Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How low without camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 07:37 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How low without camber kit?

I was wondering to everybody with coilovers how low do yall have them set to where the camber wasnt affected after the alignment. I want to tuck it but do to Daizen not having a kit ready yeti dont want to change my tires every 6 monthes. So what do u guys say? 1.8" is safe? I know JT's aristo is slammed with his HKS's but he will need some new tires soon.
Old 12-10-03, 09:27 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have my car at about 2.5 - 2.75" drop, but i think the point at which camber will come into play is around .75" - 1".

anything more than that is where you'll start to experience camber wear or inner tire wear due to the drop.

i had my car at 1.75 for awhile, and you can clearly see the camber change in the rear wheels...
Old 12-10-03, 09:44 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the 1" is the magic number. This is about the L-Tuned drop give or take a 1/4". I am sure the Lexus/Toyota/TRD guys did not end up at this number for no reason.
Old 12-11-03, 01:25 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Yeah, my old TRD sportivo suspension kit barely drops the car. When I compared it side by side to my other (bonestock) Aristo, I barely noticed any height drop. So I think Terry is right with the 1" magic number anything more you would be messing with the camber.

I just bought new tires and maybe only put on 6000 miles on the car a year so I am not too worried abt tire wear anytime soon....
Old 12-11-03, 06:54 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is Daizen suppose to come out with the camber kit??
Old 12-11-03, 08:11 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The date keeps changing all the time...
Old 12-11-03, 09:53 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
When is Daizen suppose to come out with the camber kit??
No one knows for sure.....I've emailed Daizen and PM'd Todd @ TM Engineering (both) twice a couple months ago.....NO Response from either.

Pete
Old 12-11-03, 07:34 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Man 1"! Well I didnt waste $1700.00 on coilovers to have my car barely lower than stock. Hmmm I guess 1.5"-2.0" is how low im going to keep it . Atleast ill have some better handling. How low do you have your car set in terms of inches BlueLex? and You JT? 3"
Old 12-12-03, 03:18 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

I dunno about inches, but to give you a rough idea:

it's maxed out drop on the front, I can't even turn it lower if i want to.

It's about 2/3rd of the way down at the back, can't make it any lower or else the car won't look balanced and I will be scraping my muffler everywhere....
Old 12-12-03, 12:20 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is 1.5" lower than stock and the increased negative camber is apparent, but until I get it aligned next week, I won't know how many degrees exactly. With my current wheels/tires I can still rotate them (at least front to rear of course) so that helps. In my experience with other cars, 1-1.5" is not too bad-make sure the toe settings are right on so the tires aren't "scrubbing".
A good quality camber kit would be nice though...
Old 12-12-03, 02:32 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my car is pretty low ,don't know the exact numbers of inches dropped but i have even camber now.....i had the front lower but the tire ware was killing so i recently flipped the front tires and raised 2 where it is now and have even camber...but i want the camber kit anyway ...at the meet we talking about it and they say its in testing and should b out once its tested and approved...hopefully we down here can get a couple 2 test fit ...
Old 12-15-03, 09:30 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

I got full L-tuned suspension installed just recently....my fronts show negative camber already. I'm gonna take it for alignment this week.

Pete
Old 12-16-03, 11:54 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

I have talked to Todd at TM about this.

It does not sound like the camber kit is anywhere near a reality.

The max drop before getting into camber issues is about 1.5" front and 1.0" rear.

Therefore I am going to do 1.5 front and 1.25-1.5 rear.

Ryan
Old 12-19-03, 12:15 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by AgGS400
I have talked to Todd at TM about this.

It does not sound like the camber kit is anywhere near a reality.

The max drop before getting into camber issues is about 1.5" front and 1.0" rear.

Therefore I am going to do 1.5 front and 1.25-1.5 rear.

Ryan
Ryan -

I got full L-tuned suspension on my GS300. I mounted my 19s (staggered) last night...virtually same wheel/tire height as my stocks.

I just got a call from my alignment guy who specializes on dropped cars......he told me I need a camber kit for my fronts. Rears are fine.

Thus...with a modest L-tuned drop (about 1.2" all around)....you may need camber kit.

Pete
Old 12-19-03, 01:43 PM
B_Cruz
Driver

IMO I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lower it up to 2" and you are still good. It is a suspension myth that camber eats up tires uneven or faster when in reality it is TOE. After you lower your car, get a alignment and tell the person doing the alignment to set your TOE to '0'. This has been my experience with my past cars. I had Tein's (HA's)on my old car and it was on the lowest settings with the helper springs still in place. I never had to worry about bottoming out the shocks but thats a whole other thread in itself that I can explain later.

Byrn

Quick Reply: How low without camber kit?