Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Control Brace Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 09:52 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Lower Control Brace Question?

I'm planning on adding the Daizen sways and the TRD STB. Do I really need the LCB?
I enjoy a firm/comfortable ride as anyone else, but does the LCB affect the ride because of its added stiffness?

I did a search and was not much on LCB.. so I wanted to ask a few of you guys that had them or have them..

Thanks Alot,
Don

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-10-03 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-15-03, 05:46 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default No

It "suppose" to control the flex, not ride. Did not notice any difference with mine installed.
I have Sways, front and rear. Upper front and rear Strut Braces and lower brace with Tein Flexes coming on Monday. I would say that the Upper and lower braces are more for MY perceived piece of mind than actual gains in performance or strength. Looks good to boot.
Old 11-15-03, 06:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

The TRD replacement lower front chassis brace is clearly stiffer and sturdier, but since mine was installed with other stuff I couldn't tell you it would add alone, but my guess is you'd barely be able to notice it. Now adding braces that aren't there to begin with, like the front or rear strut tower braces and the monster Tom's rear lower chassis brace ARE noticeable, for sure.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-15-03 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 10:19 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TOM's lower front chassis brace made a difference I could feel and hear [it's the swing-arms]. I can't say whether or not handling improved [since I had so many other mods already], but the car feels much more solid/connected over loose road surfaces and things like RR tracks. And I had some suspension noise when I went to 18's and installed the Tein HA's that sounded better damped once the TOM's was installed.
Old 11-16-03, 10:44 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lcb

the toms front lower control brace improves steering & handling response the sways help keep the car flatter in curves. there is some overlap in their functions, but they are both worth having and both add to the handling of your car. also i would recommend the toms 6 piece link set and the toms lower & upper rear braces they will really tighten up the rear end and help make your car drive to the max. of its capabilities
Old 11-16-03, 10:47 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default handling

at some point you'll want to get coilovers they will be the final piece to your handling puzzle
Old 11-19-03, 10:50 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lcb

Originally posted by 3dog
the toms front lower control brace improves steering & handling response the sways help keep the car flatter in curves. there is some overlap in their functions, but they are both worth having and both add to the handling of your car. also i would recommend the toms 6 piece link set and the toms lower & upper rear braces they will really tighten up the rear end and help make your car drive to the max. of its capabilities
I have the cusco tower brace and the Toms Sways with the Tein Cs. I wanted to get more handling mods, which one I should get first the Lower control brace or 6 piece link set? I wanted to install one thing at a time so I could feel the diff.
Old 11-19-03, 11:17 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: lcb

Originally posted by Aristor
I have the cusco tower brace and the Toms Sways with the Tein Cs. I wanted to get more handling mods, which one I should get first the Lower control brace or 6 piece link set? I wanted to install one thing at a time so I could feel the diff.
Tom's makes sways for the GS? I did not realize this. You may be the only one who has publicly stated that you have one. How do they feel? Ride quality issues. We've been talking about TRD vs Daizen but did not know that there is another option.

As for hte LCB vs. 6-link, from what I've read, either one will make a difference. People who put on the LCB first felt a difference and liked it. People who put the 6-link on first felt the same way. I went with the LCB first to balance out the front one. When I added the 6-link, the difference was not as apparent as when I added the LCB but I think if I reversed it, the result would be the same: 6-link great, LCB minor incremental change.
Old 11-19-03, 11:21 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: lcb

Originally posted by Neo
Tom's makes sways for the GS? I did not realize this. You may be the only one who has publicly stated that you have one. How do they feel? Ride quality issues. We've been talking about TRD vs Daizen but did not know that there is another option.

As for hte LCB vs. 6-link, from what I've read, either one will make a difference. People who put on the LCB first felt a difference and liked it. People who put the 6-link on first felt the same way. I went with the LCB first to balance out the front one. When I added the 6-link, the difference was not as apparent as when I added the LCB but I think if I reversed it, the result would be the same: 6-link great, LCB minor incremental change.
typo I meant TRD , I guess I might do the LCB like everyone else cos' I notice everyone else has gave some great comments on the LCB. thanks for the info
Old 11-19-03, 04:42 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default braces

i think both the front lower brace and the 6 piece rear links are great additions. i think it would be fun to have you do the six piece link set first. and then give a review of that. the 6 piece link set would really help tighten up the rear end (which i think in stock form has the worst handling characteristics of the entire suspension system, it twists and flexs and wobbles all over the road and is apt to slide out when you don't want it to). since you've got front strutt tower brace, trd sways and teins along with a stock lower control brace you've got alot of improvements on the front end already, and i'm sure the car is handling better. now its time to start on the rear end. while we're talking you might want to think about that lower rear brace next, it is massive and really gets that rear end working as a unit, there are two styles open and closed and you need to check with steve at carson toyota to make sure you get the right one ( it depends on your type of exhaust). i've got the upper rear brace too and it ties the whole rear together but you do lose a little bit of trunk space. my wife has same year & model 99 gs400 and she got all the same stuff except for the brace in the trunk, as she did not want to give up the trunk space. i think that brace in the trunk helps but her car handles real well without it. that front lower control brace is the most expensive and is far bigger than the stock brace and its also bigger than the trd front lower control brace and i think it tightens up the steering alot. god i'm starting to drool thinking about how much all this stuff improved the handling of my car, it is so much fun to go fast around curves and then realize the car could go even faster if my ***** were bigger. now its me holding the car back. one last note from what i've heard all this stuff isn't always in stock so you might need to go with what they have. when i did it on my car and then my wifes car they had it all, so i got it all at once to make sure i got it. have fun its a blast and the anticipation reminds me of being a kid at christmas and you just can't wait. ivan

Last edited by 3dog; 11-19-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-20-03, 09:32 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

I 'm in Asia , so there are not much problem with finding those parts. I gues front what you said, you think I should get

1.Rear strut
2.6 piece link
3.front LCB
4.rear LCB

Cos' I really want to do the "it is so much fun to go fast around curves and then realize the car could go even faster if my ***** were bigger. now its me holding the car back. "
Old 11-20-03, 03:57 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default toms braces

yes get all of them & the car will handle better than a bmw540. then the big challenge is to find a great road like you see in the car commercials. lots of twisting banked curves like a roller coaster almost, with some short straightaways, and bit of uphill is nice to. i found one near my house but it is only about 1/2 mile long, add another 5-10 miles to that and its probably better than sex. i wish i had a road like that to drive on everyday.
Old 11-20-03, 06:42 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Aristor
I 'm in Asia , so there are not much problem with finding those parts. I gues front what you said, you think I should get

1.Rear strut
2.6 piece link
3.front LCB
4.rear LCB

Cos' I really want to do the "it is so much fun to go fast around curves and then realize the car could go even faster if my ***** were bigger. now its me holding the car back. "
Aristor,
if you have the Aristo TT, then there are so much more nice parts you can add. Tom's just introduced some parts that were specifically designed for the TT (does not fit on the GS ) and will definitely improve your car even more.
Old 11-20-03, 07:23 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: toms braces

Originally posted by 3dog
add another 5-10 miles to that and its probably better than sex.
No matter how much I like modding my car and driving it, I don't think it will ever come to this.
Old 11-21-03, 12:42 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

Originally posted by HKGS300
Aristor,
if you have the Aristo TT, then there are so much more nice parts you can add. Tom's just introduced some parts that were specifically designed for the TT (does not fit on the GS ) and will definitely improve your car even more.
Yeah I know , but really gotta figure out what to get first.... without emptying out my pockets all at once. heheh

Quick Reply: Lower Control Brace Question?