Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

My 1997 SC300 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 09:29 PM
suprahero
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1997 SC300 project

I flew to Chicago Dec. 18th and bought a 1997 SC300. I drove it back home and thought I'd start a new thread about it. I plan on taking my 1.5 jz and installing it into the Lexus. My supra seems like a rattle trap to me. It has too many creeks and whines in it. The best thing about my car is the motor so I'm putting it into a newer body. Here are a few pictures I took with my iphone.

I took the wheels off today and raised the coil overs up a little bit. They were too low for the roads I live on. I also think it looks better now. They were too low in the back. I'll post more pictures up later after I've buffed it.

I plan on installing a built auto that I have. I also plan on changing to a AEM to control the automatic shifts. Hopefully this swap won't be too hard. I have most of the stuff I need. I think I'll get a harness made from Dr. Tweak and buy the rest of the stuff from www.driftmotion.com
Old 12-20-12, 08:42 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

can't wait to see this done!!!
Old 12-20-12, 10:12 AM
suprahero
Driver

I am going to have to raise the car about another quarter of an inch at all four tires. I'm still having a few issues with the front lip hitting. The car rides great, but that noise the lip makes when making contact with asphalt sends chills up my spine.........lol
Old 12-20-12, 04:09 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice looking SC man, welcome!

steve
Old 12-20-12, 05:51 PM
suprahero
Driver

Thanks Steve. I bought my tag for it today and let the insurance take pictures of it for the full coverage insurance. Hopefully nobody around here hits it cause there's about a fifty fifty chance of them being covered even though it's the law.

I can't wait to get this swap done, but I'm probably going to wait till spring to start it since I dont' have an enclosed garage. I have a big carport that's mostly enclosed. It's a bit cold right now to start a project, but man is this thing slow after driving my mkiii for the last six years.
Old 12-27-12, 09:14 PM
suprahero
Driver

I purchased a set of new rotors and calipers today for the front. I bought the ls400 calipers from Advance and I also bought a set of drilled rotars from eBay. They come with a lifetime guarantee. I can't wait to get these things installed next week. I was not pleased with the braking power of the car on the drive home from Chicago.

I also raised the car up 1.5" in the back and 1.25" in the front. I think it looks better. Some of you on here won't agree, but this car would not make it on our local roads with it as low as it was. It also rides a lot better. I softened the coilovers with the dampner about as far as they would go. Once I get through clay barring it, I'll post up some new pictures. Thanks, Jay
Old 12-29-12, 11:07 AM
need2boost
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good man!
Old 12-30-12, 05:32 PM
suprahero
Driver

Today I finished clay barring it. I think my dog has jumped up on it and scratched the passengers side door. It already has a few nicks and scratches in it, but I don't need him doing any more.

I started to take my work equips off of the supra and put them on one side of the lexus today to see what they looked like. It was about ten degrees to cold for that though. It was more of a stay in the house and watch t.v. day after washing the car.

I've got a busy week this week and next. If the weather gets any better, I'll clean it up and take it somewhere to get a few pictures of it. I'd like to know what you guys think about the new ride height. I don't think you'll like it because every picture I see, someone is telling someone else to lower their car even more. Ugggghhhhh!!!!!!

Living where I live, I don't have that option. Most people around here own four wheel drive trucks for a reason....lol
Old 12-31-12, 08:13 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't know the original owner was selling this car! I've seen it on the boards, looks like a super clean ride, congrats! Looking forward to seeing more of it!
Old 12-31-12, 03:24 PM
suprahero
Driver

It's a pretty clean ride. It's got a few paint chips in it, but over all it's a good looking car. I'll get started on the swap sometime in early spring. I'll try to accumulate all of my parts this winter. I can't wait. I'm not used to riding in a two hundred horsepower car.........lol
Old 01-04-13, 06:29 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suprahero
I'm not used to riding in a two hundred horsepower car.........lol
You sound like a horsepower snob.
Old 01-04-13, 06:45 PM
suprahero
Driver

I might be, but I was merely making an observation.............lol

On a side note, I got my new rotors and calipers in today. I will hopefully get them put on tomorrow, but first I'm going to bham to buy my wife a ford fusion.
Old 01-04-13, 09:37 PM
MzKaylee
Driver

Oh nice!!!! ^__^
Old 01-06-13, 09:30 AM
suprahero
Driver

Ford's bought. I'm going outside now to replace these not so good brakes with what I hope is a great upgrade. The stock brakes on this car seem awful. If I don't report back sometime tonight, call 911 and tell them the car is resting securely onto my legs and please send help.
Old 01-06-13, 01:42 PM
suprahero
Driver

Out with the old.

In with the new.

Here it is with the brakes bled and the lug nuts tightened. All that's left is a test drive.

Luckily by the grace of God, no humans or animals were injured in the application or test drive of the new brakes. They feel a bit spongy at the moment, but they do stop way better. I might try bleeding them again tomorrow after I get home from work.

Quick Reply: My 1997 SC300 project