Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Right Toyota in Scottsdale - STEER CLEAR GUYS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 11:01 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right Toyota in Scottsdale - STEER CLEAR GUYS!!

I've been going down to this local Toyota dealership for the past 5 years for service. I really liked it up until recently for 2 reasons.

1) I drive a lot so I am there almost once a month for oil changes and they wash my car every time.

2) It's close to the house and relatively convenient.

But - that all got overshadowed recently when I took my car in because it was dripping oil. They said they found that it could be either one or even two issues. Either the oil pan or the intermediate elbow piece that connects the oil filter and the block. Well, $522 and one new oil pan later, they said it was fixed.

It wasn't.

I went back to the dealership and they said - "oh, it's the other piece that was leaking too". Well, that would suggest that the dripping under the car would be LESS after fixing the first issue right? It wasn't.

So I thought, ok. I'll take their word for it and get the other part fixed. $288 and a new intermediate elbow piece that connects my oil filter to the block later, it still leaks.

Going back THE THIRD TIME, I explained I wasn't too pleased about spending $800 for absolutely nothing and the service manager came back and told me some bull**** about how once you fix one leak, it can leak elsewhere due to another weak area in the engine block. Well, that would make sense if the oil drips stopped for a bit and then happened again, somewhere else under the car but no, it was the same place.

The service manager had the audacity to tell me, "Clifford - looks like it's going to be another $520 plus tax to drop the engine, pull the tranny off and repair the rear seal that goes to the transmission." I was like - WTH?!

Well, I didn't have them do the fix obviously and I now have a car that is still dripping oil... and I'm out $800.

My advice to anyone thinking about going to Right Toyota - steer clear kids... these guys can't diagnose a damn thing.

Last edited by cliffud; 04-07-09 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 08:34 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say it, but most mechanics are this way anymore. Throwing parts at a problem will eventually get it fixed, but at what cost? I lost all my confidence in shops long ago. Are you positive it's a rear main seal even? If you have the time, you should clean everything really well down there and then drive it a little, enough to get it to leak and see where it's coming from for yourself.
Old 04-08-09, 10:26 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you used a credit card to pay for it, I would dispute the charges.
Old 04-08-09, 11:12 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'd say it's a bit difficult to diagnose a rear main seal. I agree with kyoso though; sure throwing parts at it will fix the problem...eventually. I think if they had cleaned the car, and let it run on the lift; they would've had a MUCH better idea on what was going. Well that's what we do at our shop at least.

Please don't bad mouth all mechanics; I'm sorry for what happened but not all of us are shady and money hungry.
Old 04-08-09, 11:58 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear that Cliff, especially since you have been a customer with them for 5 years. So far I have aimed to stay clear of dealerships for this reason. Although I am considering taking the IS250 to our dealer, SS Lexus, for all the services and in order to establish a history with them. Nevertheless, John and Edip at Motortek in Mesa, where I take the GS, have been great with me, so perhaps I'll take the IS to them too. But in reality it can happen anywhere and kyoso has a point, but he said most mechanics, not all.

Hopefully you get your issue resolved.
Old 04-08-09, 10:42 PM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, but thanks for the heads up. If I may suggest something--- Talk to the GSM or the Owner and see if they could give your next service on them.
Old 04-08-09, 11:00 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mex lex
Sorry to hear that Cliff, especially since you have been a customer with them for 5 years. So far I have aimed to stay clear of dealerships for this reason. Although I am considering taking the IS250 to our dealer, SS Lexus, for all the services and in order to establish a history with them. Nevertheless, John and Edip at Motortek in Mesa, where I take the GS, have been great with me, so perhaps I'll take the IS to them too. But in reality it can happen anywhere and kyoso has a point, but he said most mechanics, not all.

Hopefully you get your issue resolved.
What he said. If you still spend much time in the east valley give Motortek a try, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Edip and John. Btw Cliffud are you really driving 3000+ miles a month? How many miles do you have on the car now?
Old 04-09-09, 07:17 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Hey guys- just wanted to give you guys an update.

I went there yesterday to talk to the service manager and he wasn't at his desk so I go in to talk to the head manager of the service dept and i go in there all cool headed.

I tell them the straight facts:

* Been a customer for 4 years.

* Coming in almost once a month for oil changes.

* I never gripe if there's something that needs to be replaced/fixed. if they tell me it needs to be done - i let them do it.

* I've spent $800 to fix a dripping engine and it's still dripping.

* Their site says
"Our Toyota Service Center has the resources to make your vehicle run as good as it did the day you drove it off the lot. Right Toyota has skilled auto repair mechanics have spent years working on Toyota vehicles and will properly diagnose your car, truck, SUV or van's problem."
I would expect them to diagnose the issue accurately the first time and fix it or at least inform me that it's going to cost 1,200-1,300 to fix this pesky oil drip. I shared with the head manager that had I known it was going to cost over $1,000 to fix, I would have just smile and lived with the oil drip because $1,000 buys a lot of oil! He agreed and called in the service manager that was helping me out.

The head manager looks over my account - agrees that i'm a good customer and offers me to fix the rear main seal for whatever they actually pay the mechanic for labor. So I said alright fine - let's just get this over with so I can have a car that doesn't leak.

I leave the car there yesterday and today I get a phone call from the service manager and he says the car is ready. I'm like - cool, thanks. I then hang up and literally walk 5 steps and he calls me back and says "Hey Clifford, we've been working together for a long time and I've always taken care of you man. But for you to go behind my back and talk to my boss, that's just wrong. That's below the belt man. I really think it's best if you work with another service adviser here because you stabbed me in the back".

I was in disbelief. I told him that I went up to his desk to talk to him but he wasn't there. What else did he want me to do?

So essentially, I just had a Toyota service adviser tell me he didn't want my business. Unbelievable! Keep in mind, this is AFTER I've dropped $800 to replace parts HIM AND HIS TECH recommended and I STILL had a leak!

Eh, whatever the case - if you go to this dealership, make sure you go to the right service manager. The one that will shoot you straight and actually live up to his title as Service ADVISER and actually ADVISE you on what's going on with your car and let you know what needs to be replaced instead of accusing you of being a back stabber when you're complaining about paying $1000 to fix an oil drip.
Old 04-09-09, 07:20 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by csq860
What he said. If you still spend much time in the east valley give Motortek a try, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Edip and John. Btw Cliffud are you really driving 3000+ miles a month? How many miles do you have on the car now?
I'll check them out in the future if I need anything. Might be selling the car in the next 6-8 months though.

Btw - car's been in my possession for the almost 5 years and I've racked up about 155,000 miles so yeah- I'm almost going in every month.

Car has 202,000 miles now.
Old 04-09-09, 08:28 PM
csq860
Pole Position

To that I can only say: damn. I've had my car about a year less and put 35,000 miles on it in that time. At this rate I guess I can expect the damn thing to last another 20 years or so!

As for your experience with Wrong Toyota that's completely unacceptable in my book, I know you have a long time relationship with the guy but he seems to have forgotten that you are his customer first and foremost. I'm sure you don't want to make waves there but the guy sounds like he needs a serious attitude adjustment, maybe just an anonymous note to his manager would be enough to see that he gets some remedial training in the customer service area.
Old 04-10-09, 09:54 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mex lex
Although I am considering taking the IS250 to our dealer, SS Lexus, for all the services and in order to establish a history with them.
I would advise against this. I took my car there for an appointment that was scheduled 3 days prior, and when I arrived I had to seek out someone to help me (it was nice and early on a Friday, with 4 cars there) and he was a complete ***** to me. Told me that I didn't have an appointment, that he would have to "squeeze" me in, and then couldn't be bothered to tell me that the car was done. I had to go over and ask the very nice receptionist for service if my car was ready. If that's indicative of their service in general, I'll gladly drive to Scottsdale and deal with my adviser there - he calls me and works with me to get me in and out as painlessly as possible. The ONLY reason I even went to SS was because they were new and offered a free service. I figured a test run at no cost would be a good way to go - and it was. It led me back to Scottsdale and the level of service I expect.

Big Mack
Old 04-10-09, 11:46 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
I would advise against this. I took my car there for an appointment that was scheduled 3 days prior, and when I arrived I had to seek out someone to help me (it was nice and early on a Friday, with 4 cars there) and he was a complete ***** to me. Told me that I didn't have an appointment, that he would have to "squeeze" me in, and then couldn't be bothered to tell me that the car was done. I had to go over and ask the very nice receptionist for service if my car was ready. If that's indicative of their service in general, I'll gladly drive to Scottsdale and deal with my adviser there - he calls me and works with me to get me in and out as painlessly as possible. The ONLY reason I even went to SS was because they were new and offered a free service. I figured a test run at no cost would be a good way to go - and it was. It led me back to Scottsdale and the level of service I expect.

Big Mack
I've been there twice in previous occasions for service, and everything went smoothly. If I go again, I'll be extra sure that everything is taken care of. Thanks for the heads up.

Cliff I can't believe the guy doesn't you as a customer anymore, you'd think the way things are now, he'd be trying his extra best to keep his customers. I think you did the right thing, he didn't take care of the leak after you had the work done. If they messed up and diagnosed the problem incorrectly, it should be on their end to correct their mistake free of charge, especially after you paid $800. BTW, are your choices for a new car still the same since the last time we talked? I don't want to say in case it's a surprise, I don't want to give it away .
Old 04-14-09, 09:36 PM
SATXSC400
Pole Position

Some Lexus employees can be just as snoby and inconsiderate as some of their customers. Stinks you had to go through that then be called a back stabber. You could really raise hell if you contacted Lexus Corp offices about your pleasant experience.
Old 04-15-09, 08:46 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Well I'd say it's a bit difficult to diagnose a rear main seal. I agree with kyoso though; sure throwing parts at it will fix the problem...eventually. I think if they had cleaned the car, and let it run on the lift; they would've had a MUCH better idea on what was going. Well that's what we do at our shop at least.

Please don't bad mouth all mechanics; I'm sorry for what happened but not all of us are shady and money hungry.
Please believe I'm not categorizing ALL mechanics, but a good one that you can really trust to properly diagnose and repair is becoming very hard to find. And at a dealer in North Scottsdale with a loyal customer no less? I'm sure if misdiagnosed repairs came out of the mechanic's pocket instead of the customers, these types of issues would almost never happen. A lot of the new school guys take 0.0 pride in their work, in any industry. All I'm saying, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. It's too bad.
Old 05-09-09, 09:19 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that sucks, Clifford! I am sorry to hear that. That is why I try to do all the work myself on my vehicles. I just hate driving to the dealership, speaking to a service manager whom has no clue about cars and then to have their glorified oil changers that they call technicians work on my car when I know more than they do about vehicles in general.

I would contact Toyota corporate and see what they can do to help with the situation. If they can't help you then I would contact your credit card company and dispute the charges. Plain and simple, you took your car to the dealership because of a known oil leak, they told that they could fix it *TWICE*, you paid them for the same service *TWICE* and you still have the same problem!

And if neither one of these work, "3 ON YOUR SIDE" may be your last solution!

Good luck either way!

Quick Reply: Right Toyota in Scottsdale - STEER CLEAR GUYS!!