have this link saved and i feel that with everyone's help, i will be able to do this w/no problem when the time is right... THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!!!!
Good luck with your back surgery! If you've got that coming, definitely don't try to crawl around and do this.
Old 01-09-04, 09:30 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Amen to that!

Yeah, this is one mod you DON'T want to try with any back problems! Lots of lying on the floor of your car looking underneath the dash etc...
Best wishes on your surgery! Let us know when you get it installed and what you think.