Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

just installed my trd sways WOW

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-04, 03:53 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed my trd sways WOW

i just installed my trd sways what a big difference i think the suspension mod bug has got me too. the only problem im having right now is that when i hit speedbumps i hear a sqeak rattling sound does anyone else have this problem? i put grease on the bushings so i dont know whats wrong any input guys? im just curious what does the lower suspension brace do for our cars?
Old 01-05-04, 04:17 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Never got squeaks from sways, and I have put them on and off a lot. About the only thing to check on the sways is to make sure that the bolts holding the front "intermediate" bracket are tight. My 2001, and others, have had problems with this bracket being loose from the factory (my wife's 2003 was fine). If you look at the bracket for the front bar attach (the one actually around the bushings around the bar), you will notice that it is actually bolted to another bracket. There are four bolts holding that bracket to the body and those are the ones that can be loose. If they are fine, it is probably something else making the noise.
Old 01-05-04, 08:29 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

could it be the joints u bolt on the sides?
Old 01-06-04, 02:15 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Squeak on sway bars? Did you grease it good?? Did you torque the bolts that secures the bracket holding the bushing/sway bar? My Daizen sways require 18 ft/lbs (front) and 13 (rear). Maybe its too tight and not enough grease?
Old 01-06-04, 11:31 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by joshoowa
could it be the joints u bolt on the sides?
If you are talking about the links that attach the ends of the bar to the suspension, I doubt it. It is not a good idea to say "never" but the links are hard mounted at one end and have a permanently lubricated ball joint at the other. Of all the things that would squeak, I wouldn't figure this would be it. The Daizen reverse the rear link which might generate something but I just can't see it. Did you do any other mods at the same time? The only real squeak I got was when I switched shocks. Everything was fine for several weeks, then a squeak that was definitely from the springs. I was going to take the car in to have it looked but the squeak went away after a few weeks. That was almost two and a half years ago and no return of a squeak.

To play detective you now have to figure does the squeak only happen when one side moves or both? Is it from front or rear? I have put on TRD Race, Daizen, and TRD Sportivo and never got a squeak from any of them on my 2k1 GS430. Good luck.
Old 01-06-04, 11:53 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

well all i know is that the fronts make the noise. my car is going under the operating table as soon as it gets warm its too cold now to do anything.
Old 01-06-04, 11:58 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PHML
Did you grease it good??
well the grease was pushing out when i tightened the bolts.

Did you torque the bolts that secures the bracket holding the bushing/sway bar?
are u talking about the bolts that are behind the mount? *if you are under the body it would be above the mount* then no. im kind of confused here if there is a bolt behind the bracket how does it stay in place when you remove the screw to take off the original sways?

Last edited by joshoowa; 01-07-04 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 11:35 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by joshoowa
well the grease was pushing out when i tightened the bolts.

are u talking about the bolts that are behind the mount? *if you are under the body it would be above the mount* then no. im kind of confused here if there is a bolt behind the bracket how does it stay in place when you remove the screw to take off the original sways?
The TRDs in both flavors have rubber bushings and if you notice on automotive rubber bushings, there is a waxy feel to them. This is a mold release that is also a great lubricant, usually all that is used when they are installed. If you put some more grease in, which is a good idea, this is not a problem.

Not sure which ones are being referred to as "behind the mount" either. The sways are held to the chassis with the two straps, front and rear. The bolts I was refering to earlier are up above where the straps are. If you look at the mounting you will see that those bolts for attaching the straps are going into another piece that is actually bolted to the body higher up. On my dark blue GS430 it was difficult to see. On my wife's parchment GS3, you'd have to blind to not see them. And if you are blind I am all for you, but you should neither be replacing your sways nor driving the car.

PS, I hear ya on the waiting till it warms up.

Last edited by RON430; 01-07-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 12:05 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Glad you like them.

I actually noticed this as well when they were on my car.

BUT, I also hear the same noise with the Daizen sways so it is car specific.

It makes a metal on metal "clink" that sounds like light weight metal. It sounds like something is a little loose. I'm sure that it is not the brackets that mount the sway bars to the frame. It sounds more like the linkage to the suspension but I have no way of telling.

I hear it more when I hit a bump that affects both sides at the same time than a bump on one side.

This sound like what you hear man?

Late.

R

Last edited by AgGS400; 01-07-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 12:27 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GREASE GREASE and more GREASE the rubber bushings. Do this every 3k miles when you do the oil change. That is causing your squeaking problems.
Old 01-09-04, 12:36 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Had the TRD blues on for about 25K miles and I have had TRD Sportivo's on for about 3K miles. Lubed when they were put on and never lubed again - never a squeak. AgGS400 mentions a "clink" and in the original post, it was referred to as a "squeak rattle". Clinks or rattles will invariably mean metal to metal, not metal to rubber, wheter lubed or not. Metal to metal "clink" or tapping has to be something that has slop in it either from being loose or wear. Any of the brackets being loose could make a metal to metal clink. The end links are pretty much hard bolted, any looseness here could make a clink. Last thing would be a severely worn ball joint in the end link. There is only so much involved in the sways that can make any noise. After this, you are looking for something that is not from the sway. Might have come from something during the install, like the 1200 screws that have to be taken out and put back in on the under engine tray for the front bar, but it probably is not the bar hardware.
Old 01-09-04, 01:13 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron,
What is your review on the TRD sways vs the sportivo
Are they working out better, worse. How much lighter are they than the TRD sways?
Old 01-09-04, 01:34 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Have to go back and see if I weighed them but the Sportivo's are considerably lighter than the race sways. They definitely do not handle as flat as the blues but they are surprisingly good and they do give a bit smoother ride. If the most difficult corner you get to take is a freeway off ramp, they are quite good, paricularly if you are going to do something that will increase ride harshness, in my case I am leaving them on until I go to some slightly lower profile tires. If you are often in the twisties, the blues are the way to go.
Old 01-10-04, 11:53 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

uh the noise i hear is more like the sound you get when u jump up and down on a squeaky bed. all in all still waiting for weather to get warm. BTW houston has some messed up weather one day its cold next day its hot, its killer for me because we have exotic plants and i have to cover and uncover them like every other day. crap.
Old 01-10-04, 03:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

When I had the bilsteins put on, I got a funny spring related squeaky groan about a month later. Most pronounced when things like going over a speed bump. It cleared up before I could take it in to have it looked at.

Quick Reply: just installed my trd sways WOW