Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help with steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 04:55 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help with steering ECU

What is the deal with the stupid panel underneath the steering column?!? The instructions say to remove the two Phillips head screws and release the clip-all very obvious and easy. Instructions also refer to something near the firewall-which seems to make no sense at all. Unfortunately, the panel does NOT come off at all and I have been wrestling with it for 1/2 hour!! I can find nothing else to loosen or unsnap or anything so...WHAT'S THE SECRET?
Old 01-01-04, 05:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Use the search feature for 'steering ECU install' Took 30 seconds for a BUNCH of threads that answer your question. Here are just a couple of them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=62437

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...NG+ECU+INSTALL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...NG+ECU+INSTALL

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-01-04 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 05:17 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Here's a DIY/tutorial complete with pictures that I posted not too long ago...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=102597
Old 01-01-04, 05:18 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, those are some of the same threads I found when I used the search feature. I always do a search first. However, having now spent another 1/2 hour trying to find the specific info I need with no luck... The only thing I found was a vague reference to a "hidden clip". (Sure would have been nice if the L-Tuned instructions mentioned that).
Anyone know where this clip is located or how it might be released? I felt all over and am afraid of damaging the panel. Thanks!
Old 01-01-04, 05:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Sorry if I offended you, but you did not mention you had already searched in your initial thread and the ones I found seemed pretty explanatory. I know you're frustrated in trying to get that panel off!

Buyerts, excellent writeup as well, best I've seen... need to bookmark that one.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-01-04 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 05:24 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

No offense taken Dave, I'm just a bit "tense" after trying this late-in-the-day mod! I should have know better! You're right-I should have mentioned that I already searched.
Thanks BuyERTS for the thread-it didn't show up in my search and that is what I'm looking for!
Old 01-01-04, 06:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Future, if I remember from when I did it, the bottom trim just requires a bit of jiggling and a tug to get that hidden clip to 'pop'. Just manipulate it. You'll get it. If you don't, don't sweat it - since you're in CA there's probably a dozen people nearby that can help! HANG IN THERE!
Old 01-01-04, 10:30 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Thanks for the encouragement, Bit!
I swear I tugged and jiggled that thing and it wouldn't budge! I was paranoid about being to rough with it, so I thought I better check in with some of the "experts" here at CL! I'll try again tomorrow...
Old 01-02-04, 12:14 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you could just be removing the wrong screws. There are 2 inner screws almost right next to the ones you are supposed to remove and they remove an "inner panel" - something that's unnecessary when you are just removing the ECU.

The screws you want to remove are at the OUTMOST right and OUTMOST left of the bottom dash. Then there's a clip in the middle that pops open when u apply pressure. And right next to that clip is this mystery clip that you can just use your thumb and forefinger to press on (like how you would press velcro together) and pull. After that, the whole bottom panel should fall right off.

There's no fancy tugging or pulling required. After you do all the above steps, the whole thing should fall on your face (if you happen to be on your back looking up heheheh).

There's another trick I usually do when I am pulling apart something. For example, with the bottom dash, what I did is give it a good tug towards the direction of where it's supposed to open. You should see the plastic bottom flex a bit, showing exactly where the screws would mount. All you have to do is trace back the flexing to where the screws would be. Remove the screws, tug, remove some more, tug, all you have to do is keep following the flexing to the part where it's stuck. Chances are there's a screw or two somewhere there that you need to take out.

If you think steering ecu is hard, try installing a turbo timer!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-04, 03:03 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I am sure I got the right screws-it is this "hidden/mystery" clip (that somehow escaped the instruction writer at L-Tuned) that is the problem. I'll tackle it again later today I hope...

EDIT-
BTW, lest people think I am a complete klutz, I don't really think installing the steering ECU is "hard"- just wanted to check to see if I was missing something. As it turns out of course, I was! Pet peeve of mine: instructions that are inaccurate or incomplete (i.e. USELESS).

Last edited by FutureGS400; 01-02-04 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 05:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally posted by FutureGS400
BTW, lest people think I am a complete klutz, I don't really think installing the steering ECU is "hard"- just wanted to check to see if I was missing something. As it turns out of course, I was! Pet peeve of mine: instructions that are inaccurate or incomplete (i.e. USELESS).
So didja get it!?!?
Old 01-07-04, 08:12 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Yeah, did you get it?

If not: The clip to release the bottom panel is on the front edge of the panel, between the phillips head screws and roughtly directly under the steering column...remember look on the edge of the panel in the crease. To release the clip there is a small amount of material for you to grap with fingertips or pliers, then tug firmly to release the front side of the access panel (2 screw + tug on clip). The panel will want to hang in the front. Now the rear is just held by a small tab on panel that slides into a metal bracket near the firewall (side of the panel closet to the firewall)....just wiggle it off.

Yep, they screwed up on the 6mm callout.
Old 01-07-04, 10:06 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down Got it!

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah, the hidden clip was what was hanging me up on the panel. I just slid a small screwdriver into the area described and released the clip. Wish the instructions had "mentioned" that... Oh well!
I have to say that I'm not very impressed with this particular mod-just my opinion of course. Kind of a PITA to install and expensive for what you get. Personally, I don't really feel much (if any) difference in the steering at all. Wasn't too bad before, maybe a bit light at speed. I'll try to feel any differences on high speed curves when I get a chance but so far, I couldn't really recommend this mod to anyone.
If someone had installed it without telling me they did it, there's no way I would ever know! But of course, if you expect something to make a difference, you may notice something you wouldn't otherwise (placebo effect). I'm not saying others don't genuinely feel the difference, but I'll have to admit I haven't so far. Just my .02