Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New GS3 w/ front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 01:57 PM
DaveG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GS3 w/ front-end vibration

First-time visitor and poster here. I have had an 03' GS3 for about 10 months now - only 10K miles on the odo. I wish I could say I love the car, but an annoying front end vibration has kept me from doing so. I've had the dealer look at the problem on four separate occasions, but it persists. The problem is most noticeable at highway speeds, 65mph and greater. The vibration is felt in the steering wheel and floorboard, and can be seen in the headrest of the passenger seat. This isn't a perceived problem, clearly something is not right.

The dealer has replaced all 4 tires, and just last month replaced the rears again and did a rear-end alignment (I know, sounds crazy to me too). They have been great to work with (Mission Viejo Lexus), but I think they are grasping for straws and my patience is running out. If this were a Chevy I would expect this nonsense, but not from a Lexus.

I've searched this site and found some past references to this issue, but they all seem to deal with 98' and 99' model years and tightening up the loose steering (which I think is still too loose on the 03'). I'm reaching out to anyone with an 02' or 03' GS3 that has or had a similar problem, and would love to know what they finally did to solve it.

For the record, the car is bone stock with the exception of chromed stock wheels which the dealer had done, not me.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

DaveG
Old 10-27-03, 01:58 PM
DaveG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GS3 w/ front end vibration

First-time visitor and poster here. I have had an 03' GS3 for about 10 months now - only 10K miles on the odo. I wish I could say I love the car, but an annoying front end vibration has kept me from doing so. I've had the dealer look at the problem on four separate occasions, but it persists. The problem is most noticeable at highway speeds, 65mph and greater. The vibration is felt in the steering wheel and floorboard, and can be seen in the headrest of the passenger seat. This isn't a perceived problem, clearly something is not right.

The dealer has replaced all 4 tires, and just last month replaced the rears again and did a rear-end alignment (I know, sounds crazy to me too). They have been great to work with (Mission Viejo Lexus), but I think they are grasping for straws and my patience is running out. If this were a Chevy I would expect this nonsense, but not from a Lexus.

I've searched this site and found some past references to this issue, but they all seem to deal with 98' and 99' model years and tightening up the loose steering (which I think is still too loose on the 03'). I'm reaching out to anyone with an 02' or 03' GS3 that has or had a similar problem, and would love to know what they finally did to solve it.

For the record, the car is bone stock with the exception of chromed stock wheels which the dealer had done, not me.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

DaveG
Old 10-27-03, 01:59 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Arrow

I think what you may have is a bent wheel!! Have they done a runout test on the wheels? I would have them do that first.....

Last edited by Letsride; 10-27-03 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-27-03, 02:00 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Arrow

Read my response in your other post!
Old 10-27-03, 02:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Dave,

I'd recommend you go somewhere other than the dealer to fix it if they can't get it right. I had the problem with my 17's and the local dealer could only get it to go away temporarily.

Went to a good tire shop that had new Hunter Balancing equipment and explained my problem. They did a great job getting the tires balanced right and paid attention to very even the lugnut torque when mounting the wheels. Problem went away.

Oh, and welcome to ClubLexus!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-27-03 at 02:26 PM.