Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hard Bumpy Ride (What gives)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 06:32 AM
tarq3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Bumpy Ride (What gives)

Ok guys I have a 93 Sc400 with 218k. Still pulls very very strong (Knock on wood that it will continue). Here is my issue my car seemed to start riding hard. I would notice and feel every bump in the road. So I replaced my bushings with some Daizen sport bushings and also put some Tockico sport struts on. Well it seemed cool for a while but now I am back to feeling every bump. It is so bad then when I ride over the little reflectors in the road it hit so hard the CD skips. This is crazy, I just replaced all this stuff just 3-4 months ago. Any ideas what to do guys??????, is the suspension computer controlled at all. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 12-17-03, 06:42 AM
aasc300
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maybe tires

What type of tires are you running (brand, size, etc...) I have the Daizen bushings in my 92 sc300
with tokico blue struts and eibach springs. Running a Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR 245/35/zr20
tire and I can definately feel the reflectors in the road. Give me a little more info and I will try to help out any
way I can.
Old 12-17-03, 06:46 AM
tarq3
Driver

Default Re: Maybe tires

Originally posted by aasc300
What type of tires are you running (brand, size, etc...) I have the Daizen bushings in my 92 sc300
with tokico blue struts and eibach springs. Running a Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR 245/35/zr20
tire and I can definately feel the reflectors in the road. Give me a little more info and I will try to help out any
way I can.

I have Yokohama's i think 225/55 16 inch. Strange thing is these are the same type of tires i have used for years. That is why i am wonder if it is something mechannical. I wonder if the struts need adjusting
Old 12-17-03, 07:01 AM
aasc300
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think the struts really have any form of adjustment (at least mine dont). When you replace the upper control arm bushings with urethane bushings, you are going to feel 100% more of the irregularities in the road.
Old 12-17-03, 07:21 AM
tarq3
Driver

I dont think the struts really have any form of adjustment (at least mine dont). When you replace the upper control arm bushings with urethane bushings, you are going to feel 100% more of the irregularities in the road.

Damn that sucks on the bushings. I was thinking i was getting better equipment. Damn might have been better staying stock and keep my smooth ride
Old 12-17-03, 07:28 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes this is true...it sucks but it is true... im going to keep my TM Engineering bushings...until they start squeaking then im gonna spring for the new upper control arms...

CEO
Old 12-17-03, 07:39 AM
tarq3
Driver

damn this is piSSing me oFF. I swear that was a waste of money. I am two steps from getting some OEM arms and droppoing them n
Old 12-17-03, 07:23 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I have everything stock and still feel everything on the road. Compared to the Accord especially it is really hard. I guess the SCs are supposed to be little more harsher. No?

Ed
Old 12-18-03, 08:31 AM
tarq3
Driver

Anybody know what Supra bushings and control arms people put on there SC's??????
Old 12-19-03, 08:04 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

i think alot of people have both the TT and the N/A..set ups on the SC.

CEO
Old 12-19-03, 09:23 AM
tarq3
Driver

anybody know were to get some stock bushings or just some control arms with stock bushings. Because i can't take this Daizen crap. Damn car rides so hard i am starting to hear rattles from the car because it is hitting bumps so hard and stuff is shaking loose. I want front and rear. thanks for any help
Old 12-19-03, 01:36 PM
tarq3
Driver

Does anyboy know how the Supra control arms and bushings ride. Is it a comfortable ride like the stock lexus ones or is it a sporty stiff ride.
Old 12-19-03, 09:52 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

I'd have the say the Daizen bushings are for drivers who are willing to sacrifice the vibration from the reflector bumps for better steering feel. This is the similar to adding a gigantic anti-roll bar, lowering springs, shocks, 17+ inch wheels, and perhaps even an exhaust (although probably a more pleasing vibration). I changed my front lowers and I'm happy with it until it squeaks or my chassis splits in two.

You could try the Vlamo's bushings http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/bushes/bushes.htm

Last edited by Buttercup; 12-19-03 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 06:52 PM
tarq3
Driver

Originally posted by Buttercup
I'd have the say the Daizen bushings are for drivers who are willing to sacrifice the vibration from the reflector bumps for better steering feel. This is the similar to adding a gigantic anti-roll bar, lowering springs, shocks, 17+ inch wheels, and perhaps even an exhaust (although probably a more pleasing vibration). I changed my front lowers and I'm happy with it until it squeaks or my chassis splits in two.

You could try the Vlamo's bushings http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/bushes/bushes.htm

I would try those but i don't see were i could buy them. I need my front lowers and complete rear. I figure to it one time and be done with it
Old 12-20-03, 07:18 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Quality Ride

If you want your Lexus to feel like a Lexus then go with Vlamos replacement bushings.
I have ordered them and am waiting to have them installed and from all the research I have done they are definitely the way to go.
I will post my feeling after Xmas when I get them installed.
Urethane bushings are not the way to go on any Lexus suspension.

Rob

Quick Reply: Hard Bumpy Ride (What gives)