Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Thoughts on Used Tein CS Coilovers

Old 12-29-03, 11:32 PM
JBFGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on Used Tein CS Coilovers

I was over at Lextasy.com and Steve has his 9 month old Tein CS coilovers for sale for 850 dollars so i was just wondering what you guys thought about this setup. I'm looking for a nice tight handling car without to much body roll and still keeping my nice smooth ride and being able to drop it when i get some 19's without that tremendous wheel gap. Now let me know if going with the CS coils is for me also how well does the EDFC work with this set of coils? Or if the Bilstien PSS coils or Tein Flex would be more for me. Also i can get Bilstiens PSS at cost which is well under 1000 but ive read they will only lower the car 1.8inches.

Thanks in advance
Justin Falla

PS: new to the GS car/site so bare with me.
Old 12-29-03, 11:41 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on Used Tein CS Coilovers

Originally posted by JBFGS300
I was over at Lextasy.com and Steve has his 9 month old Tein CS coilovers for sale for 850 dollars so i was just wondering what you guys thought about this setup. I'm looking for a nice tight handling car without to much body roll and still keeping my nice smooth ride and being able to drop it when i get some 19's without that tremendous wheel gap. Now let me know if going with the CS coils is for me also how well does the EDFC work with this set of coils? Or if the Bilstien PSS coils or Tein Flex would be more for me. Also i can get Bilstiens PSS at cost which is well under 1000 but ive read they will only lower the car 1.8inches.

Thanks in advance
Justin Falla

PS: new to the GS car/site so bare with me.
Let me piece apart what you have said and hit each point as best I can.

It seems you know the guy at Lexstasy.com personally, but around here he has been cited for shady business through his site multiple times. Be careful.

A nice tight handling car with a smooth ride is possible. Coilovers are a good place to start. The Tein CS are the most comfortable out of the coilover options you mentioned, and out of all coilovers, are near the top for comfort and drop ability. The Flex would offer a more substantial drop but much more road feel, while the Bilstein PSS would be slightly more rough then the CS but with a drop of only 1.8, as you said, compared to the CS with 2.0 or slightly more.

Expanding on the idea of tight handling with little body roll and almost no ride change, your best choice would be the Daizen Sway Bars. They are adjustable and keep a stock-like feel while eliminating 90% of the body roll. I may be getting ahead of the issue, but just thought I'd add some for your thought. They retail for $500.00

-Anthony

Last edited by Captain Bone; 12-30-03 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-30-03, 12:08 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

nothing against the used ones/or teins, i would consider the PSS for $899 shipped...or..new teins CS for few hundred more..just mho
Old 12-30-03, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok couple of issues here

1) buying from steve of lextasy would be the last thing i do in my life. better yet, i probably would choose to stop modding my cars before i consider buying from him. there have been so many stories about his shaddy business and how bad his service is including faulty items.

2) yes you can get good rides with performance. for sure you won't get the best performance but you can get a very good comprimise between ride and handling. the stock handling is so bad, a lot of tsuff would help already. and if you want to get the best ride and the best handling possible (balance), coilvoers for sure, and i think the CS and the Flex are some of the best

3) i would get CS over the PSS. PSS doesnt' lower the car enough for me at all. i have seen it cranked all the way and i still see gap. my flex i am down to 1/2 finger and it still has plenty of coils left. yes the PSS has lifetime warranty, but that doesn't bother me, considering that i wont' have to service my teins for at least 50 to 60k miles unless i abuse it
Old 12-30-03, 01:36 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on Used Tein CS Coilovers

I'm looking for a nice tight handling car without to much body roll and still keeping my nice smooth ride
There are always compromises to be made here. With the CS, you will be able to keep some of the "stock, smooth" ride but not all. You just can't get better handling without giving up something. Just how tight you want the car or how smooth you want to keep it really is a personal thing. Everyone has different breaking points. Just food for thought.
Old 12-30-03, 08:03 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mayb its just me but i'd rather pay a couple hundred more and get the set new than 2 take a chance with a almost year old used set, u never know what the prior owner did or how he drove or even if the shop he had them put in by knew what they were doing. too many things 2 worry about 4 me..the cs's new r like 12 or 1300 new from carson, and u'll get a warranty when pusrchased new so that peace of mind 4 me i guess...good luck anyway u go..
Old 12-30-03, 09:29 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rom, your funny man, just stop modding your car altogether eh?? LOL

Justin, I dont think I would deal with that guy Steve unless I could physically SEE the product before I purchased it, I think a member here bought his Lowenharts so you never know, I just dont know how comfortable I would be!! Good luck!
Old 12-30-03, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Rom, your funny man, just stop modding your car altogether eh?? LOL

Justin, I dont think I would deal with that guy Steve unless I could physically SEE the product before I purchased it, I think a member here bought his Lowenharts so you never know, I just dont know how comfortable I would be!! Good luck!
haha yeah i know i was extreme but sorry that's how i really feel
Old 12-30-03, 04:12 PM
JBFGS300
Driver

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for the heads up on the products i didnt realize that you could buy the CS Teins for just a few hundred more new with a warranty so if i decided to go that way i will just buy new. But it looks as though i will go with the PSS Coils since i can buy them at cost my friend whom owns a body shop cant get the Teins so there out for a good deal and when i can get the PSS's for 700-800 almost half the price of Tiens my mind is made up i think the 1.8 drop will work plus i cant really slam my car with the roads around here. Also do you think the 1.8 drop will look good enough with a set of 19x8.5s up front and 19x10s in the rear? I also want to know who to buy parts off of if Lextasy isnt the place to do so. I would like to get some clear bumper markers good ones not crap ones, and a stock style rear spoiler that wont need a body shop to make it look like it should before it gets painted let me know i def want to get the mods rolling!

Thanks
Justin Falla

In response to Captain Bone:
Where can i pick up a set of Daizen Sway Bars for 500 is that front and rear?
Old 12-30-03, 04:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Thanks Guys

Thanks for the heads up on the products i didnt realize that you could buy the CS Teins for just a few hundred more new with a warranty so if i decided to go that way i will just buy new. But it looks as though i will go with the PSS Coils since i can buy them at cost my friend whom owns a body shop cant get the Teins so there out for a good deal and when i can get the PSS's for 700-800 almost half the price of Tiens my mind is made up i think the 1.8 drop will work plus i cant really slam my car with the roads around here. Also do you think the 1.8 drop will look good enough with a set of 19x8.5s up front and 19x10s in the rear? I also want to know who to buy parts off of if Lextasy isnt the place to do so. I would like to get some clear bumper markers good ones not crap ones, and a stock style rear spoiler that wont need a body shop to make it look like it should before it gets painted let me know i def want to get the mods rolling!

Thanks
Justin Falla

In response to Captain Bone:
Where can i pick up a set of Daizen Sway Bars for 500 is that front and rear?
well from what i know all clear side markers are chessy taiwan stuff and they all got moisture when rainy days, no biggie imho, i am living with it. they are usually around 30 bucks i suppose?

about the drop it's up to you. for me it's not enough, i have more than 2" drop, but to each his own. and of course, road conditions matters

daizen sways, contact todd of tmengineering.net and he can get you, 499 front and back. awesome stuff

and about where to get other parts, we got tons of places to get stuff from. try carson toyota, they are a good start. steve (supratrd on this forum) is the man