Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Good Place to Tint Windows in Dallas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 10:01 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Place to Tint Windows in Dallas?

Anyone know a good place that does a good job with good craftsmanship for tinting windows in the Dallas area?
Old 02-22-07, 11:20 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually interested in knowing this, too. I'm about to get my windows tinted, and am looking for a place near downtown Plano if possible, that does Huper Optik tint.

I have found this place called Alta Mere on W Plano Parkway and Coit road. I don't know too much about it, but I've heard one positive impression:

www.windowtintplano.com

And if they're licensed to do HO tint, they should be pretty good I think. I hear they're pretty selective about HO dealers.
Old 02-23-07, 08:41 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have use Pro Tint for over 10 years on numerous cars. They are one of the best in my opinion. Not sure what tints they are using now but give them a call. They also will not tint beyond what is allowed by state law. Give them a call. Claudio is the owner and is a really good guy. http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&rls...authority&cd=1
Old 02-24-07, 09:45 AM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

I second Pro Tint. I got my IS tinted there with HO tint.
Old 02-24-07, 06:21 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

PNice, how much did they charge you for that?

Good to know they have some experience with IS's, though, as I'm hearing there's some unique things about our cars that many of these places don't know about.

They're kinda far away, though, heh. I wish someone here had experience with Alta Mere.
Old 02-24-07, 09:45 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

what is HO tint?
I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get some prices.
Old 02-26-07, 09:33 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

HO = Huper Optik. It's a special non-metallic tint designed especially for heat rejection... or at least that's the characteristic I'm most interested in.
Old 02-27-07, 11:39 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

I had my van's tint done at Earmark while they installed my sound system. The work and tint quality is A+!

I had my ES300's tint done at Alta Mere in Plano. The work was A- (one corner on the driver's window has worked loose, and they left my CHMSL off, until I called it to their attention). The tint quality is A to A+.

I need to go back by there and get them to fix this corner. Then I'll be able to tell you how well they stand behind their work.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 02-27-07 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-27-07, 01:41 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I just called both Pro Tint and Alta Mere. PT wanted $400 for HO tint, and was able to give me an appt this Saturday.

Alta Mere, as it turns out, no longer offers HO tint. And even if they did, I don't think I would have used them, and I don't recommend them to anyone else for the mere fact that the guy who answered the phone was a complete jackass.
Old 02-27-07, 04:13 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Alta Mere, as it turns out, no longer offers HO tint. And even if they did, I don't think I would have used them, and I don't recommend them to anyone else for the mere fact that the guy who answered the phone was a complete jackass.
I had that SAME PROBLEM the first time I went there. Unless it's one person named Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, they apparently have one decent guy and one j/a as described above.
Old 02-27-07, 05:59 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Why did you come back after you got Mr. Hyde the first time?
Old 02-27-07, 07:05 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Several years ago, I spoke with the j/a at the Plano Alta Mere and decided "Screw it!" They were high on the old tint removal and he was basically just kind of rude, in a not-trying-to-be-service-oriented kind of way. F that.

But then, months later I chatted with a really nice lady at Alta Mere downtown, on Lemmon. They were $25 cheaper on the old tint removal, but money was kind of tight at that moment. More months went by and when I finally decided to pull the trigger on the tint, the lady was "no longer employed" at the Lemmon shop. So I cooled on the tint idea for a few more months.

Then a contact at Davenport Motor Co. (my Lexus service place in Plano) told me that they typically refer to Alta Mere next door (on Plano Pkwy.). They've never given me a bad reference and it'd been a LONG while, so I thought, "Why not give 'em a 2nd look? Maybe the j/a is no longer employed."

Luckily the 2nd time I went it was a polite and helpful guy, and he took care of my process the whole way through. It seems to be luck of the draw. I'd sure like to put a name with the Mr. Hyde fellow so I could request NOT to be served by him. *lol*

But like I said, I didn't get the A+ service from them, so I'm not recommending them in any way. I am happy with the tint though ('cept for the one place that's pulling). Hopefully I'll find Mr. Nice again when I go back.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 02-27-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-02-07, 08:47 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

why does it cost 400bucks to get tint over here?

i got tint on 3 cars in los angeles for 120-140 each car.
is it the material or does it cost that much in general for the labor?
Old 03-03-07, 10:18 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tttp5
why does it cost 400bucks to get tint over here?

i got tint on 3 cars in los angeles for 120-140 each car.
is it the material or does it cost that much in general for the labor?
It's 400 for the HO tint...regular tint is probably $250. You can get windows tinted here for that price, but it's crappy tint (it will fade and does not have a lifetime warranty). I don't know about you, but I can't stand purple tint.

The HO tint block over 60% of the heat while most tints block between 35-50% of the heat.
Old 03-07-07, 05:35 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So I just got the HO tint done at Pro Tint (I missed my Saturday appointment due to a hangover and had to reschedule for today)... It looked pretty good, but I was in a rush and didn't get to inspect it very closely before driving off.

It just sucks that it takes like a month for this stuff to dry...

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 03-07-07 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Good Place to Tint Windows in Dallas?