Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Shop Suggestions in Nashville for Engine Swap on '99 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 10:56 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shop Suggestions in Nashville for Engine Swap on '99 LS 400

Hi all,
My sister has been driving my '99 LS 400 since I bought an IS 350 and the timing belt bit the dust....since its an interference engine...tldr:engine is toast. I had warned my dad that it needed to be done if she kept driving it, and it was on the list to do, I even had the parts but with working full-time and being semi-nervous replacing it on an interference engine I never did it myself (I did do it on my SC, but that was non-interference and I remember getting the timing wrong 2-3 times before I got it working...granted I was 18 at the time too)

But it doesn't really matter any longer, I'm embarrassed that I never got it done when I drove it and it led to this happening...I've gone through the "I told you so" a million times in my head and truth is the damage is done and I just want to find the best path forward from here.

I've found a couple options for a replacement engine so I'm not worried about sourcing one, but I have NO IDEA where to go for an engine swap. I had a place ~10 or so years ago off 2nd avenue that did one in my SC 300 for dirt cheap ($750 for engine, $750 for labor), but they got wiped out in the flood and I never found out if/where they relocated to.

It's not necessarily a time crunch, I just don't want to pay a ridiculous amount to have it done. I'm even contemplating replacing it myself, although its not a project I'd be looking forward to, I probably have every tool I need aside from an engine lift. I know I have the skills to do it, and from 8 years of ownership and help from this Forum I know the inside of the LS engine with my eyes closed and that's the only reason I'd even consider tackling it. I've had almost every part of that engine out or replaced at one point aside from the actual engine itself.

Just wanted to see if anybody has a good suggestion on a shop that might be willing to swap the engine for me. The car is in Brentwood now, but I'm happy to get it towed wherever as long as I'm confident in their ability to do it correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help!!